233413 Bullies, 3742 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I suck Rudy Abel's Dick, I love the taste.

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 7:51pm

Style: Traditional TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Indian Club Training Questions

Has anyone ever gotten into Indian Club training? I did a little reading about it, and it seems interesting. It used to be quite common training, but there are differing thoughts about why it largely disappeared. Did the arrival of readily available and sophisticated weight lifting equipment spell their doom?

What benefits, if any, did you see in working with the clubs? Increased upper body flexibility? Strength?

What weight clubs did you use? Is heavier better? Is it best to start light and work up to heavy? Or are light clubs enough? Or does it depend on if you want to achieve strength or flexibility?

What exercises did you do with the clubs, and where did you find them?

The clubs seem to be largely marketed at martial artists these days as opposed to those generally interested in fitness. Is there a special benefit for martial artists, or are we just a well-known cash-cow for fitness fads?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by emboesso; 1/08/2007 7:57pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 9:18am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try a search on "clubbell"

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

some threads to start out with.... I've been more interested in kettlebells personally, but I'll wait until I find them locally, unless I bought the kettle bell handle for use with plates...

Posted On:
    1/12/2007 2:42am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get hung up on the tool. It's what you do with it that counts.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2007 12:53am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spoken like a man with a small penis.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2007 6:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems to me that Indian clubs might be useful for grappling and stick fighting. Grip strength is a good thing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been using some 20# clubbells for the past couple of years. Initially they were the heaviest twenty pounds I ever picked up, now they are light and serve as active recovery tools. They are a great training tool. They are fabulous for developing flexibility and strength in the shoulder girdle. They have helped rehab my shoulder and are a tremendous grip and forearm developer. They are however expensive and for my money I would rather have an olympic barbell set, a kettlebell, or a pair of adjustable dumbells if money is an issue.

The clubs were originally used prior to barbells and dumbbells as military training in India. Some used clubs in excess of 200#s! There is a good book about indian club training I will check the author and get back to ya and all of Scott Sonnens stuff is really good if you are looking for instructionals.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 10:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    definetly worth the money. A cheap alternative is to buy hollow plastic toy bats and fill them with sand then duct tape the hell out of em. A bit crude but under $10 and you have a pair of clubbells. The smaller bats last forever but the big fat albert bats get to heavy for the plastic to handle.