Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My arm got popped at a tourny any advice?

I was caught in an armbar this weekend at a tournament and it popped loudly, enough so that people watching heard. Its not swollen. Immediately I put ice on it for about 3 hours after and downed a max dose of Ibuprofen so I could continue to compete. Today its stiff as hell and I've got a brace and some icyhot on it. I was just wondering since its not swollen if I should go to a doctor or am I good? Also I was wondering if anyone with a similar experience has any long time issues? This is my dominate arm and would love not to have surgery or long time issues.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 12:58am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Universal rule of thumb:

If in doubt, see a doctor.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 1:23am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to a doctor. We are not qualified to give you medical advice and that sounds super bad.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 1:24am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You grapple long enough you get your arm popped. Your dillema is how bad was it popped.

A DOCTOR CAN TELL YOU THAT!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyle, you have balls I grant you that, but man, that was retarded (to keep competing after you popped your elbow loud enough for everyone to hear.)

That your elbow is not swollen may be do the icying and ibuprofen, but there could still be damage. The fact that your arm is stiff should be reason enough to go see a doc. Now, this is the thing, when you go see him, complain that it hurts like a mofo, tell him that you do wrestling (you tell him that you do bjj he may have no clue what you are talking about) and explain to him how you injured your elbow. Make it clear to him that it hurts and that you cannot move it so that he orders an X-ray (otherwise, he may just give you a bunch of NSAIDS and ask you to come back in a week - better to get the X rays done right there.)

If there is injury, the longer you wait, the worst it will get. I got my left elbow hyperxtended in class once, not popped, just hyperextended. That **** took months to heal and for weeks I couldn't even do a dumbbell curl.

That kind of **** is fixable and you can work around it, but don't be a tard and go see a doctor.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good news everyone Xray was clear no torn ligaments or cracked bones! Unfortunately some ligaments were mild to severely sprained, but do to being 19 and the miracle of ice I'm gonna be ok. Teh El Macho I know it was stupid to keep competing but it was our tournament that our BJJ club was hosting as well as being the vice president of the club and one of the better guys I felt I needed to step up. I did go on to sweep the gi division all (ironically) by armbar, place second in my weight in no gi, and place third in no gi open. But thanks for the help guys.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:31pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
    Good news everyone Xray was clear no torn ligaments or cracked bones! Unfortunately some ligaments were mild to severely sprained, but do to being 19 and the miracle of ice I'm gonna be ok. Teh El Macho I know it was stupid to keep competing but it was our tournament that our BJJ club was hosting as well as being the vice president of the club and one of the better guys I felt I needed to step up. I did go on to sweep the gi division all (ironically) by armbar, place second in my weight in no gi, and place third in no gi open. But thanks for the help guys.
    They have topical Ibuprofen cream you can get so you don't have to worry about taking too much (though you're not going to die either way)

Might want to try that.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sweet may go get some.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 1:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    They have topical Ibuprofen cream you can get so you don't have to worry about taking too much (though you're not going to die either way)

Might want to try that.
    While it may not kill ya, it can still do liver damage if you take too much. (orally, I mean)
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 2:21pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money
    While it may not kill ya, it can still do liver damage if you take too much. (orally, I mean)
    If you take too much it can also, and I speak from personal experience here, cause an ulcer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast