Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 5:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonyork
    Trouble is if the peron has only ever done 1 art, how can they know how to fight properly? Take Judo for instance, fantastic good fun, brilliant sport, self defence ? utter crap. The principles are good and certain moves or techniques are good, however if judo is all you have done how do you know how to defend yourself properly? you dont just as if you only did karate. however doing both would give you a much much better idea about fighting as it combine the ideas about stiking along with grappling making a much more complete art in my opinion. Any CONSTRUCTIVE critisism would be welcomed.
    There are some flaws in this statement. How is slamming someone onto the ground and following up with joint locks or chokes crap? Furthermore it's a mistake think a judoka is incapable of punching. It is true that unless you do a striking art you will use "instinctual" strikes but does that mean you don't have to worry about the other guy's strikes unless he does karate? An absurd proposition.

Furthermore karate is a bad example of an effective striking art. With the exception kyokushin and its related split offs, karate tends to consist of entirely dead patterns and kata, plus a whole bunch of silly and un-retainable material such as circular blocks and chambered punches. Even if you find a karate club that spars, you're still better off with a kickboxing or muay thai club that doesn't still believe that 30 minutes of kata before sparring is a constructive use of time.

I do however agree that judo + boxing/kb/muay thai or some t3h r34l monkey kung fu is better for self defence than just judo.
    Last edited by Virus; 1/06/2007 5:50pm at .

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 5:55pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take Judo for instance, fantastic good fun, brilliant sport, self defence ? utter crap. The principles are good and certain moves or techniques are good, however if judo is all you have done how do you know how to defend yourself properly? you dont just as if you only did karate. however doing both would give you a much much better idea about fighting as it combine the ideas about stiking along with grappling making a much more complete art in my opinion. Any CONSTRUCTIVE critisism would be welcomed.
    Stay away from strip mall karate as an example of a properly balanced training regime.

If you look Self-defence up in the dictionary there is a picture of a judoka performing a makikomi throw onto concrete.

Judo with boxing would come up with some nice SD combinations, but why not just train Jiu-Jitsu to start with?

"Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any CONSTRUCTIVE critisism would be welcomed.
    Lurk more, post less? You might also familiarize yourself with the search function.

Welcome to Bullshido!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12