Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 1:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was funny that the guy specifically went out of his way to hit the attackers head into the door in almost every scenario. I mean he practically had to pick the guy up once and drag him over to the door just to do it. I guess it makes a loud noise and sounds good on video.

BTW, I hope that knife was sharp because they don't use dull knives in the "hood."

Jeff

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked like a bit of an omoplata @ 2:48-2:54

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    "Never assume game is over until someone's down. A stab to the chest (especially a glancing blow) depending on knife won't kill you"

But, it will distract the hell out of you. Maybe even convince the defender to stop advancing? Could be.
    Thats if you even realize that the knife is in play. There's a great article by Bill McGrath that documents a number of knife encounters. It used to be available on line, but I haven't been able to find it in a while. Half the time the person didn't even know a knife was in play until after the fight. People have gone on record saying that they registered the stab as "a heavier than usual hit."

The fact is, there's no guessing how you're going to react until your in the scenario. Assuming anything (that the person will slow down, stop, give up, freak out, bleed out, etc.) is just that assuming with no proof.

Totally agree about jamming the guy's head into the door.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 2:35pm

Style: bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was posted in the last fortnight it's got some great advice for anyone interested in realism in their knife defense.

[gv]8884586003342147853&q[gv]

hope I got that right.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 2:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is interesting, but the scenarios presented are where the attacker is clearly not intent on killing the victim, at least not right away. In any of the scenarios, if the attacker had just started knifing, the victim would have been in a bad way.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:20pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it definitely looks like the attacker is just brandishing the knife in order to rob the guy. He seems to be presenting the knife a bit to easily to the defender. But I guess for this scenerio the defender did alright, excluding the out-of-the-way head to door bashing, and the stabbing of the guy who was down. But the defenses themselves seemed sound. He got control of the knife, and put the attacker off balance, which are two key points.

I'd be curious to see what he'd do if it were an attack where the guy just walked up, hiding the knife, then started trying to shank him in a sewing machine-style attack. This type of assault is much more difficult to deal with, and is would be the more likely style of attack for someone who really wants to do you harm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:34pm

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    Yeah, it definitely looks like the attacker is just brandishing the knife in order to rob the guy. He seems to be presenting the knife a bit to easily to the defender. But I guess for this scenerio the defender did alright, excluding the out-of-the-way head to door bashing, and the stabbing of the guy who was down. But the defenses themselves seemed sound. He got control of the knife, and put the attacker off balance, which are two key points.

I'd be curious to see what he'd do if it were an attack where the guy just walked up, hiding the knife, then started trying to shank him in a sewing machine-style attack. This type of assault is much more difficult to deal with, and is would be the more likely style of attack for someone who really wants to do you harm.
    Agreed, it looked setup (which it was). To attack without any type of warning, he would have been dogfood.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    malleusdei, Ryno:

WTF???

Just curious: How paranoid do you have to be before a person starts to contemplate developing viable defenses for a scenario when you are entirely alone, in a dimly lit and secluded hallway, and someone who pops out of nowhere tries to, from behind, assassinate you with a knife????

What next? What do you do if you walk down a blind, dark alley with hundreds of dollars falling out of your pockets and 26 Uzi-wielding Ninjas descend upon you from behind?

How dumb can it get?

There is a point where you need to just let it go. It may very well be your time to die. An RBSD scenario where someone tries to confront you at knifepoint is one thing. But a defense against someone stabbing you repeatedly from behind without warning? Sheesh. It's called a cell phone a whole lot of good luck the EMTs will reach you in time.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:54pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    Thats if you even realize that the knife is in play. There's a great article by Bill McGrath that documents a number of knife encounters. It used to be available on line, but I haven't been able to find it in a while. Half the time the person didn't even know a knife was in play until after the fight. People have gone on record saying that they registered the stab as "a heavier than usual hit."

- Matt

There are also people that have been shot in the head with nailguns and not noticed until minutes later. Same thing with people that have taken bullets in the head and thought they were scratched, or that someone spilled something on them. While this does happen, I'm not about to say that this is natural, or even worth counting on. And, if you are stabbed in the chest and even win out that fight for your wallet, you will most likely have lost more than what was in it to the hospital. So, it's a done deal whether you keep fighting or not. These senarios are about being robbed.

In this senario, the defender knows that a knife is in play. So, when he's stabbed, he most likely isn't going to keep coming.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 4:37pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a very hard critic when it come to realistic knifedefense, and I really have (edit: not) seen THE knifedefense yet. The only thing I liked about the video was that it showed the situations, where you might actually have a chance to defend yourself(mugging situations). But it didn't really look all that realistic, though it looked kind of ok.

In surprise knife attacks, I think that you are pretty much fucked. However, if he comes close to you, and more uses the knife as a threating device than a weapon, and maybe he is even a little hesistant of actually using it, you might stand a decent chance of actually applying a selfdefense technique... A lot of if's!!

But overall I think that it is FUCKED UP to risk your life for your wallet!!! I believe you should only use, whatever knife defense you can, in life threatning situations with no possibility of escape! I also think that the defensetechniques showed, will get more people injured than saved.

Lol. And yeah, as someone said, at 2.52 it looked like he had him in an ugly oma plata with a transition into an armbar armbar-thingy:icon_razz . Now who says BJJ doesn't work against a guy with a knife(please note the irony).
    Last edited by DevonHartigan; 1/03/2007 4:40pm at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast