Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NFL Football STYLE FTW!!!!

Ok the title was just to catch eyes ( and eyes of flamers ;P).

A while ago, I asked my younger brother if I could spar with him and try out some new things. He reluctantly agreed and intentionally didn't put up a fight.

Eventually he told me "You know what, I think you should take up football for a better self defense". Of course I was petrified and felt stupid at just the comment.

The idiot is currently in his sophmore year of high school and is in the school's football team. He ended up telling me that "Football teaches you how to stay on your feet, and even stop grapplers/charging guys".

When I thought about it, it came to my mind that, football training does in fact teach someone how to charge and push through heavy people, aswell as trying to withstand being tackled and pushed back. So maybe there was a point.

I attempted some lame tackles on him and it was pretty pointless getting through him. And eventually I had to try some harder ones to get him down, though he was pretty hard to push down since he mostly tried directing my force downward (kinda like a sprawl).

Eventually I had remembered I had that video of some NFL football player being beaten by a BJJer, I guess it changed his mind..

But is it possible that perhaps football training can perhaps help you take a person down, and avoid takedowns? And I mean, its quite a physical "alive" training thing.

Hm....

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Dmasterman... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    Wing Chun, Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh my god please stop making pointless threads...

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    oh my god please stop making pointless threads...

Z0mfG b3 mY fR13ndz!!! azl???

=D

Why don't you just answer me =(?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i... can only say that i think this will probably be moved to ymas, and that if you put your school's football team up against your school's wrestling team, i'm pretty sure i know who would win.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i... can only say that i think this will probably be moved to ymas, and that if you put your school's football team up against your school's wrestling team, i'm pretty sure i know who would win.
    Don't worry, its not like I'll assume Football will make you an ultimate fighter. But perhaps it can have some sort of training effect....Think about it... If you trained with some football to know how to properly take someone down quickly, aswell as defense against it and dabble that with BJJ, you'd be quite unique huh?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not... really.

well, actually, if you DID get decent takedown skills and defense out of football practice, you'd be somewhat unique.

Style
    Wing Chun, Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    football= not good for wrestling

wrestling= not good for playing football

capiche?

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually disagree with ya Axelton,

It depends on your position, I was a defensive end and linebacker and wrestled in the offseason and that helped me tremendously.

Offensive lineman and defensive lineman have to learn leverage and how to get low, and get under people. Wrestling and sprawls have helped a lot for that, not to mention learning how to shuck arms and swim around guys, and duck unders.

I used a lot of wrestling type movements as a Defensive end, and a little bit as a linebacker.

They actually do go well, however that is just a small portion of what goes on in football. As a reciever, QB, Running back, or Secondary player those kind of things aren't really helpful.

But on the line, it is a lot like Sumo, where you need to know about leverage and position.

While I don't think of it as a valid fighting technique, being a football offensive/defensive lineman you do have an understanding of leverage, and you have to practice it with aliveness and intensity against multiple opponents throughout a season.

So I disagree about wrestling not helping out football, it in fact helped me quite a bit.

I can say that football didn't help out my wrestling (aside from conditioning and weight training)

Just my humble opinion.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Andre Tippett - Linebacker - 1982-1993 New England Patriots--finalist for the 2007 Hall of Fame--NFL Hall of Fame, not the "World SOKE Council of Family Molesting Assrapers."

He IS t3h d34dly!!!

--J.D.
    Why yes, I still have sand in my vagina! It is because I am a lying cowardly child who got buttfucked by MEANIE Doctor X! I also do not know the Latin and it makes me cry!!--Phrost

Page 1 of 2 12 Last