Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know, i bought some clamps from the hardware store for less than a buck a peice. they have super strong springs in them and provide a decent grip workout.

Like this, but the springs look like they are the same guage as your new toys :p

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Incidentally I'm going to Home Depot tonight, so I'm going to take a look at those puppies. If they offer the same resistance as my CoC, then my new toys are not going to look so shiny :(
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Incidentally I'm going to Home Depot tonight, so I'm going to take a look at those puppies. If they offer the same resistance as my CoC, then my new toys are not going to look so shiny :(
    Hey guy. Give your new squeezies to the chick in your avatar and see how many butt squeezers she can do with them. On second thought, I'll count, you can watch.:tongue9:

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    2/09/2007 10:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm using my clamps right now. After about 30 or 40 squeezes with my lower 2 fingers i can barely type. It's hunt and peck right now. ugh.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/10/2007 9:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman140
    Hey guy. Give your new squeezies to the chick in your avatar and see how many butt squeezers she can do with them. On second thought, I'll count, you can watch.:tongue9:
    He, I think she can easely win a CoC certificate. That butt is a weapon of mass destruction :evil6:

Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I'm using my clamps right now. After about 30 or 40 squeezes with my lower 2 fingers i can barely type. It's hunt and peck right now. ugh.
    Yeah, that's how it feels with the IMTUG. However, after experimenting with it, I find it that if you use the fingertips only at the very end of its handles, then it becomes a bitch... a serious mean, bitch.

Anyways, I just came from HD. The large clamps are a bitch to close as well, but the CoC is more ergonomic, me think. Smaller clamps are better for abusing the fingers, though.

I bought an extra pair of 6" metal nipples (he, I said nipple) to convert another pair of dumbells I have, in addition to a few hose clamps, the smallest I could find.

These are my my findings on the hose clamps:

-- There are no clamps small enough (AFAIK) that can be used to increase the difficulty of an IMTUG, so though luck on that one :(

-- Three hose clamps can increase the difficulty of a ghay everlast gripper - I would say, by 30% to 50% (wild, out-of-my-ass estimate.)

I don't have a flat-head screw driver with a handle long enough to tighten the hose clamps more than I've had already, but I'll look for one tomorrow. In the meantime, I've masculinized the ghay everlast gripper enough to be of decent use (as warmup sets before starting with the CoC, or for drop sets AFTER a CoC set.)

I may be wrong, but with $3 worth of hose clamps, one can make a trainer-like gripper for someone who's just starting (yeah, I know, I'm a cheap bastard.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/16/2007 1:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm necromancing this thread after 6 days of death just to let you know of this other, relevant thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51432

I've been playing with my 10lbs home-made clubs (sand-filled plastic bats) for a few days, and it's a real bitch for the forearms. I was using those clubs strictly for levering exercises (instead of using a sledgehammer), but never for club swinging.

Club swinging feels like it's the **** for forearms, at least for support grip strenght. Something to think about and experiment with.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 12:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    I'm necromancing this thread after 6 days of death just to let you know of this other, relevant thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51432

I've been playing with my 10lbs home-made clubs (sand-filled plastic bats) for a few days, and it's a real bitch for the forearms. I was using those clubs strictly for levering exercises (instead of using a sledgehammer), but never for club swinging.

Club swinging feels like it's the **** for forearms, at least for support grip strenght. Something to think about and experiment with.
    I hear ya. But after achieving that kind of iron grip, I'd be afraid to take a piss.:icon_eek: Or anything else for that matter.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 11:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman140
    I hear ya. But after achieving that kind of iron grip, I'd be afraid to take a piss.:icon_eek: Or anything else for that matter.
    My wee wee is capable of withstanding crushing pressure :viking:

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 11:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Monster 2" Thick Plate Loading Club/Gada Thingie

btw... there is a related discussion here... http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...4&postcount=24

On another note, I'm really falling in love with the 2" handles. The level of difficulty they add to even the simplest weights is unbelievable.... which brings me to my next home-gym project...

The Monster 2" Thick Plate Loading Club/Gada Thingie (larger pic here.)

The items at the bottom are the stuff I'm gonna use to build my new toy. On the top, those are my 30lbs and 60lbs dumbbells converted to the 2" thick handles, and my sand-filled ghetto bells.

Components:

- 2" x 2ft PCV pipe
    - PCV cement
    - concrete
    - 3/4" x 2ft threaded rod
    - 3/4" nuts and washers
    - 2" PCV end cap
    - 2" to1 1/2" PCV converter
    - 1 1/2" to 1" PCV converter

I'm going to fill that 2" x 2ft PCV pipe with concrete (with one end filled with lead tire weights), with the threaded rod in it (and secured in the concreted by washer and two nuts at the end being buried.) The other end will be for loading plates, which will be secured by a washer and a nut (unless I'm able to find a mega-ass 3/4 butterfly nut and a 2x2x1/4 inch square washer for 3/4 rod/bolt.)

I got the stuff yesterday, and just need time to sit down and do it. I know don't know if this **** will fly, but I want to to try it with a 2" handle. A 2" thick handle makes a world of a difference. See those 60lbs dumbells in the picture? After I converted their handles to 2", I cannot lift them above chest level in a clean/jerk (they were a piece of cake when they had the regular handle.)

2" thick handles add a unbelievable world of difficulty. For example, I'm doing squats with one of those being held at chest level. Something to do with the thick handle makes them a bitch to balance - my legs don't get tired with those squats, but my abs and lower back surely do.

As for my invention-in-the-making, maybe I'm going to drop that **** on the top of my head at the first swing...we'll see. I'll get a clip of it if it lands on my head or something.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/20/2007 12:03pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good to me. Here something your can do too as long as the moulding above your doorframes is good. Hang by your finger tips from the top moulding above your door frame. Believe it or not, the door has to be open first. :>).
    You can use your thumbs for balancing your grip by grabbing the underside of your door frame moulding if you need to. But it's another lowcost grip exercise. Usually the moulding only sticks out 1/2 " so there's little to hold you except your finger tips.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast