Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 2:59pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph
    It is my understanding that it is actually a crime in a number of states to use the title Doctor or PhD or even Professor without having been awarded that title by an ACCREDITED academic institution.
    http://www.pedrosauer.com/pedrosauer/page.asp?id=4
    "Professor Pedro Sauer"

http://www.academiagracie.com.br/professores.asp
    "Professor Royler Gracie"
    "Professor Rolker Gracie"

http://bjjonline.com/maguilla/maguilla_bjj
    "Professor Roberto Maguilla"

Go get them Rudolph!!!

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 3:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i know about them. Professor is the one that I'm unsure about, but I'm fairly certain I read about it being a crime to claim the title of at least Doctor and maybe PhD without the title coming from an accredited institution. Could be wrong though. I may have just pulled that out of my ass.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by abombing
    Whatever you believe about his selp promotion style is your own opinion, but to question his credentials because you feel he has a big ego is wrong. Jody Perry is the real deal.
    Just bear in mind that it is common for people to make claims like Perry. As a prospective student or acquaintance of a student it is reasonable to be wary of such claims and attempt to verify them. The claims have generally been verified here.

And martial arts PhD's (or the habit in many arts to go by professor) are dumb.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good afternoon, it was interesting to wake up so late in the day and see this thread that I started resurrected. To Perry's son and student, lets go through this thread again. Even after started the thread, information was presented that the guys skills was legit. That was pretty much the end of it as others have stated. The one thing that tends to "get the goat" so to speak is the awarding and use of a PhD by martial artists and martial arts organizations. Even being a BJJ guy myself, I feel the idea of being called "Professor" is a bit arrogant. I've heard that has to do with how the word is used in Portuguese as opposed to English but that's neither here nor there.

In essence, it's like someone claiming to be a lawyer who didn't go to law school, a medical doctor who didn't go to med school; hell, even a journeyman who wasn't an apprentice. What these titles have in common is the work and requirements needed to get these titles. It cheapens the work of those who actually had to put in the real work to obtain those requirements. It's spits on all the guys/gals on this board, family, friends, etc; (are there are quite a few) who had to put in those long hours and write those shitty papers, and stand in front of those boards in order to get a doctorate. This is the main that that is bugging most people.

As for his creds, so far, those seem to be top notch. Then again, there are lots of people out there who have the fighting creds but still use what many people feel are suspect advertising, inflated credentials, abilities, etc. Just read around this site. If you have any questions of me, then by all means, go for it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2007 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Claiming a Ph.D without actually having a doctorate from an accredited learning institution is a first-degree misdemeanor in the state of Florida under FS 817.567. However, most law experts I have spoken to say it is largely unenforceable because it is overly vague. Still, a prosecutor could file such a charge if he/she felt like being a jerk.

Just food for thought.

Posted On:
    6/10/2008 1:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to necro this 6 month old thread but I came across your site while doing a google search on my old instructor, Jody Perry. Just wanted to set the record straight from someone who has firsthand experience of his teaching. I trained with Jody Perry in the early 90's in Rohnert Park, Northern California, while studying my undergraduate degree in the USA. I am an academic who is currently undertaking a doctorate, and sessional teaching, at Griffith University Queensland, Australia. I wanted to comment on two things. Firstly, Jody Perry's quality and qualifications as a teacher, and secondly, the awarding of doctorates to martial artists.

If it wasn't for Jody Perry's teaching I would not be alive today. On my return to Australia I was attacked in the street by a group of men who were trying to rob me. Jody always taught that it is better to lose a wallet, car, money etc...than to be killed, or to have to kill someone else. So I complied with the thieves demands. Unfortunately I did not have the money on me that the thieves had hoped and they started to bash me, smashing my teeth clean through the side of my mouth. Through the training I had received, I was able to keep my wits about me, defend, and eventually escape. It was a horrific and cowardly attack. I am positive that if I was unable to escape I would not be here today. The REAL bullshido test is not in the gym, in a cage or at a competition, but in a situation such as this.

Jody Perry's teaching in founded on self defense. Competition is an important part of that training as it prepares you to perform under pressure. (In Full Circle Sambo you cannot advance belts without partaking in some kind of competition) Jody was ahead of his time in regards to martial arts trends in America with a focus on cross training and the incorporation of many different styles and techniques. I even remember him bringing in striking coaches to train us when the UFC began and the rest of America was going through its all "striking arts suck" phase. He was also one of the few coaches that encouraged you to study with other teachers while training with him. A bullshitter would do anything to stop you training with others and revealing their weaknesses.

As far as Jody Perry's world Championship in sambo, I can vouch for it as I was training with him at the time. In fact, I was sporting a sling for quite a few weeks after hyper extending an elbow in the lead up to it. I know, I know, I should have tapped lol.

As far as awarding doctorates for martial artists goes, I can understand some people’s misgivings about it but really don't feel one way or another. As an academic, I see a change in traditional academic instruction. There exists now what are known as "professional doctorates" in many fields. These involve a high proportion of practical work and minimal writing of theory based papers. An example of this is in the Visuals Arts, in which one is evaluated on a significant final exhibition and a small exegesis of a few thousand words. Also, there is what’s called a “doctorate by publication”, in which the candidate is assessed on their accomplishments in the field. It is not unreasonable to argue that one’s accomplishment in martial arts can be assessed in the same way that the Visual Arts or a dance performance can be. I think it is valid, since the awarding of a doctorate is really only the recognition of one’s accomplishments by one’s peers.

Once again, sorry for the necro post, just wanted to present my experience in case anyone has any doubts still about Jody Perry's capabilities as an instructor. I believe he is a generous teacher who has given me gifts and values that will stay with me always.
    No bullshido,
    Jason Castro Dooley.

Edited for spelling
    Last edited by JCD; 6/10/2008 1:56am at .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456