Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 10:24pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red512S
    Hey Da, are you southern Vietnamese then? In my Viet class in school I was told that a regular-looking D is pronounced like a "Z" in english and a D with a little line is pronounced like a regular D in english. In my school we learn only a northern dialect, so that might be the difference. I know that dialects vary a lot, I'm just curious where in Viet Nam you or your parents are from? Just wondering. Thanks.

Dave
    Yeah...my mom's side is all southern; from Saigon,in fact...my dad's is northern, but they migrated south at some point, so he speaks a bit different, but it's somewhat "southernized" I suppose...nonetheless they speak very differently...and I guess when I used to speak Viet, I spoke very southern (English was my first language, actually...b/c that's all my parents and grandparents spoke...now I'm totally Twinkified)

From my understanding, northern is the true way Vietnamese is supposed to be spoken...it's the most correct pronunciation (I guess midwestern American English is a good comparison)...whereas southern is kinda lazy-speak and they speak a lot faster and more short/curt (kinda like north-easterners in American English)...

My old Tae Kwon Do instructor speaks "trung" or something like that and that's CRAZY different than both southern and northern...their accents are all basically the opposite of how the other Viets speak, so it literally sounds like another language...

Either way...what it all boils down to is...Vietnamese martial arts are embarrassing...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 12:34am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Either way...what it all boils down to is...Vietnamese martial arts are embarrassing..."

HAHA, true. I was just wondering. Both of my fiance's parents speak northern. I'll talk to my professor to get the video about Vietnamese martial arts.

Dave

Sin Dios! Sin amos!

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: Starting Over... Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    I was this guy's ICHIBAN SUGOI student for a while. More to come later.

I've heard chunks of this.... but now is the time to preasure you to share with the group

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 2:55pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah man, let's hear it!

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HTM World Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello guys this is my first thread. So first off hello. The VA MA school in Md i went to that school from when i was 15 now 35. It is not like the other schools that you here about in the VA MA community (not Traditional). It is more of an American style which takes moves from many different styles. He is a good Master but his good fighters/students has left and opened there own schools. Any ? feel free to ask me @(dwayneeaddy@yahoo.com) i hold a 3rd dan in his system going for 4th in NOV.

Thks
    Dwayne

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    deaddy,

Head over to newbietown and give yourself a proper introduction. I don't believe we have many VA MA practitioners on the forums. Lurk a bit and put on your thick skin and "sense of humor hat" before venturing out of newbietown.

GJ

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 6:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hwa rang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool !!! Vietnamese martial arts

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 7:08am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey, i've done some vo binh dinh.

which is like muay thai and kung fu mixed. fun. and we even sparred.

course, it was a dude teaching his kids and his kids' friends so...

and hey i'm vietnamese too! another vietnamese MAer that does effective ****. brother! and yes, **** the vovinam scissor kick kids. and for ****'s sake, vovinam just means fighting style of vietnam, how the **** do they use it to comprise their shitty version only?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234