Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 6:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo/enshin karate/mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My reasons for picking judo over bjj and muay thai.

i know bjj and muay thai are two of the most proven styles especially in the UFC and PRIDE and have been proven effective in MMA, but as a guy not training for sport i see judo way more effective in street situations. I just recently checked out both these styles from a buddy that teaches a school for both of them in My MMa club. He invited for a free class in both so I WENT to a free beginners class in both. The judo class was fun we learned like 5 basic throws from a various angles. They were real easy to pull off and really didnt tire me as far as throwing a guy. We learned like 2 subs one really. then we got to roll around for like 30 minutes. bjj class we learned like 3-4 basic subs then rolled around for like 1 hour.

Now I can only take one because of my limited schedule fom college plus im in a mma club. and im going to go with judo.

here are my reason for judo>> bjjj\ for me "PersonallY" for self defense in the street

1. it seems to take more time and energy to effectivly disable some one with a sub then to just throw them to the concrete on the street. in bjj class it took even the instructor assitant who was a blue belt like 1-2 min to get me in a sub plus the time I spent trying to fight out of the sub. thats just too much time to give up in a life or death situation that is in a uncontrolled enviroment. if someone breaks into my house i would much wrather judo throw a robber threw a window out of my house then to double leg take down and go for an armbar.

2. a good number of judo throws leave you with seperation from your attacker, while bjj subs keeps you close to them. in my opinion seperation from the attacker on the streets is better then stayin close to them one it leaves you room to run 2nd it gives you more time to counter what they might do.

3. some judo throws leave you standing on your feet while your opponent is on the ground. I prefer this to being tangles up in guard on the ground in the street. I know most bjj guys would not just drop to their back in a life or death situation but in my bjj class 95% of the time we were on the ground only time we were not was when we were setting up takedowns.

4. its cheaper and legal issues it would be easier to explain to cops that a guy ran punching towards me and i threw him pn the ground. than this dude look like he was coming at me so i double leg take down him tot he ground and rear naked choked him out.

The reason im picking judo over muay thai. alot of guys in my mma class are muay thai guys and therer hella tuff no doubt. The basic of muay thai was taught at our club and it has some good aspects, but it all seems to be too simple which is in away good. the problem is it seems muay thai effectiveness comes from the extreme conditioning more then the actual technique. i dont fight in tournaments so I will not be in muay thai condition 24/7 i work out but not for martial arts purpose i work out to stay fit and do not have condition chins or arms to really make muay thai techniques efffective. my question to muay thai guys is what are you guys gonna do when you get in your late 40's and 50's 60's. Im pretty sure I am going to be able to use my judo throws atleast until 56 because the head instructor is 56 and rolls around with us. I have not seen on muay thai guy spar under the age of 40. Infact most guys I know who do muay thai hardcore are in their mid-to late 20's. I know about some MMA PROFESSIONAL who are getting up there in age. you wont have your youth and superior athletic abiltiy for ever.

with that said either way i have to find a stand up art to supplement judo because my mma club only has like 40 min-1hour of stand up. imight go back to enshin or try out kykoushin maybe shidokan if i can find a decent school thank god i live in a big city,but muay thai just seems like a short term fix in my opinion and once you lose your athletic prowess its practically useles. note: I know you have to work out to be a good martail artist,but when it seems 80% of the effectives depends on how conditioned you are its a problem.
    Last edited by lazyartist101; 1/03/2007 7:08am at .

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just an observer in your case, but I have this feeling you'll get some serious counter-arguments here to several points in what you've written...
    Besides, I hope your nickname was created with a lot of humour, otherwise you're fucked in any art...
    Good luck in chosing and doing what you feel is right though...
    Tonuzaba

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 8:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Decent enough points. I love a good throw.

Regarding BJJ and self defense (I am sure you know this) the point is to have the ability to disentangle /reverse / sweep yourself out of a bad situation should the fight hit the ground - which it always has a high percentage of doing, and maybe finish it there should the opportunity present itself.

There are the rare (although growing) Judo schools that do a lot mroe newaze techniques that will give you some ok ground ability for a self defense situation.

It just won't be as good as BJJ

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 8:18am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo uber alles
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 8:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hold Judo in high regard however your ignorance comes in with you thinking that you can't do MT at an advanced age. If you can do Enshin, Shotokan, or any other striking art why not MT. You don't truly understand the correlation between conditioning and technique nor do I think you understand the all there is to MT if you say such things like that.

BTW there are many Pro and Amatuer MT fighters over the age of 40. I seen to fight personally.

Bottomline is that you can't do BJJ, Judo, MT, Kyokushin, etc to and old age as long as you stay active in them. You aren't going to be the same at 60 as you were at 20 regardless of what you do.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 8:24am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Judo uber alles
    I think I need to TM that as well as Basicly Just Judo.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 8:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bah! Muay Thai leg kicks hurt like a bitch.

Feck Muay Thai!!

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 9:44am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also prefer Judo to BJJ for some of the reasons mentioned above. But I still feel a good base in BJJ is important because no matter how good your throw is there is still a possibility that your attacker may drag you to the ground with him. In a case like this BJJ is an invaluable tool to have, but as long as you are working some ground skills in your Judo class you should be all right.

As far as Muay Thai relying more on conditioning than technique, I will have to respectfully disagree. I find Muay Thai can be very technical in it's application, the number of techniques being used may be few but the number of possible applications are many. I enjoy it just as much as Judo if not more. Good luck with your training!

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Feck Muay Thai!!
    Congratulations, you managed to produce the ugliest and most disgusting avatar I've ever seen on Bullshido.
    Hope we post in different threads until you change that.
    Any pictures of the infected scrotum of that nice person, perhaps? Of course, only a close up would do.
    ****.:sleepy5:
    Tonuzaba

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you never seen Father Ted Tonu?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 23 1 234511 ... LastLast