Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    BJJ n00b
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teaching experience

I wasn't sure where to post this topic...

I wanted to get some feedback or trade stories from people who teach or had taught MA full-time. I'm not fishing for things to teach or how to teach, I'm more interested in the business aspect of MA, so spare me some flames.

Like most MA students, I taught in my instructor's school as an advanced student and as a Black Belt for about 2 years total. However, I didn't get much training in management, liability/insurance or other aspects required to maintain an operational school. I have read 2 texts on running a martial arts school, but talking with people who do it on a daily basis is probably a more realist source of info. Basically I'm looking for a second opinion.

Aside from teaching at my instructor's schools back in the '90s, I only have 6 months of teaching on my own, using my own curriculum, setting my own hours, fees and such. Here was my arrangement with the Fitness Center:

-I was hired as an employee so I was covered by their insurance. I used a medical waiver that was customized by a lawyer for this state's (MS) specific law.

-For the first 4 students I had, I didn't have to pay anything to the gym for renting the space. This was a fantastic deal! From the 5th student on up, I had to give the gym $10 per person. All around, pretty good.

-I was charging students $50 per month with no contracts for 60-75 minutes of class, three days a week, teaching a freestyle curriculum. I also sold merchandise advertising my school and was in the process of running an ad in the local newspaper.

I'm curious if other people out there have structured arrangements like this. Was it a good arrangement or a bad one? Since I had never been out on my own before, I have no reference to judge by.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Slipster... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    BJJ n00b
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    Personally I think you are charging too little, but not knowing your background, teaching time, style etc, I can still make that assumption.
    I was charging $50 a month because it was the monthly fee my instructor charged for 4 classes a week, 2 hrs per class. I figured since it worked for him for many years I'd use the same amount.

Also, the area I live in (McComb, MS) has a weak economy. Not much here in the way of business, mostly farm-related. I didn't want to break somebodies bank.

Also, I work as an Engineer in Louisiana and I make a good living at it, so I didn't see any reason to charge more than I did. I'm not bragging (too much) but $50 seemed like a good round number. The local Isshinryu school was charging $35 for 2 classes a week and the Hanmudo school was charging $75 for 2 classes a week (now up to $100). I figured in the middle would be a good place to start.

Again, I appreciate your input.
    Last edited by Slipster; 1/11/2007 1:34am at .

Style
    BJJ n00b
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    please send a catchy title that I won't delete as spam.
    Gabster-

I tried sending an email to you but it got returned, said mailfolder was full.

There is more info about me, where I have trained, who I trained with, what I'm teaching and what I'm thinking on my webpage at southwindmartialarts.com

Your time and input is appreciated.

Style
    BJJ n00b
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

On the website. It looks informative, but I can't say that if I was looking to find a school I would want to sift through all the stuff. I know the blog thing is kind of popular right now, but maybe set up a design with clear choices for your potential students.
    I totally agree with you. I had a dedicated site set up that was clear and concise when I was actively teaching at the gym, but now that we are putting the house up for sale and moving, I took it down. I will go back to a dedicated page, without all the mess once we get set up in a new city (Omaha, Ne or Council Bluffs, IA).

I read the same thing that you were saying, about charging more. It sounds weird I know, but that's how most people think: If it costs more, then it must be better. I hadn't thought of it like that before so that aspect was a real eye-opener.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I'd have to agree with Gabster almost word for word. I used to charge less and everybody went to a different school. I doubled my price and everybody joined. Go figure.

BTW I'm flaming you anyway (You're ugly and your pocket protector makes you look ghey...fucking engineers.)

Seriously though, the website sucked. You look like you borrowed the format of myspace. Websites for information should remain clean cut and to the point. Pictures are always good, sound and music is overrated. A black background might look cool for you but it is not inviting to the outside eye.

Another thing to consider is private lesson time. If you don't want to charge more that's fine but tell people that you are available for privates where you can concentrate more on the individual. That'll give each student incentive and make you look much better. (Yay, let's show you how to run a Mcdojo)

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never been much of a private lesson guy. I have had a few students that wanted to do private lessons and they just get to show up and pay me extra to have me beat them up. I know it can be a big addition to the bottom line though so don't rule it out just because I say I don't like it. Hell, Omega beats people up too, and it works for him.

LOL about the McDojo thing too. Private lessons and making a profit = McDojo?
    For a long time a lot of folks associated profitable school with Mcdojo. I just went along with it.

Style
    BJJ, MT, MMA, 9mm
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Seriously though, the website sucked. You look like you borrowed the format of myspace. Websites for information should remain clean cut and to the point. Pictures are always good, sound and music is overrated. A black background might look cool for you but it is not inviting to the outside eye.
    He didn't borrow the format, that's actually a myspace page. And yeah, they really don't lend themselves to a dojo page.

All you need is a clean informative page with the location, schedule, instructors, contact info and some pictures so folks can see what it looks like before they come for a visit.

Style
    BJJ n00b
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Well I'd have to agree with Gabster almost word for word. I used to charge less and everybody went to a different school. I doubled my price and everybody joined. Go figure.

Another thing to consider is private lesson time. If you don't want to charge more that's fine but tell people that you are available for privates where you can concentrate more on the individual. That'll give each student incentive and make you look much better. (Yay, let's show you how to run a Mcdojo)
    That's pretty good advice and I appreciate it. Running a McDojo is exactly what I want to avoid.

As far as the webpage goes, it's only a temporary site. I will use a dedicated page once I'm up a running again. I was using MySpace as a companion to my school's page, as the MySpace page was getting more hits than my other. When I quit the gym to move, I took down the main site and left up the MySpace just for advertising purposes. So I'm with you on that.

Thanx for the input.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by noto
    He didn't borrow the format, that's actually a myspace page. And yeah, they really don't lend themselves to a dojo page.

All you need is a clean informative page with the location, schedule, instructors, contact info and some pictures so folks can see what it looks like before they come for a visit.
    Huh, learn something everyday. How is he able to put website mask on that then?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last