218358 Bullies, 6874 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you watch grappling competition footage?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 90.70%
  • No

4 9.30%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    I was stiff from having to sit in the bleachers for about five hours before actually getting to fight.

I won my first match. Unfortunately the grips didn't really help me do that because the guy was a lot stronger than me and just manhandled me on my feet. I was fighting at the bottom of the superheavyweight class. Luckily for some reason, the guy decided to pull guard even though he was yanking me around with ease. From there, I eventually passed to his side and held the position to get an advantage in points. Time was called and I advanced.

In my second match, I lost to a guillotine choke after getting a single leg takedown. I've been working on that takedown every time I get on the mat from then until now. Hopefully, I'll run into him again this Sunday at the Renzo Gracie Invitational.

But, back to the grip clips. Those have been quite helpful in my stand-up game. Using those principals have made it tougher for the bigger guys in my class to score easy takedowns on me.
    Sweet. The ideas on those clips have helped me a lot as well. Unfortunately I had to remove those clips out of youtube due to a threatening-looking e-mail... something related to copyright infrightment :P

I bought a book recently, Neil Adam's "Grips" - it's a Godsend. You should get it if you can as it cover those little details that make all the difference to make someone your bitch (or to avoid becoming someone's bitch :P)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Office Drone

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't watch grappling instructionals or competitions with any regularity (occasional youtube/bullshido link), although I do watch MMA sometimes.

In my defense, the little time I have for BJJ I spend rolling/drilling or doing some kind of conditioning, I'm just not in the kind of position to 'immerse' myself in grappling.

This shortcoming becomes very noticeable when I try to discuss the details of techniques or the new moves out on the grappling circuit as the descriptions have no intuitive meaning to me and I don't feel I learn anything from them; like a foreign language.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I do. Oh **** what am I doing here...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    In my second match, I lost to a guillotine choke after getting a single leg takedown.
    Look up next time...DON'T LOOK DOWN...wait...I shouldn't be advising anyone...I am so slow I couldn't shoot against your Grandmother.
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:04am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch instrutionals and competition footage for the fun of it, not for learning experience. As a fan of MA I like watching world class fighters going at it at a higher level. I think learning out of instructionals when you don't have a solid base will lead you to bad habits, so I keep it low and focus on basics that I am taught, at least until I become a blue belt.

PS-Sometimes I use Aesopian's articles to surprise people and choke their asses out, but just the ones that I feel I can pull off.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 10:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch as much as my wife will let me. I'm probably split with the percentage being 80% competition and 20% instructionals. This is for BJJ and sub. grap. I'm not including the MMA stuff.

For the most part I try to watch the ADCC and grappler's quest stuff for no-gi and the Munds for gi comp. I really like the OTM 101 Submission series as well.

The comp footage is more enjoyable to me than the instructionals. The instructionals are good for there limited purpose to demonstrate a particular tech but getting on the mat and watching live action is more beneficial in my opinion.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 7:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you get more out of tournament footage than instructionals?

By the way, if you're watching the Mundials, you might as well watch the Pan Ams, too.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 7:03am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch alot of wrestling footage. Helps you see setups for different moves and just general strageties. Its certainly helped my game a bit.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123