Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    this reminded me of an OLD thread I started...

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9830
    I missed that one. A real learning experience! Thanks KP.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I only know two MAist with Vietnamese history...and they both train (or trained on Mrs. Praxx's case) in BJJ.
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Daito-Ryu Aiki-judo-jujutsu, includes techniques from Aikido, Judo, Jujutsu (traditional Japanese and Brazilian Jujutsu), and the ancient samurai art of Daito-Ryu. This includes throwing, grappling, and groundwork, as well as chokes, joint locks, and pressure point strikes.
    It may not say "We teach BJJ", but for truth in advertising it sure sounds like they so. It is similar to saying that judo includes techniques from BJJ when it is the other way around. They are saying it in such a way as to mislead. It is like the pictures form the judo tourney....do you think that is actually their students?
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 2:00pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taken from their homepage...look at number 4...I made all caps for effect...So they don't say "we teach BJJ"...but they say whatever they teach spawned...and I've never heard of any JJJ referred to as having "Judo" in it also......."Aiki-Judo-Jujutsu" sounds weird as hell...

"Best Martial Arts Styles are composed of...

1. HTM World Martial Arts (American Mixed Martial Arts)
    2. Hiep-Tinh-Mon Vietnam (Combination of many Vietnamese kung-fu styles with elbow and knee strikes (Muay Thai) from Thailand)
    3. Kickboxing (American, Muay Thai & Vietnamese Vo-Tu-Do styles of kickboxing)
    4. "Daito-Ryu" Aiki-Judo-Jujutsu (The root of Aikido, Judo, and Japanese Jujutsu, also including BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU)
    5. Internal Force (Vietnamese kung fu translated as: "Miraculous healing power of fresh air abdominal breathing techniques")
    6. Yoga & Feng Shui instruction
    7. Kenjutsu/Kendo (Including all traditional Japanese, Okinawan, and Chinese weapons)"
    Last edited by DaChinkOfSteel; 1/10/2007 2:02pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn Chink, I was hoping the place was local so I could go check it out seeing as the Viet area of Orlando is right near your Gracie Bara.

Here is the brief description of the Viet MA they teach. Apparently he made it up by mashing together various kung-fu animal animal styles with guerrilla fighting tactics used by US Special Forces during the Vietnam War and a dash of judo.

Hiep-Tinh-Mon Vietnam, founded by Grandmaster Quoc Dung in 1957, is a traditional Vietnamese martial art combined with fighting techniques from Airborne, Ranger, and Green Beret guerilla warfare during the Vietnam War. Students learn combative techniques from five animals, including White Tiger, King Cobra, Sacred Eagle, Black Dragon, and White Crane.

Hiep-Tinh-Mon Vietnam also offers internal and external force, including breathing exercises for longevity, curing illnesses, and general health and well-being. Some breathing techniques are similar to Chinese Tai chi, Yoga, etc. The Frog Style breathing techniques develop students' lung expansion and improves the cardiovascular system as well as internal organs.

Students also learn to fight with elbows and knees from Vietnamese kickboxing, which are similar to Muay Thai techniques. The 72 Fighting Elbows can be applied with deadly force to attackers' pressure points. Hiep-Tinh-Mon Vietnam also includes throwing and grappling techniques.

from - http://www.bestmartialartsstyles.com/htmvietnam.html

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 2:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very odd indeed. While on the one hand GM Dung describes his MA as a "traditional Viet MA" he seems to come clean about it being a mish-mash art on another section.

HTM World Martial Arts, founded by Grandmaster Quoc Dung in 1970, is considered an American style because--like America--it is international, a composite of many different cultures. HTM World Martial Arts is a combination of the best strategical fighting techniques from China, Vietnam, Japan, Korea, and Thailand. The HTM World Martial Arts Octagon illustrates that this martial art combines the best techniques and philosophies of eight martial arts--Kung Fu, Karate, Tae-Kwon-Do, Kickboxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, and Western Boxing--as well as many other art forms, in order for practitioners to become a well-rounded martial artist.

From - http://www.bestmartialartsstyles.com...rtialarts.html

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 2:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1957? Damn, i was hoping for something at least 500 years old.

Really though, I bet it's effective. Little vietnamese guy running at you screaming broken english, pummelling you mercilessly with his elbows....you're going down!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 2:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Green, do you have any Viet in you? My fiance is Vietnamese, and we actually talked a little bit in my Vietnamese class about viet vo dao and vovinam, which are often referred to as the same thing. We didn't actually see any videos or speak much about the style itself, but evidently there is a video online of a guy giving an interview in Viet Nam about vovinam (which is just a shortened way to say "martial art Viet Nam"), but my Vietnamese isn't near good enough to understand the interview yet. If anyone here speaks it I can see if my professor will send me the link so I can post it here.

Dave

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 2:23pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Llama_XY might be able to....not sure. Mrs. Praxx can't because she was raised by tall white big-nosed German-American Catholics.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 3:05pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 100% viet...I can understand, but can't speak...I'll translate if you got it...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast