232516 Bullies, 3948 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Perry's Full Circle - Grandmaster Jody Perry

Well this is how it started:

I was on the lockflow.com forums when I happened across the the following post:

http://www.lockflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=4812

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb959

Just had to tell someone. I got awarded my Black Belt in the Perrys Full Circle System last night! Cool
    Not that it means anything to anyone, but the system is officially recognized by the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame Council.......anyway, I'm proud!
    (Keep in mind for future reference that the person in particular has tag; similar to Bullshido tags, as a pro fighter)

This lead me to search out the following terms on Bullshido for any information about this style and the instructor of said style. The instructor is one Grandmaster Jody Perry and the style, as stated above is Perry's Full Circle. I did searches on the following terms:

Jody Perry
    Perry's Full Circle
    Perrys Full Circle

Search results didn't turn up anything. I found the instructors website link:

http://www.perrysfullcircle.com/

Instructor bio here:

http://www.perrysfullcircle.com/jody-perry.htm

He states on his bio that he holds black belts in Judo and Sambo as well as being the Sambo world team coach in 1998 and holds a national title in Judo. I couldn't find any information on this through internet searching so I don't know if it's true or not.

What caught my eye about the original post was the part about being recognized by "World Martial Arts Hall of Fame Council". The information is confirmed on Jody Perry's website. Sounded like your typical circle jerk for giving out rank, awards, awarding styles, etc. I found a link to the "World Martial Arts Hall of Fame Council" here:

http://wmahf.semkhor.com/static/wmahf_splash.html

I also found a few threads that mention it on bullshido here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...12&postcount=2

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...9&postcount=13

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...87&postcount=1

From the nature of the posts of these links, it seems my original assumption was correct about it being your "pay to play" hall of fame. I decided to do some google searches for Jody Perry and the only thing I come up with is his home website.

From his bio, he says he was a wrestler who started training in other martial arts for an edge in competition. If the original poster on the Lockflow forums is to be believed, then he does in fact train fighters. Unfortunately, the Bullshido warning flags are there and that is what has me curious. Here they are in no particular order:

Created his own martial arts style - CHECK
    Grandmaster of this style (all calls himself so) - CHECK
    Member of a martial arts hall of fame - CHECK
    Said martial arts hall of fame is the same organization that recognizes said style - CHECK
    A world champion (in Sambo) - CHECK
    Multi time winner (8 time gold medal holder) - CHECK
    World champion and muti time medal winner BUT no information on what tournaments/competitions, etc - CHECK
    Studied multiple martial arts to include Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (of course) - CHECK
    Has 10 hall of fame awards from 8 seperate martial arts associations - CHECK
    Calls his program Mixed Martial Arts (as in a mixture or martial arts or MMA the sport) - CHECK

I did find more information here:

http://perrysatc.com/

They offer Mixed Martial Arts, Boxing, and Kickboxing on their class schedules.

To end this long rant I'll finish with this. It LOOKS cool but it does show a lot of the flags of possible bullshido. My guess would be the people there train hard and compete hard as well. For some reason, I just can't get over the "Grandmaster" and "Hall of Fame" aspects of this school. Oh well. That's what this write up is for. If anyone can add any information then it would be greatly appreciated. Also if any students of his or anyone near the area can add anything that would be great as well. Keep in mind that this is not a which hunt or a personal grudge. All the information presented can be found using the links given, make your own determination.

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 9:44pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM Omega and ask him about whether this guy's Sambo belt is legit. That would be the easiest thing to trace.

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 9:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    PM Omega and ask him about whether this guy's Sambo belt is legit. That would be the easiest thing to trace.
    PM sent, thanks.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 12:32am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His website smells of massive ego...

I have heard his name before, but do not know him persoanlly. I put out some feelers on him but, here is my assessment based on what little info there is on his site and on the net...

The logo on his track suit in one of his pics is the USSA logo (US Sombo Association). This means he most likely was involved with them is some fashion. Based on the bio I found, he was with them back before the USSA split, along with FIAS in 1993.

Regarding his "Black Belt" in sambo. They don't really exist in any universally accepted fashion. And, back during the years he is talking about, the only person awarding them was the Densberger - now known a s a complete criminal (though very talented sambist)...his old association (world sambo federation) is now defunct. But, that is another long story not relevant here. In any event, based on Perry's claimed dates of participation, he may have been awarded a "black Belt" from Densberger.

I found a more detailed bio here of Perry:
    http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/jody-perry.htm

If this is all true, his sambo credentials are pretty good and he was active back before much of the sambo politics and splits took root in 1993. Back then most sambo players were converted wrestlers as he claims he was. Very few people had access to sambo the style, as taught by the Russian coaches because of the cold war. So, most US sambists were wrestlers or judoka who simply learned the sport sambo rules so they could compete.

Having said that, I have not seen him at any national sambo events in the last 4 years and I have been to most of them (on both sides of the political fence).

He may be a good coach, but his blatant self promotion would turn me off - legit or not.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 1/11/2007 12:55am at .

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 12:52am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Steve, that was a great post, and please tell us if you find out anything more!

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem, I will. Thank Omega too because he pointed me in the direction of this thread.

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 1:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    No problem, I will. Thank Omega too because he pointed me in the direction of this thread.
    Thanks a lot for the help. It started kind of a curiousity for me and it seems we may have something of an investigation here.

