225050 Bullies, 3951 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you watch grappling competition footage?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 90.70%
  • No

4 9.30%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ADCC on DVD, and I whore youtube, google, judoinfo and emule/bittorrent for any clip I can find on Judo (olympics, regional comps, anything.) I wish I could have filmed a lot more of the adult bouts at NAGA Miami 2006, as that would be a good source of comp footage to watch.

*** EDIT ***

I haven't had much luck in finding good wrestling clips :(
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 10:36pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to thank mmatracker for all my bittorrent downloads!
    of late, i've been watching the Pan Ams 2006....brown and black belt matches, great stuff

otherwise, ADCC is always top notch

or those 101 submissions vids....nothin but highlights of great subs

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 5:36am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch matches I find on youtube, mostly to check out the greats of BJJ.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have DVDs of every match my classmates and I have taken part in since I have been training...watch them often. I usually skip over my matches though. :-(

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 4:34pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well maybe it wasn't quite footage. But watching my instructor compete and pwn his opponents with the exact same moves he's been trying to teach me all along gave me great confidence in my training.

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 4:39pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should have phrased the question in a way that made it obvious that I was talking about viewing competition footage with a critical eye. Are you analyzing what's going on in the match? Trying to figure out how each player is working his game? What's working, what's not? What were the consequences of the mistakes that each player made? So forth and so on.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 4:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want a really easy example of a way to do this, read up on Eduardo Telles' instructionals on turtle guard, then watch some of his competition footage. The 2005 Pan Ams are an excellent place to start.

Compare. Contrast. What worked? What didn't?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 5:32pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever since my first tournament on October, I have been searching Youtube weekly for new grappling competition clips. Mostly for entertainment, but also as a source of motivation to do better in my next one.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    Ever since my first tournament on October, I have been searching Youtube weekly for new grappling competition clips. Mostly for entertainment, but also as a source of motivation to do better in my next one.
    Not to derail much, how did it go? Did the kumikata (grip) clips helped in any way?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 6:58pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was stiff from having to sit in the bleachers for about five hours before actually getting to fight.

I won my first match. Unfortunately the grips didn't really help me do that because the guy was a lot stronger than me and just manhandled me on my feet. I was fighting at the bottom of the superheavyweight class. Luckily for some reason, the guy decided to pull guard even though he was yanking me around with ease. From there, I eventually passed to his side and held the position to get an advantage in points. Time was called and I advanced.

In my second match, I lost to a guillotine choke after getting a single leg takedown. I've been working on that takedown every time I get on the mat from then until now. Hopefully, I'll run into him again this Sunday at the Renzo Gracie Invitational.

But, back to the grip clips. Those have been quite helpful in my stand-up game. Using those principals have made it tougher for the bigger guys in my class to score easy takedowns on me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast