• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 8:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'd like to mix Muay Thai and Judo...Shin Kick, punch to the jaw and slam on them on their face.

My original idea was mixing WC and Judo, but finding a WC school that doesn't pussyfoot around seems nearly impossible, so there goes that idea.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 10:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd take the MT/BJJ MMA combo as-is, but I would like a few classes on taking it to the ground!

Basically... bust out some wrestling drills and some judo stuff, but not restrict rules to what you can do. And work on if you do get put down, getting a guard or reversing and getting on top ASAP.

I'm sure good schools do that, but one I went to overlooked it big time. They did train the HELL out of sprawls though. Every day when we conditioned, we'd shoot out those sprawls.

But stold, yeah, MT and Judo would work very well, granted you didn't get put on your ass (unless your judo school taught good groundwork, then you're set)

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh hell yeah, if they disallowed groundwork completely in class I probably wouldn't even attend the school. Rules in place for safety are one thing, but rules that just teach bad habits for judo-sport use I can't stand(haha pun.)

Or I'd just work on groundwork outside of class...

WC really had me interested with the whole Wcats.com site, but I can't learn to fight by just knowing the Siu Lim Tao form. Guess I'm gonna go with MT, which is a more sure substitute anyways. I at least KNOW I'm going to be able to knock people out in MT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 4:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "But wouldn't it be cool to go straight from the clinch, to something like osotogari, straight into side mount?"

Don't know what an osotogari is, but greco-roman wrestling has arm, hip, and shoulder throws that can take you straight into a ground control position. The difference is that they are no-gi, and this is why wrestling is preferable for NHB. But Judo of course still teaches similar throwing principles, and you can adapt it to no-gi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 7:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osotogari means that you move forward, pull your opponent downward and backward, so that all his weight rests on one leg and then you sweep that leg from underneath him.

BOOM !!

Thank you, next question please :)

Simps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I perfer the combo I am taking: Muay Thai and BJJ. Both great stand up and excellent ground work.
    Judo is great for take downs, I will not argue with that.

-------------------------
    "Dark Days, Bright Nights" -Aeon Flux

"Give me the strength to live, to smile and to love"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12