I am curious about ranking in Sambo. I'm familiar with Judo and BJJ which I both do but not Sambo. Can you give some information or point me in the right direction? It would also help those who read this thread but are not familiar with the ranking structure (if any) that Sambo uses.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am curious about this guy as well. I just heard back from my friend who has been involved in sambo for many years and he has never heard of Perry. This does not mean Perry is a fraud, but, it sure is funny because my friend [I did not ask him if I could post his name] pretty much knows or has heard of everyone. Here is a portion of his reply to me...

He is not listed in [the 2000 results] and I do not know him or heard of him. I never seen his name in the result column. I do have some resutls from the past US Sambo Champions and US World Place winners and his name is not on those either. A couple of years before Gary Reesor past away; I sent him US Sambo resutls from prior Championships. I did not have all of them but it helped Gary put together a pretty good listing of all the Championships since 1975. I have the 1983 results in my achives and some other but I would have to did around to look foor those. The name Jody Perry kind of sounds familiar though. I think he was a wrestler at OK State in the 1980's? I'll do a goolgle search on him, but I never heard of him being a Sambo Fighter.
    Regarding ranking, historically in sambo the only title one got was from competition wins. There was no ranking or color belt system like Asian based arts have. It was more akin to wrestling, baseball, or any other sport where you just trained and competed. No moral code, bushido, anything like that. Now FIAS is trying to institute a color system but people are not responding well. Historically ratings were given based on wins - or coaching skill only as well. They were "Candidate for Master of Sport", "Master of Sport", "Honored Master of Sport", etc. These were broken down into 3rd, 2nd, 1st, international class, ect.

In regard to combat sambo, the competative version only came about in 2000 so, anyone claiming "master of sport in combat sambo" before 2000 is BS (at least if they claim a FIAS Rating). The system existed (since before sport sambo) and people fought, but FIAS only sanctioned it as an international sport in 2000. Back in the early 90's there were some "Combat Sambo" events run by the WSF here in the US, but that was not really combat sambo, just submission wrestling with the jacket on. They just billed it as Combat Sambo. This is how Lloyd Irvin got the "Combat Sambo" title he lists in his bio. There was no striking involved and it is very misleading.

Some coaches and clubs do give in-house ranks for the measurement of their own students, but that is all they are - in house, not universal ranks. For example, My coach gave me an in house "Master" rank and a black belt, but it does not mean anything outside of our circle. I am still judged by the community based on what I do (though my liniage helps if my coach is respected). I don't really advertise my in-house rank. I just call myself "Head Coach" of my club. You won't find too many Americans with Master of Sport ranks from the last 10 - 15 years or so because after 1993, there was declining opportunity to compete on the international stage or even here in the US. Since I started sambo there was very little opportunity to compete in any significant way. Now there is more over the past 2 years or so. So, the in house ranks have become more important in the US to some degree. Also, other countries, like France for example, have national standards for martial arts and do set a curriculum for black belt. So, if a French guy says he has one, it is different than here.

Regarding the old WSF started by Densberger (and Pordash too I think - another criminal), they did set a curriculum and give ranks/color belts, but that was very new. That group is now defunct and many people won't even admit to having this ranking because they don't want to link to Densberger.

A few other groups do offer ranks.

I have an in-house system in my club.

Vlad Koulikov has a ranking system in his club which he has offered to other clubs who wish to use it. Obviously Vlad is very legit. Again though, his ranking system is his ond really only carries weight as much as people respect him.

There is some distance learning guy - Rich Rowland - out there who sells ranks and I had done lots of checking up on him...total fraud. Nobody knows this guy. I even contacted them and got his "partner" who gave me some names of coached Rowland trained under - nobody ever heard of them either. Complete BS. http://renzokujiujitsu.tripod.com/blackbelt/id41.html

Lance Campbell offers ranks through USA Storm - But, again, his ranks don't mean much outside of USA Storm. They are not universal ranks. Lance himself is legit sport sambo.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 1/11/2007 3:16pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 2:56pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can speak to the Judo aspect, it would help if he had listed what year, and division he was a 3rd place winner at, or even what organization.

Also 3-Time Olympic Contender? He must be talking about Wrestling yet I see no National Titles (one Bronze in freestyle and one silver in Greco) again, years missing. Tough to be an elite level wrestler able to compete in the trials without no national title and only placing once at Nationals. Division 1A? Division1AA? That would help as far as substantiate his claims.

A cursory search through U.S.J.A. Nationals results since 80 and I am not able to find him.

(btw, I am working from http://www.perrysfullcircle.com/jody-perry-awards.htm)

At least he lists a real Judo club in his acknowledgements, (too bad he spelled Cesar Gracie wrong)

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 3:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is feedback from another old time sambist who was very active back in those years, and still is very active in the sport. I will not use his name because I did not ask him if I could:

The weird thing is, yes, he did Sambo at the national level, but he wasn't what he says he was.

[name removed] regards him well, but acknowledges, as do I, that he..."puffs" way too big.

Then, of course, he boasts about Steve Siroy....Lord....Jody Has a MUCH higher profile than Steve Siroy, who was NEVER considered that big (or knowledgeable) in Sport Sambo. He certainly never was "the best US Sambist".

Those were; Greg Gibson, Ron Tripp, Sandy North, Clinton Burke, Steve Smith, Adrian Serrano, Rickson Gracie (short career), Mark Densberger, and one of the Machados (can't remember which...not Jean-Jaques)

There was a large "second tier" too...but Siroy wasn't one of them.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 1/11/2007 3:17pm at .
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast