Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:40pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    wtf is a back splash?
    I'm guessing they mean that you can't simply try to crush a guy if he has your back while standing. Kinda like the prohibition against slamming a guy who has you in guard or a triangle . . . speaking of which, why are high-amplitude throws encouraged but guard slamming is illlegal?

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 5:11pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ricardo Arona probably agrees with you on that. Quentin Jackson, not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovFomUvbxzI

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 7:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    I competed under these rules about 3 months ago, and will again this February, under the ISWA organization (whose president is now a member of the board of FILA, Jason Townsend). They're ok rules. The biggest problem I ran into is judges who called a "catch" too early. And yes I AM bitter for being robbed. More specifically, I wish they would do away with the entire "catch" idea, that's what tapping is for. We'll see where it goes.

As far as women in this competition. At the last one, I think only a couple of girls competed, and one did rather well.
    That guy (or an e-monkey) posts on Sherdog's grappling forums as ISWA2006. I don't like the ruleset, and whoever it is that posts under that name is (big surprise) a fucking moron.

God I hate that guy.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    That guy (or an e-monkey) posts on Sherdog's grappling forums as ISWA2006. I don't like the ruleset, and whoever it is that posts under that name is (big surprise) a fucking moron.

God I hate that guy.
    I'm just happy to have somewhere in Maryland to compete.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 10:44pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    Who doesn't want women to compete?
    I see any of the Arab guys attached to anything, it freaks me out. They're behind the movement -- and there have been examples in the states of this, so don't anyone give me that "it's only the ADCC" crap -- to prevent women from doing BJJ competatively.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I see any of the Arab guys attached to anything, it freaks me out. They're behind the movement -- and there have been examples in the states of this, so don't anyone give me that "it's only the ADCC" crap -- to prevent women from doing BJJ competatively.
    !اكافر اثم

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 3:07am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    By "any of the Arab guys" do you mean this arab guy in particular or arabs in general. My interpretation of your post is fuzzy so please clarify or point me to some other reading. Is there a movement against women in the ADCC?

(Sheik Tahnoon Bin Zayed Al Nayan is the founder of ADCC.)
    (I would write his name shorter but I don't know which parts are the most important for identification.)

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait, so, catch is different than traditional ref stoppage?

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 7:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A catch is a near submission. Unfortunately, that's really subjective. I prefer the advantage system. Also, the ISWA (assuming things haven't changed in the last year) has retarded rules about stalling on the ground.

For grappling, I prefer to see refs stay out of the match as much as possible. All this awarding near catches, deciding how many points a throw is worth, interpreting what stalling is, etc. leaves a lot of room for personal bias. The ref that referees least referees best, and all that.

I'd compete under them if I had no other ruleset to compete under, but if I have a choice, I'd rather not.

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 7:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they want submission fighting to enter the olympics, they either need a system where the ref can call a "catch" or a very, very high level of professionalism with regards to tapping from submissions. I do not think the olympic people would look kindly upon the Gracie-ballsyness where you don't tap, period, no matter if your arm has been broken off at shoulder and jammed up your ass. Anything submission fighting or MMA related is already considered brutish. A series of submission injuries won't help the image of the sport.

Interesting to know that them Abu Dhabi fellas have a rule against women competing. Makes sense though, seeing as they're Arabs.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast