Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 7:56pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of this guy. He is supposed to know his stuff. At the Inosanto Academy you'll have a chance to look at a whole load of things. I have to agree with Deus though, it would be nice to let your current instructor know what you're doing.

Official WTDude Badass Evil Genius

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met Caique once at a JJ Machado tourney. Seemed like a decent guy. A little stern, but all the older Brazilians strike me that way. His son has to be the skinniest grappler I've ever seen, though. Someone needs to take that kid down to the In-and-Out Burger pronto! Just kidding, I haven't heard anything negative about Caique, so that's good as far as that goes.

I agree with the experienced guys on this thread. Talk to your instructor and explain what is on your mind. If he is a decent guy, he'll treat you like an adult and respect whatever decision you make, even if it means you train somewhere else to pick up a needed skill (my grappling school does that with a local kickboxing gym). If he's not an adult about it, he'll try and make you feel guilty for deserting your 'teammates' or whatever he calls the school. He may even try use some crude reverse-psychology on you (ie. "You want to leave? Fine, get the hell out of here!") Sadly, I've heard plenty of stories from guys that had that happen to them.

Here's the bottom line. The way you keep people loyal to a school or any other organization is treating people like grown-ups and giving them the freedom to make their own choices. 99% of the time, they will appreciate this to the extent of staying even though they could leave with a clear conscience at any time. Unfortunately, a lot of MA instructors try to keep everyone at the school with a variety of shady tactics and wind up losing large chunks of their experienced guys and gals. Loyalty is good, but it's a two-way street. Just because you pay a guy money and train at his place doesn't mean you owe him anything other than honesty and common courtesy. Which is why I prefer the term 'coach' to 'master' or 'sensei' when addressing a martial arts instructor.

Martial arts is cool stuff, but if my grappling ever came into conflict with my profession (Air Force officer) or marriage, guess what? Grappling will lose. In other words, don't build this issue up into something it isn't. You had a life before martial arts and you'll have one after. It's a skill, just like shooting a gun or flying a helicopter. If you can, you go where the best training is for the particular skill you want to improve. The good martial arts instructors know that. The fucked up ones with esteem problems don't.

Edited by - Vargas on August 03 2003 22:22:46
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

***ned

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 9:09pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can, you go where the best training is for the particular skill you want to improve. The good martial arts instructors know that. The fucked up ones with esteem problems don't.
    Very well said Vargas. A good instructor will care about your fighting ability, and a great instructor will care about what's best for you in any situation. Even if it means leaving the school.

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12