Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 9:54pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Core Louisville has a class like that. It's just called "bag class" and it's taught by their Muay Thai coach.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Spear Sister

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Recruiting Master

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 10:01pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Jesus
    ctually Ive been thinking about a real cardio kickboxing class recently, a cardio class that focuses on bagwork and drills instead of air punching. I think there could be a real market for that.

If thats what they mean more power to them.

Several gyms already do that.

Actual Photo

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    - unlike an Taebo style class where you have to put on sexy tight things and dance your ass in front of the gentlemen andladiessssss .

Sexytime now!
    God I hated that part of your class ... you're the one who drove me to Hapkido to start with .

* runs off crying *
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 10:29pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see any problem at all whatsoever with this cardio MMA class as presented, or with the concept in general. In fact, part of the reason I was able to kickbox better than other beginners when I started serious training was my cardio kickboxing classes taught by actual competitive kickboxers. Who cares where you learned to wrap your hands, throw a jab, or shuffle? It's all the same moves.

Likewise, if you learn how to uppah, sprawl, etc., from a fitness MMA class, that could allow some people who want to further develop interest to have some sort of base to go upon.

Actual Photo

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 10:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    Likewise, if you learn how to uppah, sprawl, etc., from a fitness MMA class, that could allow some people who want to further develop interest to have some sort of base to go upon.
    yeah I thought the same thing .

but then I thought ... wait ... that is basicly what the Hapkido program was ...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 10:33pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Judah Maccabee
    for sure! but to be fitness MMA, it would have to include stuff like uppahs and sprawling.

otherwise it verges on bullshido, since it should just be cardio-something-else.

"now everyone jump on their grappling dummies! punch to face from mount! side control, knee to head! knee on belly, punch to face!"

... sounds kinda fun actually.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/08/2007 12:05pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    I used to teach a bag class and it was a lot of fun. Just a bunch of heavy old bags and something for them to hit.
    The equipment or the students?

Graviora Manent

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 6:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I will problably wait till tuesday and show up myself for the class .
    Did you manage to speak with him yet? I'm very interested to find out whether this is an earnest attempt to introduce people to MMA while getting them fit and removing the possibility of injury, or whether it's just the latest thing to attach to a fitness course.

on a vaguely related note... I work with a guy who's a fencing instructor. He renamed his club (used to be the whatever fencing club, now it's the School of Defence) and now he doesn't teach normal fencing... he now teaches FULL-CONTACT fencing... his club now has a waiting list and he's essentially still teaching the same stuff.

Actual Photo

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 7:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Did you manage to speak with him yet? I'm very interested to find out whether this is an earnest attempt to introduce people to MMA while getting them fit and removing the possibility of injury, or whether it's just the latest thing to attach to a fitness course.

on a vaguely related note... I work with a guy who's a fencing instructor. He renamed his club (used to be the whatever fencing club, now it's the School of Defence) and now he doesn't teach normal fencing... he now teaches FULL-CONTACT fencing... his club now has a waiting list and he's essentially still teaching the same stuff.
    I completely : flaked , pussied out , forgot , blew off the tuesday class .

To put things in context .

The Instructor
    • I forgot what dan ... think third or fourth in TKD .
    • is a white belt in BJJ ( as far as I know I haven't talked to him face to face in a few months he could have magicaly grown a blue or purple or something )
    • did some full contact karate and TKD circuts
    • has a pretty decent stand up
    • has some judo background
    • certified to teach Hapkido
    • very athletic
    • will throw hands outside of the McDojang as long as the students have a back up teacher in case he is injured .

As far as a TKD or Hapkido Instructor goes ... thats a good resume .

Cardio Boxing ( now TURBO KICKS ! ) :

He never called it kickboxing , never showed them pad drills ( well they used pads but he wasn't using them to show proper fighting technique ) , didn't have anyone doing MT conditioning . Never claimed it showed you how to kick ass . I didn't have a problem with it , still don't even under it's new stupid name .

Lets look at that add again now .

What I am asking is it ok to teach "training techniques" of an art you are not qualified to teach ? Even under the heading of "Fitness Programs"

As a TKD place who's only compition in town is a BJJ , JKD gym who actually trains people for MMA ... I just fail to see how this is way to build interest in the sport .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Graviora Manent

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 4:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    What I am asking is it ok to teach "training techniques" of an art you are not qualified to teach ? Even under the heading of "Fitness Programs"
    Personally, I'd ask him whether he's teaching MMA (as it is widely regarded) for fitness, or a mixture of martial arts for fitness... there's an obvious difference there that we can spot, but the average Joe/Jane might think they're training in legit MMA.

I can see the advantage of adding some stuff to cardio kickboxing; scrambling drills from grappling arts would certainly improve fitness, along with flexibility and conditioning drills.
    I can't see how any technical aspect of BJJ or judo (I'd count breakfalls as conditioning) that would translate as fitness, so his level of proficiency/qualification in those arts might not actually cause him any concern.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast