232293 Bullies, 4007 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most muscular soreness will be felt the day after your workout. Immediately after the muscles will feel tired and pumped. I'd recommend Deep Heat.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    No, I did 100 somewhat ballistic, bodyweight calf raises hanging from a step. This was a mistake.

I don't trust hindu squats on my knees as I had arthroscopy late last year, but I do go low on occasion for flexibility.
    Dude, did you even warm up before you did that?????? Calves are the most densely packed muscles in the body, and they can take a lot of punishment... but therein lies the problem. When you get them to cramp, they'll cramp like a ************.

Prepare to have that pain for days (most of the time, that's how it is.) I hope you didn't do unglodly damage to your ligaments between the heel and the ball of the feet, too. That usually can happen when you overtrain your calves.

Anyways, what BSD suggested is right on the money. Now, this is also something that you can try. I've never used it on my calves, but I've done it on my shins to deal with the occasional shin splits.

Get tiger balm or icy hot, and apply that good **** on your calves, from where they connect on the back of the knee joint all the way down to the ankle. Dig your fingers deep and strongly in a downward motion down to the ankle as you apply the ointment. Look for any knots in the muscle and dig your fingers in it.

Imagine that knot is a nugget of cheese and that you want to squeeze the **** out of it and make it flat silly. It will hurt. Hurt is good.

Once you have warmed up your calf muscles, wrap the entire lower leg with an ACE band (a 4" ACE band will do great), and leave the wrap there for a few hours.

Loose the band every now and then to allow the blood to circulate. Repeat the procedure every few hours. That is, that **** is around the clock. Stretch your foot and calves every hour, as much as safely possible. Stretching, massaging and warming up around the clock is vital.

Will it work in the calves? Oh, I dunno, but it works for me for shin splits. Before, a shin split would last several days, and I could not run for ****.

Now, since I started doing that procedure, I can get rid of one and be good for running in a day or so. So maybe this **** may work for your calves.

*** EDIT ***
    giggle, I said **** several times. he.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/11/2007 7:30pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 7:59pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Dude, did you even warm up before you did that?????? Calves are the most densely packed muscles in the body, and they can take a lot of punishment... but therein lies the problem. When you get them to cramp, they'll cramp like a ************.
    I think my mistake was thinking, "I walk on these things every day. How hard could it be?" It didn't feel very challenging at the time. I did warm them up; they come after lunges in my program.

But man, it's the suckiest thing that ever sucked. I'm feeling a bit better now, but I'm changing my gameplan as follows:

1) First, I'm cutting these reps down. Naturally.
    2) Second, this workout's happening on Thursdays, nice and distant from my actual classes.
    3) Bath salts, extra stretches and massage, plus BSD's suggestion on the day after. I'm a bit leary about the Tiger Balm/compression thing.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 10:36pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho

Imagine that knot is a nugget of cheese and that you want to squeeze the **** out of it and make it flat silly. It will hurt. Hurt is good.

You squeeze cheese????

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think my mistake was thinking, "I walk on these things every day. How hard could it be?" It didn't feel very challenging at the time. I did warm them up; they come after lunges in my program.

But man, it's the suckiest thing that ever sucked. I'm feeling a bit better now, but I'm changing my gameplan as follows:

1) First, I'm cutting these reps down. Naturally.
    2) Second, this workout's happening on Thursdays, nice and distant from my actual classes.
    3) Bath salts, extra stretches and massage, plus BSD's suggestion on the day after. I'm a bit leary about the Tiger Balm/compression thing.
    Meh, ***** :tongue3:

I learned that from my sis (RIP). She was a physical therapist, and she fixed me a couple of times with that type of therapy, specially below my shoulder blades (used to get them all fucked up when I first started lifting).

She would dig her knuckles on the knots - The pain, man. The pain. But I tell ya, she would set me right on the spot like brand new. Some therapists use the fingertips, others the knuckles or the tip of the elbow. I myself have at home this wooden thing I bought at a pharmacy, with knobs that you can use to "dig" in the knots.

