Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 4:49am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't posted in a while...so what the hell, eh?

Listen to those before me. There isn't a shovel big enough to move that load. They are definitely not mutually exclusive principles.

Watch a boxing match and you'll be able to see better evasiveness than most, if not all Aikidoka. Slipping, bobbing, weaving and footwork are all integral parts of boxing's defense as well as parrying, blocking, etc.

I think it's fair to say that most if not all high level practioners of grappling arts welcome force they can use against their opponenet. Judo has its notorious "kuzushi" meaning unbalancing techniques, which are often used to get an opponent to push back at you so you can use their force and help them along to the ground rather than using strength alone.

Watch any Muay Thai or MMA match and witness grappling standing (clinch) fighting with strikes. MMA matches also allow for ground and pound as well as striking from many different guard varients and sometimes inferior posistions. Some fighters (Bas Rutten comes to mind) are/were devastating strikers from their backs. Although not all elements of boxing defense can be seen in Muay Thai and MMA, many elements are still retained. Because MMA includes grappling, many skilled MMA fighters use previously mentioned grappling tactics associated with an "Aikido mentality".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 5:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to quote, striking force cannot be mixed with avoidance?

Mirko CroCop

End Thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:58am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn different arts, use what u feel u should use at that moment. Forcing your mind to "limit" yourself to moves is a bad idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 9:27am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my first impression on reading the material you posted was that the author had a downer on grappling, but didnt seem to know a lot about it based on the spurious and contrived reasons they they were presenting as reasons not to grapple (a cliff?!); whoever wrote this is trying to present a cogent argument as to why their standup art has no groundwork and is better than grappling

then i looked up at the top and saw it was taken from a tkd site, so i guess my suspicions are well founded.

was this a site you were directed to in response to any questions you asked about grappling, or did you just come across it yourself? have you asked your instructors why there is no groundfighting in shotokan?

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:06pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhand9
    I should begin with the quote that inspired this thread, found at http://tkdtutor.com/13Sparring/Other...therArts01.htm:

All I'm wondering, fundamentally, is whether this is true? Does this make the idea of learning multiple arts to the level of mastery a void idea?

I do shotokan karate, and am beginning to achieve some proficiency in it, but I worry that my techniques are too limited and was considering finding another art (probably but not necessarily a grappling or avoidance art as described above) to complement my fighting style. However, having read this I am apprehensive and wonder if I will do more harm than good. Please let me know what you think.

And yeah I looked around and I had no idea where to put the thread, so I put it here. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your help!

-Shadowhand9
    just do judo. judo translates well to arts such as jap karate.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nothing says "judo wins again" like a good cliff.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:48pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido Shadowhand9, enjoy your stay.

And yeah I looked around and I had no idea where to put the thread, so I put it here. Sorry about that.
    Actually since this was your first posting here, there's this place called Newbietown to begin with.
    That's where new people usually start off their presence by stating something about their MA experiences, training methods and views.
    You might want to do something similar too.

As for the multiple martial arts, listen to/debate with people who do that.

Tonuzaba

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:01pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That article is a PILE designed to keep you from poking your head into other schools.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:23pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    So if I step off line with my clockwork, catch a kick and kick their legs out, this is hard?
    this could clearly never happen. those three actions are mutually exclusive!

... nevermind the recurring appearance of that exact sequence in muay thai and mma.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 7:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do shotokan karate, and am beginning to achieve some proficiency in it, but I worry that my techniques are too limited
    They are, sadly. I speak from experience.
    Learn something with footwork for a start; boxing might translate nicely, particularly if you enjoy stand-up.
    If you want to cross-train and get some ground experience, I hear judo's the way to go.

With regards to the text you posted from the guy who knew jack **** about anything: the guy who wrote it knows jack **** about anything.
    Except cliffs. Sheer rock-faces are apparently the anti-grapple.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast