BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh.

No big deal. Judo is neato stuff; if I could have found good Judo around here I'd probably do it too. In MMA/str33t contexts, I think you'll find that Muay Thai and Judo would complement each other. Muay Thai strike into clinch, Judo throw from clinch after setup with knee--that sort of thing. That was about half the RMATA training camp in the fall, setting up throws with clinching and knees. Some of it was based on trying to bait the opponent into throwing knees and then reaping the support leg, so obviously that's not going to work on someone who's not trained to throw knees. But there was some good stuff like throwing knees into a thigh to force the opponent to step it back out of range, right into a throw. I have no idea what the throw was called, but the Judo guys can probably guess. I'd like to do more serious Judo someday.

Some of your impressions of BJJ are a little off IMO but no big deal. I think you'd find if you continued to roll at that school that the blue belts slow things way down and pass up a lot of offense when they roll with brand new guys. I think most people leave their first BJJ class, at least nowadays, thinking "I got destroyed, but I was hanging in there for a minute or two! I thought it would be a lot tougher than that!"

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 10:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Congratulations, you managed to produce the ugliest and most disgusting avatar I've ever seen on Bullshido.
    Hope we post in different threads until you change that.
    Any pictures of the infected scrotum of that nice person, perhaps? Of course, only a close up would do.
    ****.:sleepy5:
    Tonuzaba
    is that better princess?

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 10:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And now for complete thread derailment Father Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40Pw6Oh4ME

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only fools dismiss the power of Judo. They tend to get over it when they get slammed.

Judo, boxing and/or wrestling are hands down the best martial sports to build MA base upon IMO. Mostly because they teach solid fundamentals and you can start training in any of these as a young child.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:24am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Only fools dismiss the power of Judo. They tend to get over it when they get slammed.

Judo, boxing and/or wrestling are hands down the best martial sports to build MA base upon IMO. Mostly because they teach solid fundamentals and you can start training in any of these as a young child.

You really ought to stop making intelligent sensible posts.

Certain people are starting to grumble that your destroying the complete BJJ nut hugging sensability that other have worked so hard to establish.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well as somebody that does both BJJ and MT I'd like to address your arguments.

Your whole "judo is street" argument holds no water whatsoever. Judo is a sport Just like BJJ and MT are sports. But BJJ and MT together make the sport of Mixed Martial Arts, which is a hell of a lot closer to a street fight than any Judo match.

The time required to submit somebody is distorted within a BJJ class. That's because it's training, not a self defense scenario. People are not going 100% all the time. But the skills you take out of that class will allow you to submit somebody who isn't a trained grappler in seconds.

The separation from your attacker thing is a bit contrived. Most judo throws bring you down to the ground with you uke. Check out this highlight and see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp2N-EyVe_k.

Also the adage: "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" applies to fighting. Closing the gap and getting in close is how you dominate somebody in a fight. Your whole concept of tossing a robber out of your house through a window is completely ridiculous.

Regarding legal issues: There is no more legally advantageous way to finish a fight than a choke. Throwing somebody so they land on the hard ground with their head is far more likely to cause a serious injury. Choking somebody puts them to sleep without doing any serious damage.

As far as your opinions about muay thai... You are wrong if you think there is no technique to the art. Yes it is physically demanding to practice the techniques... That's a good thing because your cardio is a limiting factor that you want to always be seeking to improve. After I'm done with MT I might get into bad shape, but I'm still going to retain some muscle memory about how to throw a devastating shin kick, or how to neck-wrestle somebody into a clinch where I can knee and elbow them.

For me, training is about filling up my "bag of tricks", and there are a lot more tricks to learn from BJJ+MT than Judo. I just spent my last BJJ class working exclusively on Judo throws, so don't think that BJJ is worthless for throwing people.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    is that better princess?
    Alright, alright I do have huge gaps in my education in British humor TV series...
    Tonuzaba

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:59am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyartist101
    my question to muay thai guys is what are you guys gonna do when you get in your late 40's and 50's 60's. Im pretty sure I am going to be able to use my judo throws atleast until 56 because the head instructor is 56 and rolls around with us. I have not seen on muay thai guy spar under the age of 40. Infact most guys I know who do muay thai hardcore are in their mid-to late 20's. I know about some MMA PROFESSIONAL who are getting up there in age. you wont have your youth and superior athletic abiltiy for ever.
    Damn! I'm 53, guess that means I have to quit boxing! Looks like I'll still be allowed to rassle a bit longer though. Do I have permission to keep weight lifting?

:eusa_eh:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo, Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While BJJ + Muay Thai is obviously closer to a street fight than any judo match, lazyartist wasn't intending to do judo as opposed to those two, and similarly, Judo + Muay thai would be a lot closer to a street fight than BJJ. While some judo throws might bring you to the floor with your opponent, that's generally because the competitors want to go down; as they're fighting under competition rules, they're going to try and get holds asap, on the assumption that they might not just win with the throw. The majority of thows should allow you to retain balance though, and similar to your point about a BJJ guy being able to submit a non-grappler in seconds, the likelyhood of your average person being able to throw/unbalance a judoka, if they didn't want to go down, is pretty low.

Fair enough, your average BJJ guy could probs submit your average judoka on the ground, and many judo schools don't concentrate on newaza, but judo will generally give you a v good advantage - especially against someone who 'isn't a trained grappler'.

Even to claim that BJJ or Muay Thai would be better self defence than judo would be pretty difficult; each contains relatively different techniques which have been proven to work against resisting opponents. Again, MT + BJJ would give you a lot more tricks than judo, judo + MT would give you more tricks than BJJ. Whilst BJJ isn't worthless for throwing people, judo isn't worthless on the ground.

As to the youth - muay thai vs youth - grappling proposed by lazyartist; as the above posts.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh. it's this guy again.

(edit: not you, dashel)
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast