Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 11:26pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have one of Hatmaker's books and it's fairly decent stuff in my opinion, but yes the borderline xenophobia is a little odd.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 11:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if money is an issue, look up a non profit martial arts place, there are a ton of them on idealist.org..... i think, unless they took them off. these places are usually run by people who make **** living by doing it but love it to death.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 11:57am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have most of Hatmakers books and although they pale in comparison to Peligro's multitude of books in terms of "production value"...for the price/technique you get, they're not all that bad...

That's not to say they're good substitutes for good qualified teaching...but if you're an experienced grappler, they're a good source of "Hmm...that's kinda cooll, maybe I'll try that next time I roll" techniques...a lot of his techniques, however...are very questionable because the BJJ'er in me looks at it and goes "Meh...he's giving up position for that"

Some of his recommendations are a bit contrary to what I've learned in BJJ (like setups, positioning, and transitioning)...but eh, if it works for him great...that's the beauty of live-training......everybody's different and can be completely successful using similar, but different techniques...

That said, yeah...the xenophobia is very apparent in his books...kinda like Ken Shamrock's...he won't use BJJ terms, but then again, that could just be that he really does come from a catch-wrestling base and that's just what he knows stuff as...but he's also pragmatic enough to recognize certain aspects of BJJ and assimilate them into his books...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 10:40pm

Style: Western Boxing mostly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Books and DVDís are great. I have a decent library of books and DVDís and am gaining more all the time. However nothing can compensate for real live training. You can read and watch all the books and DVDís in the world and you will never have more than a basic understanding of how it all really works. Even training with your buddies in the garage utilizing these moves and techniques is sub par to the real thing. Sure youíll know how to perform half ass subs and attain positions but youíll be lacking the mechanics and details that will get you owned by people who really know their ****. Your best bet is to find a place and train with people who know what theyíre doing and supplement that with your books and DVDís. Even if you can only afford to go someplace for a private once or twice a month it will make a huge difference. For the fee it costs over the long run to join an online correspondence class including dues, conferences, testing etc. you are better off with going somewhere for real. Many instructors will charge by the hour. Get a group of your buddies together to split the cost. Becoming some apprentice or assistant teacher via internet and video holds little water in the real world.

BTW - Where do you live? Maybe we can help you locate a place to go.

Also, keep in mind there are a lot of free places as well. USA Wrestling has places all over the states and costs $30 per year. College campuses have MA clubs that are typically free.
    Hmmm... understood

I live in Arlingotn VA.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12