Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 7:30pm

Style: Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your First Major Injury

Ok, well I experienced my first major training related injury...dislocated shoulder.

So I had my first real workout of the year today. Me, a couple of other guys, and my girlfriend. I'm working on some Judo with my girlfriend, she goes first with Uchi-komi for Morote Seoi-nage. Then it's my turn, I go for Uchi-mata. Since her Ukemi is not so great, I try to let her down easy. Doing my best not to drill her in the mat, I lose my balance and fall directly onto my right shoulder. I feel a sickening pop and cracking noise and my shoulder shifts. I squirm a couple seconds later and it pops back in place.

My shoulder isn't too bad right now. I iced it heavily and my Dad, who's a doctor, told me it sounds like it's not terribly serious since I have almost full range of motion without pain. But, he told me I should sit out a month of training to make sure it heals correctly. Well, there goes January.

What's your story?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 8:04pm

Style: Wrestling, Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sophomore year in high school I was wrestling for third place in some tournament. Part way into the first period, my opponent shot in for a single leg, I countered with a wizzer and felt a pop in my chest. I told the ref to stop the match. A trip to the emergency room mis-diagnosed it as a strained trapezius and perscribed some muscle relaxents which I took maybe once. I saw an orthapedist the next day who told me that I had cracked a growth plate in my clavicle. I had to wear a sling for a few days and I was out of competition for five or six weeks. To this day the place where one of my collarbones connects to my sternum is lower than the other.

The funny thing is I cracked the growthplate on the opposite side of the leg that was shot on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 9:04am

Style: Tapping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4
    But, he told me I should sit out a month of training to make sure it heals correctly. Well, there goes January.
    Dang, a whole month :question: That so sucks. Well, you can still learn a bit from watching, at the risk of temptation though. :icon_wink Happy healing :exclaim:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 9:36am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pinched radial nerve from crappling. Very hard to pin down what was wrong, and very painful. Took 2 months and some steroids to finally heal.

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 10:31am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In high school wrestling I pinched a nerve in my neck and the left side of my face was paralized for a couple of weeks. Missed about 6 weeks of the seaon. I had to sleep with an eye patch because my eye wouldn't close the whole way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 12:11pm

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never recieved any really major injuries from anything, training or otherwise -- though I have had my hip x-rayed three times after an auto accident because the doctors thought I almost certainly had a cracked or fractured bone in there due to the bruising from the seatbelt... I guess I've just been lucky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 12:28pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Break in my right scaphoid. Me being an idiot I kept training. It took months to heal, now its stronger than ever!

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my knee is almost fully recovered from an embarrassingly bad heelhook (ie, nub grabbed my foot and twisted) this summer. tapped as soon as i realized that's what he was doing... i hope to be able to finish triangles again in maybe two or three more months.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 12:54pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the misc broken fingers, knuckles it's a tie between the torn metacarpal ligament in my hand ( I guess that's what they call that ligament) from some weapons sparring and the dislocated rib I got when I got all dyslexic on a breakfall.

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 1:00pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Torn MCL, kneecap dislocation fucking around with some friends that did TKD back in college. It really sucks when your kneecap is sitting on the side of your leg and won't go back into place.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast