Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to piggyback on Anna's notion. I think the explanation you would be more likely to find is that "I left X martial art to train with B instructor. He is superior, yada yada yada"

I might, if i try hard enough, be able to imagine training in some other fighting technique based on the instructor even if the majority of skills of the practioners in that art were spurious. For example, if my old Krav Maga instructor returned to teaching I would probably tran with him. There are hard workouts and real sparring....or should I say 'were'
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 3:58pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my early days I did TKD with your typical Olympic sparring, so some contact. I then started to cross train Kung fu with a guy who was a pro Boxer and pro kickboxer. We sparred a lot, full contact even if you got thrown or knocked to the ground that did not stop the action. It was basically SanDa, but since what my Kung Fu instructor had been taught was not really Kung Fu (made up BS) we didn't even know what SanDa was, we just called it kickboxing.

Anyways we sparred so often that after about 9 months I started to develop a stutter when I talked. Eventually his school closed and I moved on to another school that also did full contact.

Many years later, after chronic knee problems, I broke down and went to see a doctor. I was basically told that my knees are shot, little to no cartilage left, and where my knee joint should be rounded it is starting to file down more into a point shape. The doctor told me I should cut out all forms of exercise that are not non-impact. No MA, no running, no tennis, etc.

I still go to Cardio conditioning 3 times a week , Muay Thai twice a week, BJJ once a week, and Baji twice a month. I now take Tri Flex joint supplements daily, and have recently began taking ibuprofen before workouts so I can get through them without too much pain. I participate in some light contact still and timing drills, and spar in BJJ.

I will not switch over to a non contact MA, until I am left with no choice. I personally have never heard of anyone switching to a non contact MA because they thought it was better, it has always been becuase they had no other options.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could see doing Copiera for the girls one day.

INDEED I COULD!!!

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:52pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gojoe-ryu has a point. Although i cant help but think you look like your avatar.( dont know why)

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    Gojoe-ryu has a point. Although i cant help but think you look like your avatar.( dont know why)
    Same to you!!!

:)

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    polishillusion,
    why do you hate the whales?
    They love you, you do know that, don't you?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 5:50pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained Iaido regularily parallel to my Jiu-Jitsu training, and still occasionally go through the Iaido forms on my own.

Non-contact, meditative.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 6:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    What is his reason for training?
    He wants to improve his fitness... and always enjoyed MA...

Is it the belief that one can avoid all risk and injury in training, because it will somehow set the foundation for success in the rare case of a real fight?
    No, he's starting off with something light and minimal contact (yeah, this GKR club spars, gently!), with a view to perhaps picking shotokan back up if his foot/eyes etc hold up to the strain.

My sister (also ex-shotokan... very good, strong school) also trains at the GKR place. She likes it. It's easy; relaxed.
    I told her about the GKR reputation, and she also saw the "no-contact" style as a positive. She can give the instructors ****. She goes with her 8 year old son, who, honestly, is a little limp. He likes it.
    Last edited by sochin101; 1/11/2007 11:11am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 7:05pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in Bjj/MMA and kickboxing/savate .From time to time I like to try new stuff just for the sake of it and also I think that if you know how to fight you can learn a few new tricks here and there. Now I've been doing WC for about six months and some of their stuff is useful and some is crap . I've also done kendo and that was tons of fun(I'll probably go back to it). I did aikijujitsu for a couple of years and I incorporated some of it to my Bjj. In the future I'd like to try Seni silat and Petiki tirsia.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I went from Boxing to Brazilian Jiujitsu for a time.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast