Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this isn't a great place to discuss tournament type topics, but I was curious about what people think of open forms or (gymnastics with kicks) in the tournaments. Coming from a traditional background I am not a very pro-open forms person, however I do admit those who do them are very athletic and talented in their styles.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  2. Michael

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to lose my composer on this one so I appologize ahead of time.

**** open forms, what the hell is the matter with this ****. We're supposed to be doing fucking martial arts not some goddam gymnastics and screaming routine. Fucking 720 kicks and backflip kicks, mixing capoeira move into TKD forms. I was judging an open weapon form for god sake and the guy dropped his fucking staff (looks like a baton twirling contest), and two of the Judges gave him perfect 10's.

Okay got that one of my chest....cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 4:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow Micheal. Take a valium man. Audiences dig that sheeyat ... jumping, kicking and screaming and all. Makes little kids wanna be a power ranger. Show 'em a crazy kata and the little bass tirds will knocking on your school door. Then you can teach something worth while.
  4. Michael

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Michael is coming off an ACL, MCL, PCL ligiment tear in his leg after demonstrating a 540 kick to those little bass tirds. (grumble grumble) Now I can't even roll in the grappling class and I'm fat now.........

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 4:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, really, Michael, don't be so modest...tell us how you really feel. ha.haha.ha...

I would like to agree with Ksmythe that kids do like it and it does send some business. Once inside the school you can teach them the good stuff. However, the sad part is that you rarely see the schools that teach these type of forms, teach practical self defense. I liken them to that of the TKD tournament schools.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 4:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not go all out and pay for the helmets and power ranger suits and tell the kids someday they will get to shoot monsters in the ass .. if you are going to get all crazy, I say get ALL CRAZY. hhehehe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude.... you made me shoot hot coffee through my nose!!

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL

Well MOST of the crap in forms is just about realistic as the 720's man. Theres one side of me that says if your going to practice forms you might as well have fun doing it. Then the other side is that if your going to practice forms you might as well practice SOME techniques that are usefull even if there are much better ways to practice them.

I know a few Karate schools that hire students to dress up as power rangers and teach kids birthday parties. Its hilarious and sad all at the same time.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2002 9:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    open forms?? i wouldn't waste time on learning anything that i can't use it in life...
    flying kicks at 8 feet?? 360 turning flying kicks around 7feet??
    we r martial artist not some movie stunt mans...
    -Bhudhieevi-

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/10/2002 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess my question to the schools that practice open forms is do they teach traditional froms and emphasize them. Or are they taught as one more requirement for the next rank and then discarded later?

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!