221415 Bullies, 3648 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 6:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently failed my first Judo Grading. Got thrown onto my shoulder during my first fight and had to pull out the second one due to the pain. That was 3 weeks ago and I'm still not able to train :(
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 10:30am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    I recently failed my first Judo Grading. Got thrown onto my shoulder during my first fight and had to pull out the second one due to the pain. That was 3 weeks ago and I'm still not able to train :(
    I'm reasonably sure I'm going to have the same experience soon. I have a Judo grading coming up in less than two weeks and I havent been able tio train due to injury for a month. Ahh well, more experience is more experience.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was the arguement that got me into this situation in the first place. "Go in for it, it's good experience. What's the worst that can happen?"
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 12:23pm

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no gradings in BJJ (well, I hear a few schools do it, but it is somewhat taboo).
    I believe Pedro Sauer tests for rank - at least blue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 12:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was about ten and my parents sent me to TKD no one ever failed a test no matter how visibly horrible they were. There were people I remember watching and feeling bad for because I thought they'd never pass but then got handed their belt and I didn't know whether to be mad or happy (for them).

Judo is awesome, for the first two belts Sensei doesn't grade you he just gives you the belt when he feels you earned it through randori and ne waza in class or at comepetitions. There is an e.t.a of how long the first two belts take but he doesn't stick to it, if you have been to a million classes and you suck to bad, if you came significantly less than your peers and beat ass at the tournaments you are getting promoted. In fact my teacher's Sensei (who teaches in the area) will sometimes visit and is surprised that he hasn't promoted certain people (Sensei likes to make it hard on us).

After the first couple of belts you are handed over to the official gradings where it's a point system and you either beat your opponents and rack up points for the promotion or you lose so better luck next time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 4:01pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by phuquedup
    I believe Pedro Sauer tests for rank - at least blue.

I should restate what I said earlier. In Saulo's association we test for blue, blue with stripes, and purple belt. There are no tests beyond purple.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 9:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by metallica
    i kinda failed once, on my first grading in TKD when i was a kid, i think i kiai'ed during the kata when i wasnt meant to, and ended up just getting my yellow belt with only one green stripe.
    that was when i was kid though, now i im thankful i left a few months after that, now i do kyokushin karate and my first grading is next tuesday, so we'll see if i fail this one or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    do you have to spar in the grading? let us know how it goes.
    last night was probably one of the toughest nights of my life. first off i was told to get there to the dojo at 6.30 even though we had to wait around till 7 which is our normal start time anyway.
    the black belts didnt participate in basics or anything else but instead stood by with clip boards so they could watch us and mark us. then the brown belts took everyone through the class, first was warmups then basics which went well.
    then shihan got us to sit down and went around asking everyone questions (all the white belts got asked the same questions so after the first guy said it everyone else knew what to say), i got told so say 'osu' better, with more devotion and not as weak.

then he had us go through stepping in zen stance and doing various things, from simple middle punch to reverse punch to front snap kick to middle outside block ending in another reverse punch.

then we went through the first five kicks moving in fighting stance.

then we went through kata, i thought i had to go through the first two but im pretty sure i just did the second one.

then all the white belts had to sit while the coloured belts went through the other katas.

then we had endurance, situps, pushups, squats. the white belts were told we could stop something into the squats and situps but we kept going anyway.

then when i thought it was over (9pm) we went into sparring and i had to spar 10 times, i was absolutely fucked up before then but managed to get through it.

and thats my first grading with minimum of mistakes made. i think some other kyokushin organizations go from white belt to red or orange but in the one im in we go from white to blue.

i had some serious reflections after it as well;
    *i was told repeatedly before hand but other (non black) belts that if you do really good you can also get a strip on your belt. i know im not gonna get it but im positive i did better then the other white belts, i always kept my zen stance long and looked before i moved in kata, everyone else didnt.
    * i was able to do the 30 push ups on my knuckles and afterwards when us white belts were resting i saw the yellow belt and green belt that were also testing doing the worst pushups ever. they barely bending their elbows before going back up. i thought that was a bit poor, especially if they do pass.
    * there was a little kid doing his first grading too, and im not complaining about that but it got me thinking about how crappy belt systems are. i mean this little kid barely had to do half the stuff we did and i know hes gonna pass. belts dont mean ****.
    * we were told before sparring to keep it light contact but all the black belts punches and kicks nearly knocked me out, no way they were 'light' contact. peoples egos get bigger the higher up they go belt wise. the other colour belts were great at 'light' sparring. plus all the other black belts were way more huge then i am which brings me onto my last point.
    * punching in karate sucks balls, yeah we punch air alot but when it comes to sparring i dont know what the **** to do, so ive decided to start cross training in boxing to get some good hand work going on.

well that was my first grading. the end.
    Last edited by metallica; 2/27/2007 9:49pm at .

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 3:40am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    middle punch
    WTF is middle punch?

ive decided to start cross training in boxing to get some good hand work going on.
    Yeah sounds like a plan. I wanted to do the same but there are a total of 0 boxing gyms near me
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678