Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bjj,Kickboxing,wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Breaking my fingers

I have had a bad run lately of breaking toes and fingers. I used to stub toes alot when I first started grappling/bjj but got better at avoiding that although broke my toes a few mths back. But in the last 3 mth I have had 2 broken fingers and hand and a number of close ones where I just had bad bruising. I know it is a problem I have of posting incorrectly at in the wrong places.I also have long fingers/toes.

Does anyone have any ideas to correct this? drill maybe to get me posting my fingers correctly. I was thinking burpees/sprawls. 2 yrs into bjj/grappling training now you think I would have learned.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    edit: damn, it's all serious now
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 1/12/2007 1:04pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:14pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a look in the DHS forum (grappling techniques and advice). Re-post the question or maybe an Admin will move this thread for you...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K, I am having trouble searching this site. (newbie)I will look better next time sorry.

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:26pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What type of grip strengthening and forearm exercises are you doing? Save the lame jokes guys.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, what kind of breaks are you having? I have broken two of my fingers as well in the past 6-7 months. Both at the middle knuckle and there was/is really nothing you can do about it unless there is some sort of dislocation or severe break and deformation. With both fingers the best I could do is tape the broken one to the one next to it for support and roll a bit more carefully until the pain goes away.

Both of my breaks were compression type breaks and a quick jerk from side to side fucking up the knuckle as opposed to something more violent. I've had them x-rayed only to have the doc say "yup, you broke your finger, looks like its healing ok though, take it easy..."

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, how exactly did you break your fingers? By the way, having long (or slender) finger is a bitch - I have girly fingers myself. It's not fun at all.

OP, why do you ask about sprawls and burpees? Did you break your fingers when sprawling/falling/trying to avoid a sweep?????? Or do you feel it was because of weaknesses in your fingers and hands???

You could work your fingers and hand strenght, but if your fingers are slender, there is nothing much that one can do. They'll be more prone to fracture than someone with thick finger bones.

What I do is that I tape my little and ring fingers together at the base, on both hands, always (or whenever I remember.) Don't know if it may help avoid a fracture, but I feel it helps in avoiding dislocation, plus it gives support for a better grip.

*** EDIT ***

Pizdoff, regarding your question, at first I started doing stuff based on this : http://www.grapplearts.com/Grip-Strength-Training.htm

Later, I started moving towards using towel handles for almost all barbell/dumbell upper body exercises. That is, I don't grab the dumbell handles or barbell but lift them with towels. My favorite is towel chin ups.

Same with dumbell curls, tricep kick backs, barbell rows, deadlifts, you name it. It really builds up your grip, wrist and the strenght on the little and ring fingers. Thick ropes as handles work great, too.

This is how I do dumbell curls:

With a rope

With a foam wrap (to extend the diameter of the handle).
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 1:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PizDoff, I am not too much at moment but usually rolla weight up that is tied on a rope. Do rows and pull ups using towel as grip.

GoldenJonas, 2 breaks from middle joint to knuckle and one in hand. One finger was clean break from posting incorrectly same wit hand. One finger was caught in gi and broke while getting twisted in gi and stupid me broke it pulling my hand out with force rather then technique.

El Macho, I dont think my fingers are that skinny although they are long. All instances of breaks have usually been where I have posted with all weight on a single finger joint or like the other night my thumb was bending down towards the mat while large oponent landed on it with his back.I could have avoided injury if my thumb was not bent( not sure if I am describing this very clear)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiwan-Evo
    GoldenJonas, 2 breaks from middle joint to knuckle and one in hand. One finger was clean break from posting incorrectly same wit hand. One finger was caught in gi and broke while getting twisted in gi and stupid me broke it pulling my hand out with force rather then technique.
    Damn. So your not talking about a break in the knuckle you actually broke the bone that runs from the middle knuckle to the main knuckle at the end of the palm. That is a bit more serious than my breaks.

Go see a doctor to ensure that the finger is properly immobilized and heals correctly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 1:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    Damn. So your not talking about a break in the knuckle you actually broke the bone that runs from the middle knuckle to the main knuckle at the end of the palm. That is a bit more serious than my breaks.

Go see a doctor to ensure that the finger is properly immobilized and heals correctly.
    sorry, That was a past break. All my breaks are healed now. I just had another close call the other night and am getting a bit sick of it. But love the sport to much to quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast