Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 10:17am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waiting for the video to load......

My coach teaches us to improve grip strength by doing finger pushups. We do them on jigsaw mats, not bare floors. Use 5 fingers first, and use the ball of the fingertips. We try to do the finger pushups till we cannot take anymore, then switch to knuckle, and finally palm. Typically we do about 5x30 pushups per training session, and it has really helped improve my grip.

Once your fingers get stronger, do it with only 4 fingers, without the thumb. I can't even do one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2007 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget the thumbs. Put a tennis ball or raquetball in your hand and press into it with your thumb and release. Great thumb workout. Also, rock climbing or gym rock walls burn the forearms. Don't like heights? Try bouldering, rock climbing w/o the height. Big rock with small finger holds. How about pinch gripping a floor joist in your basement and just hanging? Lots of cool ways to improve grip.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/25/2007 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    towel chin ups ;)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 12:57am

Style: TKD, uber BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meggaman7
    Ironmind.com has THE best hand grips available as well as a lot of other gripping equipment.
    Beefbuilders are considered just as good, if not better, by some. But, IM has all the certs and sutff..lots use BB to bridge the gap..now that IM has the x.5 grips..well see..I'm getting some more now :D I hope they didnt make the knurling smoother like I have heard :(

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 3:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was about to buy one of the ironmind grippers when I decided to re-utilize my old gripper. But instead of using all fingers, I use three variations:

1. Ring and little fingers and base of the thumb (don't use the thumb the thumb to close the gripper... see pic)

2. Index and middle fingers and base of the thumb (don't use the thumb to close the gripper... see pic.)

3. Using the thumb, index and middle fingers to close the gripper (see pic.) You can either try using all three fingers, or just the thumb in this manner.

I cannot close the gripper as in #1 without assistance from my other hand- I can only do negatives. It's a bitch to have girly hands like mine.

With #2 and #3, I can do about 10-15 reps. Once I can do double of that, and when I can do a few reps in #1 fashion without assistance, then I'll buy an ironmind gripper :viking:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man..I hope those arnt like the Everlasts I used...those things were a joke, most people when they see the IM, either people laugh cause they think its just another gripper, or they are really intrested..because its all metal and think its heavy duty. I know only 2 people that were able to close the #1 w/o training, one of my bros, and a friend of mine (he lifts).

Some people once they get high enough on the grippers, they can start doing what you're doing with the #1 even the #2...a guy in BJJ said he knew a guy that could close the #3, when he got a hold of his gi, he couldnt break the grip.
    Now that you can close it the 2nd and 3rd way, you're just gonna start building endurance, I know they're a bit pricey..but, they are really good..I'd even go for the heavy grips if its price..they quality isn't as good..but, for liek 60-80 US you get 6 grippers.

I did the same kinda thing (I found an old gripper my bro gave to me when I was little [man, I used to think it was amazing he could close it]) But, it doesn't even compare, if you do have the cash, and are wanting to get a better grip, I'd go for them...

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 10:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, those are the everlast ones :tongue3: The are a joke indeed; I can do who knows how many reps with those things using all the fingers.

I'm just a cheap bastard, mind you (and cash-strapped :tongue6:). The way I see is that I could get one of the IM trainers (or the IMTUG) before I purchase the #1... or I keep doing this for a while.

I've see major improvements in my index, middle and thumb fingers by doing this. The little and ring fingers are still a bitch, though. That's what makes me wonder whether to jump right away into an ironmind gripper...

... Goddamit dude, now you are making me think about buying one of them!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 11:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't get a trainer personally, I just got a #1 and a #2, I had a pretty shitty grip 2..but in like 3 weeks I could close the #1..I ordered a few more cause I can never get closer then 1mm on my #2..negatives helped me immensly. I wouldn't get the IMTUG unless you we really serious about tweaking very finely type thing..most people just use the grippers to do it (bit harder because of the spread).
    It's like training pushups to go for a world record bench (I guess if you compare to a #3 :P)

I would seriously save up for them, next training tool, if you are contemplating them :P. Worth it to me I tell you, I would have the grip of a feeble old lady I feel :p

poser

Posted On:
    1/30/2007 11:37pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good thread, good exercises.

Plus I play bass so this should help with that too.

Posted On:
    1/31/2007 12:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow my debit card found itself outside my wallet as I look at my ironmind shopping cart, with a #1 gripper in it. I blame it on Torec.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast