Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 4:54pm

Style: Beginners Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tim Larkin and TFT Ad

I recently came across a little write-up for Tim Larkin's Target Focus Training DVD's and workshops in the Men's Style website (the owners of GQ and Details).
    http://men.style.com/theupgrader/gea.../paranoia-gear
    It's the 7th item on the slideshow. Now, I remember the name from some of the forums around here, and I went back to browse through some of them, but I'm not quite clear what the final consensus on him was. If it did turn out to be bullshido, I'm wondering if someone would have the time/interest to write Men's Style and let them know about this. It he is a fraud, I would hate for him to be getting this free publicity and endorsements from such a site.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2009 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga Muai Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim Larkin's Target-Focus Training

Did you leave your Sap Hat back at the burned-out bridge you've been sleeping under again? Not to worry, provided you've undergone one of Tim Larkin's $900 two-day seminars. A former Navy SEAL instructor with decades of experience and a personal slogan Dick Cheney wishes he thought of ("Violence is rarely the answer, but when it is, it's the only answer!"), Larkin is pretty much the Anthony Robbins of making sure menacing creeps get the beat downs they deserve. And while his weekend seminars won't help you succeed beyond your wildest dreams, they will show you something even more valuable: the basic principles of breaking other people's joints with your bare hands.
    23-DVD, three-manual set, $799; weekend workshops in cities around the country, $897; targetfocustraining.com

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 12:18am

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have the Tim Larkin Target Focus DVD (bootleg).... it was a gift I swear. It sucks. I have yet to watch the whole thing. The whole break the sternum and every thing else in one punch idea is stupid. You're better off taking MA instruction from mortal kombat videos.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burningman View Post
    Tim Larkin's Target-Focus Training

Did you leave your Sap Hat back at the burned-out bridge you've been sleeping under again? Not to worry, provided you've undergone one of Tim Larkin's $900 two-day seminars. A former Navy SEAL instructor with decades of experience and a personal slogan Dick Cheney wishes he thought of ("Violence is rarely the answer, but when it is, it's the only answer!"), Larkin is pretty much the Anthony Robbins of making sure menacing creeps get the beat downs they deserve. And while his weekend seminars won't help you succeed beyond your wildest dreams, they will show you something even more valuable: the basic principles of breaking other people's joints with your bare hands.
    23-DVD, three-manual set, $799; weekend workshops in cities around the country, $897; targetfocustraining.com
    WOW

For $900 you get two days of BASIC principles.

Welcome to Bullshido Tim.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 3:35pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    WOW

For $900 you get two days of BASIC principles.

Welcome to Bullshido Tim.
    The price for a two day seminar is now 2000$ (assuming you make 1 payment. It's 2350 if you do a payment plan.

http://www.targetfocustraining.com/live-training/

I was flipping channels yesterday and stumbled upon this:

http://katiecouric.com/features/comm...-staying-safe/

It was truly, truly a terrible display. The rationalization of the extremely exaggerated responses by the "attacker" as training you to recognize when you've successfully injured someone is beyond ridiculous. The whole bit about being injured by infants was ridiculous as well. I wonder if, when struck in the nose by a baby, Tim dropped the infant and recoiled grabbing his nose with both hands... My guess would be no, seeing as how people don't actually all react identically to being punched/kicked.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim Larkin's material seeks to train the answer to this question: how do I continue damaging my attacker after he's been struck hard enough to take him out of the fight? One might quickly note that the question fails on a few levels:

1. If you can get your opponent into a comical I've-been-kicked-in-the-groin position, YOU'VE ALREADY DONE THE HARD PART. Once their "spinal reflexes" are kicking in, you can follow up in any way you want. It doesn't have to flow like a kung fu san soo technique and doesn't have to follow up with every striking surface your body has to offer. If you follow up your stunning strike with 5 right hands to the face, mission accomplished.

2. If your opponent has been taken out of the fight, you are no longer defending yourself when you continue on your target focus assault. In my book, a guy grabbing his eyes or throat or nads in pain should be run away from, assuming we're talking about self defense and not commando fantasies.

Its weird how they end each technique by turning around and walking away too. It may look Jason Bourne-ish, but if you're gonna have a formal get-away after beating up your opponent, it should involve keeping a defensive position and keeping an eye on the guy so he doesn't get up and start fighting you again. When I did kempo we did "covers" after each technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2014 7:51pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the guy wasn't charging 2 grand for a two day seminar I would think he was delusional. Now I think he's at best deluding other people. One of the comments on the link to the show I posted is a woman saying finally a self defense system I can learn in 2 days, and then complaining about how her previous krav maga training would have taken her years to master.

What a shame that in this day and age, people think like this.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/12/2014 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TFT's method of throwing dramatic haymaker strikes to cause your opponent to fold over in pain reminds me a lot of pro wrestling.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2014 7:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I commented. Hilarity should ensue as the nutnuzzlers arrive.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2014 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    I commented. Hilarity should ensue as the nutnuzzlers arrive.
    Oh, I hope it does...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast