Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2003 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train muay thai and BJJ. Due to time constraints I have to cut one of these out. I was thinking about taking shootwrestling under Yorinaga Nakamura at the Inosanto Academy. Do you all think this is a good idea? What do you guys think of this art? What does it have to offer that BJJ doesn't? Since I train striking and grappling separately I dont have much of a feel of combining the two at the same time. Thanks for any info.

Mike

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2003 9:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tough call. go with the better instructor.

---------
    I have discovered the true essence of Bullshido: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
    In short: to flame.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2003 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah it's a tough one. Also I have to deal with the BJJ politics of being a "creonte" if I leave tat school.

***ned

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 2:25am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask for the BJJ instructor's blessing to leave the school. Explain the situation. That's the least you can do.

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 2:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should stay with your current instructor.

It's like Aesop's fable of the dog with the bone seeing his reflection in the water. He thinks the reflection bone is bigger, so he opens his mouth to get the other bone, dropping the real one into the water and losing both.

Loyalty goes far in this world. Although you may make a bigger personal gain by going to another school, what about the instructor that has spent his time trying to help you? Why would you slap him in the face like that and go to a competitor of his? Does he deserve your betrayal? Are you unhappy with your training?

If you aren't unhappy with your training, stay where you are. You probably won't reap much bigger benefits from the other school anyway (if you get more at all). It's not going to change your life and make you a much better fighter whatever you do, so you might as well stay with the instructor who has gone out of his way to help you, and help him out a bit now.

You'll be glad in the long run, and when your instructor knows that you respect and trust him enough to stick with him even though there are flashier places elsewhere, he'll go out of his way to give you all he can.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 3:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the training is not what you want and you are not happy with it, then you should find another place.

I always have a hard time doing this because of my loyalty to my instructors, but I beleive, as Thorton puts it, "Loyalty is often the sentimental failure to face facts"

It's your money and you need to decide what is best for you. This means you need to decide where you want to go and how you will get there. If it is obvious that your current training will not do it, then you should go somewhere else.

At the sametime, take a trial lesson at the other place first, before you leave. It may not be what you need either.

If you instructor is a person of character, he/she will understand that you need to find your own way, and you will leave with their blessing.

I won't even start on the sentimental stuff that Goojeansleans wrote. Then again, this is just my opinion.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 3:48am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AsianMarine,

Which BJJ school do you go to in LA?

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 10:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if AsianMarine is in fact a Marine, then "sentimental loyalty" may mean more to him than you think. In The Corps, it is not just a word, but a rule you live your life by.

It's sad that so many people think me, me, me, nowadays. I wonder when people will realize that me, me, me doesn't get you very far in the long run.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unlike the Marine Corps, I doubt his MA instructor feeds him. If you are doing MA for someone other then yourself, then you are deluded.

Picking an MA school is not a decision that relates to the global good.

Loyalty has its place, just don't misplace it. Loyalty to the Marines comes from what the Corps gives you. Please read the quote again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 6:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to let you know I am a Marine. Anthony A... I currently train under Caique in Carson. I'm going to go over the Inosanto Academy and try a class out if they have a trial class. If anything I'll just watch a class.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast