Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh... I swear me and Kat are gonna start making some threads worthy of strikeistan. The place is so barren.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 7:58pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed that's a TKD site, though I didn't read anything but the article posted. Is this thing just a big speech to TKD students to keep their noses out of other arts?

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:02pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    I noticed that's a TKD site, though I didn't read anything but the article posted. Is this thing just a big speech to TKD students to keep their noses out of other arts?
    you mean you read it and didn't see the "yar gib us your monies don't go doing teh dirty grapples!" everywhere?

...How long were you in that Kuk Sool fan waving thing?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Ugh... I swear me and Kat are gonna start making some threads worthy of strikeistan. The place is so barren.
    maybe if we had admins who actually posted once in a blue moon and/or stickied the technique posts people DO make it might not be so void of thought. i cant be fucked writing any more articles because they get a couple of "thanks" replies then fall into nothing, to be replaced by retardo **** that should be in gitmo.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:18pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    ...How long were you in that Kuk Sool fan waving thing?
    3 years. Busted my ass to get a black belt early (got mine in 2, usually takes 3-4), spent a **** load of money on bb fees and the flashy uniform. Then I got my ass kicked at a Throwdown. End of story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:21pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Psuedo Science Bullshit.

"Force meets force arts, such as karate, boxing, Taekwondo and other striking arts."

Boxing has way better defending/avoiding capabilities than most. Tae Kwon Do can have force? Fucking news too me.

"Grappling arts such as Judo, wrestling, etc."

That may be fair, in the sense that they are grappling arts, wtf is grappling though? I'd say anything that impairs free movement, grappling is needed and should be addressed regardless.

"Avoidance arts such as Aikido, some forms of Jujitsu, etc. "

Some forms of Ju Jutsu? Yeah the bs forms, Ju Jutus basic principle is to overwhelme a muscle group. Aikido does work, if you avoid fights altogether, maybe they have a point? Har har har.

"The three arts are mutually exclusive. For example, it is difficult to grapple and strike at the same time, difficult to avoid force and grapple at the same time, and it is difficult to strike and avoid force at the same time.
    A true martial artist is a person who studies one of these three ideas exclusively. When an art is studied in this way, the subconscious quickly learns how to respond to almost every conceivable attack. However, if we mix the arts, strange things happen. For example, if the subconscious has been taught to block with left hand and strike with the right when dealing with a right hand punch, the response will be instant. However, if we also have studied avoiding the punch, our subconscious becomes confused and throws the decision back to the conscious mind. The difference is that the subconscious makes a decision in 1/25 of a second, whereas the conscious mind makes a decision in of a second, approximately 18 times faster. For this reason, it is best to pick a martial art that best suits you and specialize in it without mixing it with other arts."

Grappling and Striking complement each other perfectly, that's the fucking point. Avoid force and grapple? The idea is to restrict movement and reduce the force taken whilst wrestling into a sub/superior striking vantage, this guy is on crack.

"When an art is studied in this way, the subconscious quickly learns how to respond to almost every conceivable attack"

What? NO. You cannot learn to respond to "every single attack" hence why complient do this/do that drills don't work. Fighting is muscle memory.

I really can't be bothered to continue right now.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was watching Karate Kid again today.... Daniel-san is a master because he can do rock- paper-scissors all AT THE SAME TIME.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:32pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the "three types of martial arts" theory really is funny, it's so bad. His example about being confused between blocking or avoiding a punch suggests that boxing must be crap, since people are taught to variously parry, block, or slip punches! Oh Em GEE look at the confusion on the face of a boxer when you throw a punch at him or her! Three whole options!

Also, even if his rationale is that you need to use only the reponses from your core art, how does he think a person trained only in TKD will react to, say, an armbar attempt from mount? Better not learn any GRAPPLING defenses, those'll just confuse you! Stick to the TKD armbar defense. And takedown defense.

It just boggles the mind, really. This is akin to saying "There are three types of hard science: Math, Physics, and Biology. Students who learn one of these learn to understand all situations through the lens of their discipline, but those who learn two or more subjects need to think carefully in order to pick the best model to understand a given situation; and this moment of hesitation, which definitely exists, will cost them their academic futures. Not to mention, mathematics are dangerous around cliffs."

P.S: Letum, calling this Pseudo-Science is an insult to crystal healers and energy empaths everywhere.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 8:40pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by polishillusion
    i was watching Karate Kid again today.... Daniel-san is a master because he can do rock- paper-scissors all AT THE SAME TIME.
    Ralph Machios stance in the karate kid makes him look like hes wound up on speed.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 11:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the OP has a good hypothesis. We should test it by bringing together martial artists of each style and having them fight in some sort of enclosure with no time limits and minimal rules. To see what the best style is.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast