Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 10:28am

Style: Muay Thai/KF/Boxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pretty good knife defense

I want to present this youtube video for your perusal of a knife defense as done by blacktaoist.com. I must say this is pretty realistic when compared to alot of other knife defense videos I have seen lately. It's hard, gritty, and it's chock full of Matt Thornton's daily recommended dose of vitamin "Aliveness". I am curious as to what you think. The guy in the video typically does Baguazhang, but IMO all that style bullshit goes out the window when needing to defend yourself against a knife.

Anyway here is the link.. (can someone tell me how to embed videos in posts I completely forgot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-uH93EQzKs

Thoughts?

Ja

Rei

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not bad. Reminiscent of some concepts from the STAB approach. Didn't particularly like that the defender stayed "in front" of the knife so much (especially in the second clip). Also I really couldn't tell what was happening in clip 3.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:20am

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7/ 10

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My $2.22 (adjusted for inflation) on the first scenario: Stabbing a disarmed and controlled attacker multiple times after the attacker has stopped fighting back is not defense. It is offense. Voluntary manslaughter is not a particularly good idea to suggest as an "effective" knife defense.

Aside from that, I'd say nice demos.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked good.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:27pm

Style: bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 0155 it looks as though he got hit in the chest with the first example so that's pretty much game over there, the second the knife's at his throat resistance at that point seems kind of futile and the third he's under his attacker it'd be pretty hard to fight anyone off at that point but he's in a stairwell it's not going to be easy in such a closed in environment regardless probably better to comply with demands.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:44pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They look3d like overhead stabs. Most attacks would be wait high thrust, so that it is hard to see...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by markcos262
    At 0155 it looks as though he got hit in the chest with the first example so that's pretty much game over there
    Never assume game is over until someone's down. A stab to the chest (especially a glancing blow) depending on knife won't kill you.
    Quote Originally Posted by markcos262
    He's in a stairwell it's not going to be easy in such a closed in environment regardless probably better to comply with demands.
    That was something I really liked about these. There was little presentation of the weapon. In most cases the knife was deployed as part of the attack, itself a "surprise shakedown" rather than used as a threat. What this emphasizes is that nothing is certain or pretty.

As far as compliance, once the knife is at the neck, especially in that environment, the assumption is that it is going to be used. At that point, the fact is that you're already dead, but you can hopefully fight your way back to the realm of the living.

If the knife was presented, but not yet used, there's more of an opportunity for compliance.

Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    They look3d like overhead stabs. Most attacks would be wait high thrust, so that it is hard to see...
    While the lack of at least one defense against a waist high thrust is an issue, I think suggesting that most attacks would be X is a little bit of a presumption. The best thing to assume is nothing and prepare for everything.

- Matt
    Last edited by Matt Bernius; 1/03/2007 12:59pm at .
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 1:11pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a good demo, but there is a lot of "aliveness" left out of it. How many times was the defender cut or stabbed during this demo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 1:33pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Never assume game is over until someone's down. A stab to the chest (especially a glancing blow) depending on knife won't kill you"

But, it will distract the hell out of you. Maybe even convince the defender to stop advancing? Could be.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast