225124 Bullies, 4036 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you watch grappling competition footage?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 90.70%
  • No

4 9.30%
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 2:10pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you watch competition footage?

As a fun diversion from wrestlers trying to turn BJJ into catchwrestling and apparently succeeding, I thought I'd make a relaxed thread to discuss homework strategies.

When I still lived in Louisville, one of my BJJ coaches swore by watching competition footage instead of instructionals. He felt that it gives you a better feel for the "pulse" of the techniques you see, as well as keeping you up to date on what the competition is doing. It obviously worked very well for him, as he is a retardedly good brown belt and probably should be a black belt.

I tried doing this for awhile, but didn't get much out of it until I was around the blue belt level. Whoring the internet to learn new techniques helped a lot, too. Anyway, at some point, I really started getting a lot out of watching competition footage. Now I try to divide my time evenly between watching live competition footage (I try to get the Mundials and Pan Ams every year on DVD), watching instructionals, and whoring the internet for picture tutorials.

Focus: Respond to the poll. Explain why you do or do not watch competition footage. If you do watch footage, give us your source. Do you buy from BJJtapes or ADCC? Do you youtube? Do you torrent it?

I'm okay with this subject meandering a little bit, so long as it doesn't get wildly off topic. Judoka and wrestlers, feel free to chime in as well.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/14/2007 2:13pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch stuff on Youtube and google busty basically I am like

"wait ... what.. I don't get what he did."

P.S I watch it becuase I find it entertaining.

Even though I am not entirely sure what I see I enjoy and appreciate sub grappling.

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 2:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watching it at DVD quality/near DVD quality helps a lot with being able to figure out what's going on. The only thing you have to watch out for is that refs often tend to walk right in front of the camera. Sometimes they'll stay there for a good 20 seconds. Regardless, it's still the best way of watching footage, in my opinion.

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 2:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've watched as much of ADCC on youtube/videogoogle as possible and the 101 submissions dvds. I'm trying to get a hold of ADCC or the mundials via mma-tracker or something, I'd really like to see them.

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 3:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you could pay for them on www.bjjtapes.com . Well, the Mundials and Pan Ams (I actually enjoyed watching the 2005 Pan Ams more than the 2005 Mundials) at least. I have trouble justifying the expense to buy the ADCC DVDs, though.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was never a big fan of getting techniques off dvds or competition tapes, just a personal thing. I DO watch competition footage to understand the kind of dynamics that are involved in the matches. To see how well a slow game works over a fast game, or the other way around. I watch it more to get a strategic understand rather than a tactical one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 4:50pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that watching competition footage has been very helpful to me during every stage of my development in Bjj, and I'm sure it will continue to be a valuable asset.

When I was a BrandNewby watching footage just trying to name the positions and techniques I saw, and trying to anticipate what moves were coming when I saw setups, really helped me to understand what I should be looking for when I was rolling.

As I became a more advanced white belt, and now in my baby blue stage, footage has been helpful in learning new setups and combinations of moves I already know. Sometimes if I see a new technique which looks like it would really fit into my game, I'll try to figure out basically what is going on, and then work out all the details with my instructor later on.

I think that watching competition footage is def. more valuable than watching instructionals, because instructionals generally give a bunch of isolated techniques which don't nessisarily fit your game at all, and which have no connection to each other. Some rare instructionals actually do present an entire gameplan from some position, and these are probabley more valuable than competition footage.

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 5:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Or you could pay for them on www.bjjtapes.com .
    I really do not have that kind of money.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch ADCC, the Mundials, the Brazilian Championships and Olympic Judo. I generally watch them because

1) I love the sport(s)
    2) I try to see what the best of the best are doing in competitions.
    3) I love watching someone pull off something I can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 6:11pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watch a lot of Olympic Judo and wrestling. Aside from just general interest, if I see someone pull something off that I've been trying to work I like to go back, slow it down and see if I can't gleam a few pointers from the footage. For example, my Uchi Mata has improved immensely ever since I saw a particularly good use of it at the Olympics and I was able to go back, slow down the footage, and break down exactly how tori pulled it off.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast