Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting......

http://www.dss.mil/training/espionage/Marines.htm

if Anzalone was sentenced to 15 years in prison in 1991 then he would have been released in 2006. I wonder where he learned BJJ?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    gotcha. So did he get any rank from Presas or is it just that he attained a certain level and then self-promoted within his org?
    Hartman was promoted to 6th dan by Presas in 2000. After Presas death, he (Hartman) formed the World Modern Arnis Alliance and appointed a WMAA Advisory Board comprised of his students. The Board promoted Hartman to 7th and 9th dan, making room at the top for their own promotions by Hartman. One hand washes the other, so to speak.
    Last edited by 3Kings; 1/07/2007 7:08pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:52pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape
    Jerry Phelps http://www.aikidobuff.com/aboutdojo.html

So basically a guy holding sandan in a hybrid "aiki" based art feels he has the breadth of knowledge to start his own martial arts style ? Ok..

This same guy, undertakes a distance learning programme in BJJ and becomes so bad-ass that he takes on all challengers and never looses a fight ? LOL Ok...

I trained in Nihon Goshin Aikido for three years (1994-96). In fact I remember when Jerry Phelps moved away to open his school in Buffalo. His claims of being undefeated are difficult to believe.

“The challenges came from wrestlers, judo practitioners and jiu-jitsu practitioners from other styles of jiu-jitsu, none were successful, Phelps - Sensei never lost a match.”

As I recall he wasn’t very big, has to be pushing forty by now, and never exactly struck me as being a bad ass fighter either so I’m calling bullshit on his allegedly undefeated record in challenge matches.

In Jerry’s defense however I can understand why he decided to break away from NGA and teach his own thing. By reading his website it looks to me that he wanted to address the piss poor NGA striking and also the non existent groundwork/grappling in an attempt to make it more practical. Unfortunately if you have an NGA school and attempt to make any changes to the official NGA syllabus you will probably get thrown out. The official NGA party line is that NGA is the ultimate in self defense and no changes are necessary.

Phelps isn’t the first NGA black belt school owner that I’ve heard of who had a falling out with the higher ups in the organization and who subsequently decided to break away. Walter Kopitov was another NGA black belt who didn’t see eye to eye with the NGA headquarters and who also left the organization. I think that he ultimately called his place Nihon Goshin Aiki-JuJutsu. Unfortunately once you have a falling out with the organization you won’t be able to continue to call your place “Nihon Goshin Aikido” without the threat of getting sued so that helps to explain why these guys decided to form their own system. I don’t think that they decided one day “I’m a martial arts master and innovator and I’m going to make up my own system”. I think that their decision was based more on politics than anything else.

All that being said however whether you call it Nihon Goshin Aikido, Nihon Goshinjutsu Aikido, Nihon Goshin Aiki-JuJutsu etc. at the end of the day it’s all just another name for Bullshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 7:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hartman's bogus promotions

Hartman's promotion to 7th dan 1/31/03
    www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5937&highlight=hartman

He apparently skipped 8th dan.

Hartman's promotion to 9th dan 6/05/05
    www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24780&highlight=hartman

"The promotion not only recognizes Datu Hartman's technical skill and his leadership role in Modern Arnis; it also places him at the apex of the rank chain in the WMAA, as befits the Technical Director and President of the organization. This will allow him to promote other WMAA members, such as those currently holding the rank of 5th degree black belt, to appropriate ranks within the WMAA in the future."

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 7:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is from Phelps's website:

Jerry R. Phelps - Sensei is an accomplished martial artist in several styles of Budo, including ISSHIN RYU KARATE, BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU and NIHON GOSHIN AIKIDO.
    Mr. Phelps has been dedicated to the study of Budo (Warrior's ways ) for well over 20 years. He has devoted his life to training and teaching. Because of this his students consistently meet the highest standards of the martial arts world.
    Notice that he claims to be accomplished in BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU. As far as I know Phelps verbally claims to be a champion BJJ brown belt also . Phelps apparently made this outrageous claim after he got done watching Rickson Gracie BJJ instructional DVD's. Phelps is so pompous and arrogant that he wears multicolor aikido belts to grappling tournaments where he loses to BJJ white belts.
    Last edited by injacolat1on; 1/07/2007 7:17pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 7:23pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by injacolat1on
    Notice that he claims to be accomplished in BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU. As far as I know Phelps verbally claims to be a champion BJJ brown belt also . Phelps apparently made this outrageous claim after he got done watching Rickson Gracie BJJ instructional DVD's. Phelps is so pompous and arrogant that he wears multicolor aikido belts to grappling tournaments where he loses to BJJ white belts.

I remember Phelps being kind of cocky and having a bit of small man complex going on. I figured that since that was 12 years ago that maybe the guy may have grown and matured as a person in that time. Since he’s claiming to be a BJJ brown belt (and undefeated in challenge matches too) then “pompous and arrogant” may be a good way of describing him.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 7:28pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting thread.

There is a thread on MartialTalk concerning Anzalone, you need to be signed in though to see it. He and several aliases were banned from therefor among other things sock puppetry, and we're still weeding out the occasional fake account.

This thread is interesting though in who it names...it's very similar to another thread started by Chuck on a WNY forum. Threads since been tossed and the board wiped because it was an embarrassment.

The 4 individuals named all happen to be successful school owners in WNY.
    McPeek had 2 locations last I heard, Phelps I'm afraid I don't know at all.
    I've seen Gutowski on the mat, and he's not shabby IMO.
    Hartman is the highest tested Modern Arnis blackbelt in the US. He's also the highest tested Modern Arnis BB in WNY, and runs the only successful full time FMA school in town. He gets heat for the 9th degree promotion, usually by people who haven't tested past 1st degree.

I find it interesting that mr 3kings there's first post here was to revive a several years dead thread on Primo Luchiano, who happens to be the MMA instructor at Tim's school. Then open a shot in another dead thread, the VTG one here, then this mess.

So, 3Kings, who are you, to be so judgmental of the WNY scene? Theres alot of crap schools out there, it's just interesting that you happen to pick these 4.

All 4 have been very outspoken against Mr. Anzalone due to his involvement in some "legal issues" that were previously mentioned.

Standard disclaimer: I'm the geek who owns martialtalk, student of Hartman, yada yada yada. Take what I said with a grain of salt, do your own research, make up your own mind. Close cover before striking, some settling may occur.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaith Rustaz
    So, 3Kings, who are you, to be so judgmental of the WNY scene? Theres alot of crap schools out there, it's just interesting that you happen to pick these 4.
    The purpose of the Bullshido forum is to expose frauds, McDojos, and BS in the martial arts community. If you know of other schools in WNY guilty of the same then feel free to include them in this thread or create your own.

I've been involved in the WNY martial arts scene for many years in one capacity or another. I have no knowledge of the Anzlone you mention but if he is a fraud then he can be included as well. So far he appears to be someone you would like to divert attention to and take the heat off your instructor.

I know you have been friends with Timmy for a long time and feel you owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for lining your pockets with business but even you can't contain the fallout of the facts that surround him. Perhaps at Martial Talk you can do damage control for him but this isn't MT Tubbard. The facts speak for themselves.... Hartman is a self promoted fraud and an average martial artist at best.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast