Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just Had My First Tournament!!!

I lost.

Now that we've gotten that detail out of the way I figured I would post about the experience. It was my frist Judo tournament and I got there about a half an hour early. Junior competition was supposed to start at 9 and the adult at 12, I got there at about 11:30 but the Junior section ran long and Adult didn't start until about 3. Anyway there was alot of people that turned out; Jimmy Pedro was there and I got to see his kid compete as well as Victor Tatarkin whose match I also watched.

My division (81kg) shared the mat with the 91kg novice and later the 100(?)kg black belts. Both my fights were with white belts (like me);

The first fight I had started with us feeling eachother out and my opponent getting me with a single leg takedown though I pulled guard instantly and no points were awarded him. We stood up and he tried a couple of throws until he shot in for another single leg, I tried pulled guard again but this time I heard IPPON and it took me a while to realize I just lost. My friend who came to watch later told me that he slammed me flat on my back first and I pulled guard after so his throw should have gotten the full point...damn split second screw ups.

Anyway second fight (at which point I could recieve at best third place if I won the next two fights) and my opponent's forward movement made me confident enough to try Tomoe Nage (sit down, foot on opponent's hip and pull him down & over) but I didn't turn my foot out, couldn't support his weight and he ended up falling on top of me. I wrapped both of my legs around one of his to hold off a pin, started reaching for an arm but he caught me with a gi choke so I tried to be tough for a few seconds but tapped when I started seeing stars.

Anyway I lost but it was my first tournament and I'm not too upset. Hopefully the next one will go better plus it was fun to do...I realize I'm still a punk that lost though. =)

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BULL RUSH ON FUNKtastic!!!

Style
    Inept BJJer
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, good for you competing. You'll get 'em next time. It takes some sand to get in there and face someone who could conceivably really hurt you. "Gentle way," yeah right.

Did you tape it? A picture's worth a thousand words...

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First time sucks. It takes a while to get the feel for competition. You will do much better next time.

Two things jump right out at me in your description:

Pulling guard in judo is rarely a good idea. You now know why.

Tomoe nage is a gimmick throw and should really only be attempted if you have trained it excessively.* It requries perfect kuzushi and perfect timing. in 185 judo matches I never even considered it.

*and as a white belt I hope you have not been training tomoe excessively!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the support guys! Unfortunately no pictures, I forgot my camera and a few of our guys were in the 91kg division so Sensei was over with them (he usually takes a picture or two). I was the only one in my division from my dojo and you're right tomoe nage isn't the best idea but I've had success with it during randori (not trained excessively you're absolutely right) and since the guy was stiff arming to keep me at a distance while moving forward it seemed like a good idea but then again I was nervous as hell and not thinking clearly so maybe should have tried something different.

Ah well, next one's in early February =)

Edit: Pull guard is rarely a good idea in Judo....this is what I get for cross training with BJJ guys. DAMN YOU GUARD!
    Last edited by FUNKtastic; 1/15/2007 1:05am at .

Style
    na
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sutemi waza is not a basis for good Judo. Work on good standing techniques and go from there as a base. Also, pulling guard is the antithesis of Judo, its better left to BJJ.

Keep it up.

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on competing. Its a great experience, just keep doing it.

However, you got choked out from inside your guard? My god judo disappoints me again :-(

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Congrats on competing. Its a great experience, just keep doing it.

However, you got choked out from inside your guard? My god judo disappoints me again :-(
    Half guard.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNKtastic
    I wrapped both of my legs around one of his to hold off a pin, started reaching for an arm but he caught me with a gi choke so I tried to be tough for a few seconds but tapped when I started seeing stars.
    Apparently people do it in BJJ too.
    http://www.grapplearts.com/Brabo-Gi-Choke.htm

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just woke up about 2 hours ago. I read that wrong I thought it said he had him in full guard and he was choked. Which would of been sad. Getting choked in half guard however is not bad at all (well besides the losing part).

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he caught my gi while i was reaching for an arm....the escape from his gi choke wouldnt be hard since his hands are crossed i could have pulled my free arm over one of his and under the other then turned accordingly. i've done the escape plenty of time in training but it was my first tournament and i really wasnt thinking =(

Page 1 of 2 12 Last