Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 10:50am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    12-20 is still too many in the context of avoiding bulking -- at least in the context of the rectus abdominus. Generally speaking, using high intensity for other muscle groups as a guideline and going for weighted exercises is a better way to go. However, as I mentioned all of this might be contraindicated, depending on the nature of the scoliosis.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    dont be alarmed, its just baofuhibo trying to be a hardass to fit in. i dont know how that particular fuckin loser got his ban lifted but it marks a sad day for bullshido.
    I disagree. Because if it weren't for his thread, we'd never have been treated to this gem:

Bao: I'm going to do hyper inverted time explosive transverse woodchops!
    Girl: Ok.
    Bao: Yeah! Hey. Save your $100 pay checks so we can buy a house, ok?
    Girl: Ok. Let me spread my legs first.
    Bao: Yeah! Hot damn, I wish you were real!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...4&postcount=19

Which might have been the funniest thing I've ever read on BS.

PL, I belatedly salute you!

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liposuction ftw!

Otherwise, what everybody else said about spot reduction being a myth, fat loss being about diet and general exercise load, and not putting your injured lower back thruogh hundreds of reps.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 12:46pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jackson
    Your an idiot. First of all, Search function NOOB!
    you're illiterate... and apparently a geek as well, love how you just HAD to emphasize "noob". if you're so cool, go outside and get a life, rather than getting pissed off about what someone you have never met writes on an internet forum. don't you have anything better to do, Mr. Deadly Martial Artist?

so, continuing, thanks for the info guys. have some reading to do now. the Walmart equipment is basically out of the question, as my country has no Walmarts, heh. on another note, that exercise posted with the animated .gif, is it similar in effect to the exercise you do while lying on your back, lifting your legs, and having a buddy push them back down?

sorry for not knowing excercise names and whatnot, while i have a fair grasp on english, workout-lingo isn't something that's brought up much.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 1:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    It has been a few years since my personal training course, but I was under the impression that higher weight lower reps yielded more bulk and muscle mass. Lower weight with higher reps produced more density. Let me know if that "science" has changed.
    Yes and no.

Many of the bodybuilders held up as examples of putting on bulk through medium intensity workouts are already juicing, so they can't really be considered representative but . . . they tell us one thing: Frequency of training is very important for size gains (i.e. more is better). High-intensity training makes recovery a lot more difficult and lowers the potential for frequency.

Yes. High intensity is important for putting on mass -- particularly through exercises like squats -- but it seems that sarcoplasmic hyptertrophy (best achieved through medium intensity) has a lot more to do with overall size than myofibrillar hypertrophy (best achieved through high intensity), which -- along with improved neurological efficiency -- has a lot more to do with strength. You will get bigger if you get stronger, but itís not necessarily the most efficient way. That being said, it is the least wanky way.

No. The real issue is how your own body responds to exercise. Anyone who is working out should be paying attention to the kind of results they get. And if crunches by the thousands are making their mid-lines thicken, then it's clear that this is either a function of intensity or frequency.

Spoiler:
    Most of the time itís frequency.

Conclusion: For people trying to thin out their mid-sections, high frequency work is generally a no-go. I personally recommend using high weight for rectus abdominus work because a) that muscle group is predominantly fast-twitch and b) I like it when people get real, real strong. If that doesnít work, though (and a personís diet is already in-check, then I guess being a weak-ass ************ with an hourglass figure will have to do).

Also, check it:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1305014

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    It has been a few years since my personal training course, but I was under the impression that higher weight lower reps yielded more bulk and muscle mass. Lower weight with higher reps produced more density. Let me know if that "science" has changed.
    Not an expert, but the stuff I read suggests that bulking (i.e. hypertrophy) is usually in the 6-12 reps range, and people who want strength without emphasising hypertrophy train in the 3-5 rep range.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 2:09pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anyone confirm Culion's info?

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 3:27pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, why are people still posting on this thread?

Second of all, did you guys catch when he called me a deadly martial artist? LOL! I can't fight my way out of a wet paper bag!

And finally, abs are made in the kitchen. Get your diet down(look to the wild for inspiration. It is what is proven that counts. A bear, a walrus, and a sumo wrestler all eat once a day, while the cheetah eats 6-9 times a day. Whatever diet you try, spread out your meals). Try Tabata style HIIT AFTER you heal, and make a sandbag. Then go to these websites and come back with a routine geared towards your goal: Weight loss.

www.rosstraining.com

www.bodyweightculture.com

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    Can anyone confirm Culion's info?
    Sure, why not?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 4:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Flash Jackson,

I am a novice exerciser with a spinal deformity. Please give me a program using the most inaccessible exercises possible. Toning is my primary goal with injury being a close second.

Thanks in advance,

El Macaco Repulsivo
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast