Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 3:03pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think we should have a 40 and Over Forum?

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by panthersix
    Think we should have a 40 and Over Forum?

Count me in. No disrespect to the younger members here, but I know there are a lot of different circumstances that come into play as you hit 40ish.

Great Idea

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 4:30pm

Style: Still searching...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jill666
    Haven't had that experience for quite a while, but it sucks hard. Did it recently in a much lesser degree with the pecs. But at least I don't walk on my tits.

I second the using a roller- and flush your system out with plenty of water. It will not only help the lactic acid leave your body, it will help your healing. Make sure not to work the muscles until the knots are gone, then ease back in.
    Any lactic acid from a workout the day before would be long gone. If its sharp pain your experiencing then you probably injured yourself. If its just tight/soreness read up on DOMS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOMS.

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 2:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe this will help: Use the principle of reciprocal inhibition.

Let's say your right calf is cramped. For me, that means I cannot flex my right foot (dorsiflexion, where the right toes come toward the right knee).

We want to tell that cramped muscle to stop contracting. Use your left foot on top of your right foot to prevent the right foot from flexing at all. Now, flex your right foot has strongly as you can (dorsiflexion), keeping it from actually moving using your left foot. Keep the pressure on for at least 10-15 seconds. Your right foot won't move, so no pain (hopefully). Then, gently stop flexing the right foot, still not letting it move, until it is relaxed.

At this point, with any luck, your body has said to the calf muscle, "Hey, I'm trying to get things done over here, relax." (I.e., reciprocal inhibition.)

If both sides are cramped, then use an object to stop the foot from flexing (such as a heavy couch or bed frame). You are trying to create an isometric exertion with the muscle(s) opposite the calf.

If it works, great -- don't suddenly start making fast movements with the previously cramped foot. Give it a bit to recover. My experience is that it's more prone to cramp if you don't allow some recovery time.

This general approach works for other cramped muscles. Try to find the direction of movement where the cramping starts to pull and get painful. Then, back off a bit, stop the actual movement with something, and exert the reciprocal muscles to the cramped muscles without actually moving (isometric contraction). Back off the contraction slowly, etc.

(YMMV. I am not a doctor. Use common sense. Etc.)

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 2:19pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the way bayesian is. Smart person and it sounds like through the best training. EXPERIENCE!.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123