Be brave and give it a try (and please take a pic of you when you are wincing in pain... muahahahah.) I does works, believe me. :toothy5:

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    You squeeze cheese????
    Why, of course!!! I squeeze it against pita bread, whole wheat bagels or my g/f toes, all the while making Bruce Lee like noises. That's how I practice my d34dl3y, cheesy dim mak. :tard:
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/11/2007 11:27pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 2:59pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, this week was going to take me back to kung fu and MMA, something I felt good about after hitting some significant health goals around the new year. Last Sunday, I decide to kick up my bodyweight workout a notch (I do a bunch of things, since I get bored easily).

The next day, no MMA for me. By calves, which were fine hours after the workout, are on fire. I can't walk properly. Even light massage is painful. My quads were pretty bad too, but they got better after a day. My calves are *still* in pain today -- a bit better, but I'm still walking funny.

Now I obviously overdid it, but I'm kind of flabberghasted that I had this grace period from the end of my workout until I went to bed, where I didn't feel *any* unusual pain. It only happened after I woke up the next day, and it's sidelined me in a big way.

Aside from (obviously) scaling back my calf workout, how do I deal with this kind of thing? It was a hell of a piss-off for me this week.
    Did you stretch and warm up before you started? How long was it since you did those workouts? Maybe you strained or like you said over did it.

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 10:52am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stretching the muscle really well AFTER the workout and before the warmdown usually works for me.

If you forget to stretch after the workout, you'll feel the pain the next day. If you stretch it the pain is reduced like 80%, from my experience.

100 (ballistic) calf raises shouldn't be a problem I think, unless you weigh a ton. Try stretching before cooling down. It works wonders.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 12:24pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your age? I'm 46 and I can't trust my body any more. Sometimes when I work out extra hard and I'm really, really paying attention to my body and it appears that I'm doing the same as when I was younger, but I'm not. Sometimes my body doesn't "fess up" till a day or two later that I was pushing this old machine too far, too fast.

Case in point, I'm 8 weeks out from shoulder surgery and my PT told me to go ahead and start lifting again, but take it easy with light weights and don't do anything stupid! So I get out my old Body For Life book and do the upper body routine with very, very light weights and only do one set of 12 reps. NO PROBLEM. I felt great.

Then I wake up at 0400 hours sore as crap!

My two cents, probably not your issue. Just thought I'd share in case some of ya'll make it past 45!

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by panthersix
    Your age? I'm 46 and I can't trust my body any more. Sometimes when I work out extra hard and I'm really, really paying attention to my body and it appears that I'm doing the same as when I was younger, but I'm not. Sometimes my body doesn't "fess up" till a day or two later that I was pushing this old machine too far, too fast.

Case in point, I'm 8 weeks out from shoulder surgery and my PT told me to go ahead and start lifting again, but take it easy with light weights and don't do anything stupid! So I get out my old Body For Life book and do the upper body routine with very, very light weights and only do one set of 12 reps. NO PROBLEM. I felt great.

Then I wake up at 0400 hours sore as crap!

My two cents, probably not your issue. Just thought I'd share in case some of ya'll make it past 45!

I have noticed as I approach 40 that the aches associated with an agressive workout seem to wait a day to let me know if I push too hard.

The next day just feels like a normal day after, but on the occasion I push too hard the real bill comes due the second day.

Not sure if this is an age thing or my own little slice of hell

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 3:02pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know i'm still a youngen in this world and not appreciated on this site but, what the hell. In the military I have worked w/ young to old. The age is one thing but, you are not in the 70's yet so their is still enjoyment of the physcal structure of the human body. From what i've seen and been taught ligting heavy like you were younger is a no go. Lighter weight and reps. is the way. you've had your time to be buff now maintaining for older age is important. Also, especially getting older food has effects as well. Monitor your food types. Bad food and good work equals 0, no noticable gain. Slice of hell is another way to look at it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast