Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 8:54pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    learn to strike proficiently with your right lead. Lots of right handed people do it and it seems to work ok for them.
    Good point. I'm right-handed and work the right lead more. I like it because my power hand is closer. I also think its perfectly fine with changing up your lead. I guess it depends on whatever you're comfortable with as long as you can make it work.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 10:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk
    Nothing if its a kung fu punch! but it hurts if its by a boxer!:toothy5:
    Like I said, what's wrong with being punched in the face?

(boxers are dumb)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 10:37pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a southpaw who fights with the left forward. It works fine for me but I will change to a right lead or fight with both hands together (like peek a boo). I think its good to change it up, keep them guessing.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 11:14pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    learn to strike proficiently with your right lead. Lots of right handed people do it and it seems to work ok for them.
    I find it easier than a left lead, personally. My cross is crap, but my jab and lead hook are SO much better. Of course, in MMA and boxing, the cross is an important punch, but you can easily learn a right lead - it's fun, even.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 11:17pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I echo Kid's encouragement to develop a right lead. In my circumstance, my flexibility is such that with a right lead, I have much more power and speed with my kicks. In general circumstances, you might get caught in the wrong lead and need to fight your way out. Or, the opponent you're fighting can't handle a southpaw.

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 11:24pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    I assume you're not talking about the impossibly strong and deadly _ing _un chain punch.
    I would never question the power fo the DEADLY!

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 11:28pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I got Scrooged
    Like I said, what's wrong with being punched in the face?

(boxers are dumb)
    now! now! no need for name calling!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally don't like switching up stances as my punches kinda suck from south paw and it seems like it'd be a real pain in the ass to bring my south paw punches up to be any where near as good as my orthodox, but having a left kick of doom is really handy.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 11:59pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, switching leads is handy both to confuse inflexible opponents and also if you like to throw big rear-leg kicks (you can drop your foot down instead of pulling it back, thereby effectively switching leads.)

When I do my boxing drills I just allow the pad holder to switch the pads (or whatever) whenever the urge grabs them so that I'm forced to work on both leads. When sparring I tend to swtich leads to the opposite of my opponent's, so that I can use lead-hand hooks to the body on them more easily. I also switch to a right lead if hooks and/or jabs are effective against them, while I swtich to a left lead if crosses and uppercuts are more useful .

Anyway, long story short, you can get some definite benefits out of working both leads - and while it will seem awkard at first, you'll start to improve quickly. On the other hand, who knows how much better I'd be if I only worked on, say, orthodox stance instead of both all the time... *shrug*.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 12:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel that, until you have a really strong base in one, it's best to just stick to that so you don't have two sort of so so leads. But then, maybe I'd feel differently if I spent more time on my right lead! ...except every coach I've ever been with would yell at me for that nonsense.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast