Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 10:09pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wushu has it's place. It's not for fighting, obviously, but it looks spectacular in the movies. It's even more interpretive dance than regular kung fu, but alot of guys do it as stunt men or to supplement their break dancing skills, see some posts by an older poster here "kung fu does work" for more info.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 10:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little out of the loop aren't you.

Try a search on KFDW.

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 10:33pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was a joke right? (awkward silence)
    KFDW doesnt do wushu....

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 10:50pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one of the pictures made that song 'stop! in the naaame of loooove' pop in my head.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:00am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Yeah so does TKD.

Anyway, did you email the guy?

Wushu is supposed to be gymnastic form interpretation. I liken it to the the Ribbon and ball dancers of the olympics.

It sucks hard.
    No I haven't e-mailed the guy...so far. As for the olympics thing, this was posted on the website "The sport is officially recognized by the International Olympic Committee and is set to become an Olympic event in the 2008 Olympics.". The school claims to teach "martial arts", but they never go so far as to suggest that wushu is a good form of self-defense, or good for women to use for rape prevention ( ala gracie jiu jitsu). The number of women in the pictures of the school seems to imply that women like it, but for rape prevention, I'm not convinced...yet. I want to know what the basic training routines consist of, what wushu is good for, and all the other stuff I can't find on the website--- I just don't want to come across as someone who knows his art is crap. What should I ask this guy in my e-mail?
    Last edited by Eldarbong; 1/07/2007 2:09am at .

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 6:38am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    No I haven't e-mailed the guy...so far. As for the olympics thing, this was posted on the website "The sport is officially recognized by the International Olympic Committee and is set to become an Olympic event in the 2008 Olympics.". The school claims to teach "martial arts", but they never go so far as to suggest that wushu is a good form of self-defense, or good for women to use for rape prevention ( ala gracie jiu jitsu). The number of women in the pictures of the school seems to imply that women like it, but for rape prevention, I'm not convinced...yet. I want to know what the basic training routines consist of, what wushu is good for, and all the other stuff I can't find on the website--- I just don't want to come across as someone who knows his art is crap. What should I ask this guy in my e-mail?
    Dude, do you write to Ballet schools telling them it's not for self-defence ?
    Modern wushu is a performance art based on a mix of martial arts and acrobatics.
    It's not a systemised way of teaching somebody how to fight, nor is it meant to be.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 11:32am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    No I haven't e-mailed the guy...so far. As for the olympics thing, this was posted on the website "The sport is officially recognized by the International Olympic Committee and is set to become an Olympic event in the 2008 Olympics."
    Now, I'm going to play semantics. It is "set" to become an olympic sport is actually true. If the exhibition goes well in the 2008 Olympics, it is "set to become blah blah blah......So technically the person isn't wrong. It is worded very carefully, this isn't something new when trying to sell to the public.

The school claims to teach "martial arts", but they never go so far as to suggest that wushu is a good form of self-defense, or good for women to use for rape prevention ( ala gracie jiu jitsu). The number of women in the pictures of the school seems to imply that women like it, but for rape prevention, I'm not convinced...yet.
    Now, this is a giant leap of logic.
    First off the term "Martial Art" has been so bastardized you can't even use the self defense argument.

Women in pictures=rape prevention/self defense? I'm sorry you are being stupid. This isn't a logical conclusion at all.

Shocking, they actually sell the school with pictures of women, OMG.

I want to know what the basic training routines consist of, what wushu is good for, and all the other stuff I can't find on the website--- I just don't want to come across as someone who knows his art is crap. What should I ask this guy in my e-mail?
    You don't know if his art is crap. If it isn't a self defense art it is basically dance.

He said it is a sport and describes it as such.

Wushu is a national sport in the People's Republic of China. It is a Mandarin term meaning 'martial arts'. Wushu is a combination of traditional Chinese martial arts and acrobatics, developed to increase the flexibility, stamina and physical ability of all practitioners. The sport of Wushu is made up of two categories, namely the taolu (routine) and the sanshou (free fight) categories. Focus is given to speed, power, expression, balance and difficulty when practicing the routines in Wushu. Functional routines can be performed by individuals, in pairs or in groups; barehanded or armed with traditional Chinese weaponry. There is no particular style of "kung fu" in Wushu as commonly mistaken. Wushu encompasses all the traditional Chinese martial arts styles, by revising the movements and adding levels of difficulty to them. The sport is officially recognized by the International Olympic Committee and is set to become an Olympic event in the 2008 Olympics.
    Wow and I found this right on the website. It is titled "What is Wushu?"

This is actually a pretty good definition.

The only problem I have is the combat class once a week.

Now, if the combat class is based on self defense techniques from modern wushu, it is a bullshido school. If he says it is performance based (2-man forms/kata weapons forms/kata) combat class I have no problems.

I'm wondering if you are mad because the guy left your MT gym.

This might shock you but, not everyone enjoys getting hit.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Now, if the combat class is based on self defense techniques from modern wushu, it is a bullshido school. If he says it is performance based (2-man forms/kata weapons forms/kata) combat class I have no problems.
    You note that he includes 'San Shou' as part of modern Wu Shu. Perhaps he's teaching San Shou in the combat class ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 1:40pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, I'm going to play semantics. It is "set" to become an olympic sport is actually true. If the exhibition goes well in the 2008 Olympics, it is "set to become blah blah blah......So technically the person isn't wrong. It is worded very carefully, this isn't something new when trying to sell to the public.

Now, this is a giant leap of logic.
    First off the term "Martial Art" has been so bastardized you can't even use the self defense argument.

Women in pictures=rape prevention/self defense? I'm sorry you are being stupid. This isn't a logical conclusion at all.

Shocking, they actually sell the school with pictures of women, OMG.

You don't know if his art is crap. If it isn't a self defense art it is basically dance.

He said it is a sport and describes it as such.

Wow and I found this right on the website. It is titled "What is Wushu?"

This is actually a pretty good definition.

I'm wondering if you are mad because the guy left your MT gym.

This might shock you but, not everyone enjoys getting hit.
    I am not mad because the guy has left the MT gym. I am actually happy I don't see him around. And this was only a couple months ago, probably after the pics were taken. I just thought found it kind of validating to know that he trains garbage like Wushu. (by the way, I was joking about using wushu for rape prevention)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 2:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First chick has a sword. She would kill you in a fight.

Other pictures show people holding low stances and doing full splits. Can someone tell me why that is considered useless for muscle and flexibility training?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast