Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:29am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

12 ounce or 16 ounce boxing gloves?

I'm going to take advantage of KO fightgear's January blowout sale and replace some of my crappier MA equipment. That means new headgear and shin protectors (and wraps for fun), and also a second pair of sparring gloves. Right now I have my Christmas-gift pair of 14 oz. Everlast sparring gloves, which are actually pretty nice, but I'd like a second pair to facilitate sparring with my friends who don't always have their own gloves. The only problem is that KO fightgear only carries gloves in 12 oz and 16 oz sizes, and I don't know which is optimal for my situation.

I really like the weight/size/padding of the 14 oz. gloves, but if I have to get another pair, I can't decide if I want the greater "realism" of 12 oz. gloves or the thicker padding of the 16 oz. I weigh 180 lbs or so, and I don't hit THAT hard, so will 12 oz. be enough to allow me to go near full-power in spars without risking too much injury to an opponent with headgear, or should I bite the bullet and get 16 ouncers? The cost is identical either way.

The thing is that I don't like to train with gloves that are too bulky because they create bad habits regarding attack and defense when you switch to MMA gloves or bareknuckle. Therefore I'm leaning 12 ounce. Thanks to anyone bored enough to offer advice.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search you NEWB..... errrrrr .... oh yes right ....

ummm ... go with the twelves .

I mean I hate boxing gloves for a number of reason and have just a little expirence with them . Anything higher than a 12 and I am completely confused , my technique feels shitty and my game falls apart .

* off topic *

I read what I posted and am now wondering if I should I fix that and work with heavier BG's more often ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:38am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get 10 ounce for yourself and let your friends use your 14 ounce when you spar. Teach them a lesson for not getting their own gear.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    Get 10 ounce for yourself and let your friends use your 14 ounce when you spar. Teach them a lesson for not getting their own gear.
    You saw right through my plan...

Actually I've sparred full-contact using crappy point-sparring gloves that are maybe 1 or 2 ounce against someone who weighs 30 pounds less wearing 10 oz. ...

Hmm, that story sounds less humorous and more shameful than I expected.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 12:54am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I sparred using brass knuckles against someone with no arms.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Well I sparred using brass knuckles against someone with no arms.
    VID PLEASE
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:17am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    12 ounce gloves are fight gloves.

16 ouncers are sparring gloves.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    12 ounce gloves are fight gloves.

16 ouncers are sparring gloves.
    So, since I plan to mostly spar, would you reccommend 16?
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:21am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got 16's to spar and train with.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:22am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I would, especially since most gyms wont let you spar with anything less then 14 ounce and many insist on 16 ounce. It's also not really a big deal. 16 ounces is not really noticeably differant from 14 ounces. Personally even though I could probably get away with sparring with 14 ouncers I prefer the 16 ouncers simply because it's just that much bigger a differance when I slip on the 12 ouncers for a fight.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast