Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 8:44am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really don't want to stretch your ligaments... that's called a sprain. Strength in the ligaments is built up through resistance training.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/19/2007 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is quite a good book and will show you how to do the tests to see if you'll actually be able to make the splits

" The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 2:56am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stretching should be just like working out, and specific to your sport. For example: if you are a Judo player, you would do well to work out with a sandbag. Almost all MA or MMA should use utilize a sandbag and unstable objects, and all should give it a try.

Cardio is the same. You shouldn't solely do long runs for cardio, instead utilizing your time with skill work and intervals, seeing that a fight isn't fought at 60-80% perceived effort for 2 hours. Runs can be included once a week or so, but not so much for the cardio benefit, but rather for the mental aspect, clearing your mind and conditioning it for the prolonged pain of a bout gone on too long.

Stretching, also, is the same. I like Tsat's opinion in a way, but it's not the whole picture. Much like running, there IS a mental picture. But it's not the whole picture. Why do your muscles grow in response to a strength training workout? Because they have been stressed in a NEW RANGE OF STRENGTH. The same should be said from a single stretching session.

Your muscles have "muscle memory" implying that when you use them to accomplish new feats of strength, skill, or whatnot they "remember" the skill. This is your incredible body's response to new stress. It must build itself in a way to adapt to the new stress. That's why it is so important to train specificity to a fight or your sport in question(remember the Judo players and sandbags earlier? Good, you can read). In his book "Core Performance" Mike Verstegen took a inflexible client and increased his flexibility 4 fold during a 10 minute stretching session. He accomplished this with one method:

He had the client utilize the body's natural reaction to tension and had the subject use his muscles in the new range of motion, therefore, his muscles "remembered" the new range of motion(new flexibility) better. He called this AIS stretching, Active Isolated Stretching, a cross between static and dynamic stretching. It goes like this: You contract the muscle, pooling blood therein for a second, then you contract the opposing muscle, forcing the muscle to relax, then go to your maximum range of motion with said muscle(maintaining contraction of opposing muscle) then pull/push it to a new range of motion, a couple inches, and hold there, for 3 seconds, relax, then repeat 1-3 times.

The reason for the short hold is the same reason people don't hold isometrics for a great length of time, or almost the same. The muscle still needs to retain memory of past range of motion.

The best ways to gain flexibility are through dynamic flexibility during a warmup(to warm the muscles for movement and develop flexibility through a range of motion), these AIS stretches during a cooldown(to leave the muscles remembering a new ROM and strength in said ROM), and through sheer use.

Olympic lifters, on average, have vertical leaps higher than average pro basketball players, less BF% on average than pro power lifters and strongmen, can lift more weight than average pro bodybuilders, and ARE MORE FLEXIBLE THAN PRO YOGA ARTISTS. Why is this?

Look at the O lifts. There are only 2, but they lift the most weight through the largest range of motion and end up in the most stretched position. Something to think about for all of us. Stretching exercises: Free weight, front, and breathing squats done ass to grass. Snatch done with correct form, Pull/Chinups from dead hang, Row from dead hang, flyes, deep dips(unweighted), dumbell bench press, dumbell shoulder press, farmer's walk, stiff legged deadlift, full situp(Rocky 4 style), reverse hyperextension on RH table, hang clean, deadlift, shrugs, neck harness, etc. Be creative. It's your flexibility. Remember: Whoever is a master of tension is also a master of relaxation.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123