• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 3:16pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by r.c. View Post
    They make our tests sound like jokes, which, contrary to popular opinion, they are not.
    If your test can be passed by a 7 year old, it's a joke.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 4:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm looking at the original post, the date and your reaction I'm thinking you train with or are one of these kids.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 5:42pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it's not. If you're going to tell me it's a joke, say something in your comment so we can actually argue over this.
    My point was elaborated on by NeilG, see above.

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Hmmmm looking at the original post, the date and your reaction I'm thinking you train with or are one of these kids.
    ...I'm in high school. I'm 16. Not 7. Believe me, I'm not one of these kids.

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 10:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    If your test can be passed by a 7 year old, it's a joke.
    I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT HAPPENED. HE IS THE ONLY ONE.
    And he quit karate, by the way. All of them did. I haven't seen their family there in years, and I know they still live around here.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 10:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...I'm in high school. I'm 16. Not 7. Believe me, I'm not one of these kids.
    Those kids are NOW between 13-15. So, yeah, you could have been one of those kids.

All of them did. I haven't seen their family there in years, and I know they still live around here.
    So, the only difference is my use of past and present. I was right that you trained with them.

Learn how to read dates before you post randomly in an old thread.

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 10:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Those kids are NOW between 13-15. So, yeah, you could have been one of those kids.

So, the only difference is my use of past and present. I was right that you trained with them.

Learn how to read dates before you post randomly in an old thread.
    I didn't train with them. They were way ahead of me. I'm now a black belt, so we'd be in the same classes now. I'm around the age that they are now, but they got their black belts, like, 6 years ago.

Posted On:
    5/04/2013 11:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look. This is my last post on this article.
    I'm sorry for restarting a discussion on this old article and getting so defensive about it.
    I've been thinking about this a lot, and I've come to a conclusion. Everyone gets something different out of their training. For those little kids who go through the program as fast as possible end up testing in 5th grade, they obviously won't get as much out of it. For those of us who go through the program at a better pace and don't test until much later, there's a lot more to be gained. If you look on YouTube and search something like NYGKA tournament, you can see that some of the students at NYGKA aren't too young and actually become decent martial artists. If you don't believe me, I can tell you that in 2010, we still managed to take home 9 first place trophies from the World Goju Karate Tournament.
    http://www.lohud.com/article/2010070...leyball-finals
    I agree with all of you about the absurdity of the ages of some of our black belts. Too young, I get that. But honestly? To completely invalidate everything for which I've worked for the past 10 years of my life because of it?
    I'm ready to let this go now. I'm done responding to comments about this. Please, I beg of all you to let this go too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 12:16am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't train with them.
    To be young and dumb again. Yes, you did.

They were way ahead of me. I'm now a black belt, so we'd be in the same classes now.
    Yes, you trained with them. Just like when people train with a famous fighter in their gym and attend some of the same classes. They say "OH yeah, I trained with her or him."

I'm around the age that they are now, but they got their black belts, like, 6 years ago.
    Wow. Isn't that what I just pointed out to you? Yes, yes it was.
    But honestly? To completely invalidate everything for which I've worked for the past 10 years of my life because of it?
    I'm ready to let this go now. I'm done responding to comments about this. Please, I beg of all you to let this go too.
    The last relevant post in this thread was back in 2007; it was gone. Two people that trained here felt it was necessary to defend their training. Welcome to the real world where people find out things they studied may or may not be valid. Interestingly enough, no one has said anything about YOUR training. They have said getting a Black Belt that young is stupid. The test was stupid as well. Enjoy what you do, but don't get butt-hurt when people don't agree with what you do.

It is ironic that you didn't let it go, felt it was necessary to set the record straight and now tell us to "let it go."
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/05/2013 12:29am at .

Posted On:
    5/05/2013 12:24am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think of this as invalidating your time so far. Did you have fun, make friends, enjoy competitions? All of that is perfectly valid. To be honest, people here get a little wound up in what they view as realistic combat training. I don't think thats what you've been doing but that's not to say it isn't worth doing. Its just a little painful to face the reality of what it is.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678