Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first month of Jiu Jitsu...

I started taking Jiu Jitsu classes at the beginning of December. I was looking for a good martial arts school after quitting my shitty karate dojo. Iím going to go ahead and compare my Jiu Jitsu and my karate dojos and my thoughts on grappling after one month of training.

1. The instructor
    Karate- My karate instructor is a real nice dude that isnít in the business for the money. He has 5 years experience in his karate system, and sadly, knows nothing about any other martial arts other than the small bit of knowledge of his karate system. Not only that, but he makes ignorant statements regarding other styles at times. (Apparently, boxers donít know how to punch properly)

Jiu Jitsu- Another friendly guy, he is a black belt in some Japanese Jiu Jitsu style and a blue/purple (donít remember) belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He keeps in touch with the MMA world. Unlike my karate instructor, this guy is really open minded and isnít afraid to learn something new about his style or other styles. On top of that, once a week we have a second instructor to come in and help us, a brown belt in BJJ. He is equally awesome.

2. Training
    Karate- After our warm up, we practice techniques. Punching, kicking, etc. Allot of the stuff is just pure repetition, which is very helpful. After that light work out, we usually go straight to Katas. Arghh. Fucking Katas. Anyways, in the time that I spent at that dojo, none of the students sparred once. There is absolutely NO aliveness in our karate training. Not even a little promise sparring. To top it off, the instructor stressed absolutely no conditioning. Overall, the training was pretty terrible. I never broke a sweat.

Jiu Jitsu- We start of with warm up and stretching. After that, we work on techniques and drills for around 45 minutes. 95% of the stuff we cover is ground fighting, but occasionally we take out some pads and do some striking as well. After the class is over, we usually roll for 30 minutes to an hour. This is the best part of the class. I've never had so much fun getting my ass kicked.

3. Students
    Karate- People of all ages are all thrown into the same class. I have to train with a bunch of little kids that really donít give a **** about martial arts and give the instructor a hard time. When it comes time to practice a technique that requires another partner, most of the time I get paired with a little kid. There are no guys in my weight division in the class, they are all bigger. Bah. I donít like walking into a dojo that trains about 2 or 3 students that want to learn how to fight and about 6 or 7 brats and moms that just donít care.

Jiu Jitsu- Thank god, the age groups are separated into different classes. When I walk into class I see nothing but warriors. These guys are fighters. They are here to learn how to fight, nothing else. They love fighting and they dedicate themselves to their art. Unlike Karate, my Jiu Jitsu class has people below, above and at my weight class. Its great to be able to fight people of all different sizes. One problem I had with Karate is the fact that I really had no true challenge. When I sparred one of the higher belts in karate (outside of the dojo), we were evenly matched. I even got the upper hand a few times. Why is a white belt hanging with a blue belt? Its Jiu Jitsu, its a completely different story. Holy **** are these guys tough. They throw me around like a rag doll before twisting my arm off. The second that I make one little mistake, they take advantage. They are always thinking and fighting back, giving me a hell of a hard time. I would not want to fight any of these guys on the street. Every one of them can hand me my ass.

4. Competition
    Karate- I love competition. I'm a great sport, so I donít mind getting handed by people better than me at whatever I compete in. Naturally, I wanted to compete in karate. At the time I knew nothing of karate tournaments. I pictured people fighting each other to see who would win. Man, was I wrong. I told my karate instructor that I wanted to compete, not knowing what I was talking about. He said that our dojo usually doesnít compete, but he could start training me for the next tournament if I wanted to. He then started making me do lots of kata. I eventually realized he was training me for a damn kata competition. I then told him I was interested in fighting other people, and he told me that I wasnít ready for such competition. Ah hell.

Jiu Jitsu- The month that I joined there was a local BJJ and Submission Wrestleing tournament in town. They invited me to go even though I really dint know anything about ground fighting yet, and I would have competed if I wasnít told about it at the last minute. I couldnít get that day off of work so quickly. I came back to the dojo the following week and found out that the school nabbed two 2nd place awards and one 1st place award. Itís great to know that the students of this school are tough enough to go that far. Although some of the students dint make it far, I still respect them just as much for going to a tournament to fight other strong fighters.

5. Conclusion
    Karate- It was my first martial art, the first time I could afford it. I joined up and loved it until I started to see how bad the place was. Although the instructor and some of the students are really cool people, I no longer trust them with my martial arts training. See yall at the bar, not the dojo. All the frustration from the crap I had to put up with in karate made Bullshido feel like home to me. I know allot of the people here at Bullshido started off the same way I did. In conclusion, Karate is a great martial art, but they sure as hell donít teach it correctly at my dojo. I would love to take up another stand up martial art someday at a school that doesnít suck.

Jiu Jitsu- So far I love everything about this place. In the month that I've been here I can tell that this place is reserved for real fighters only. The training is tough, realistic and satisfying. Some people will think I'm crazy for paying money so I could go get slammed, thrown and choked three times a week. If thats true then its insane to pay money to have some guy teach you how to develop a false sense of security. Jiu Jitsu rocks. I paid for 3 months in advance today. I donít plan on leaving any time soon.

Jiu Jitsu wins.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:07am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe you could break that post back up and produce 2 dojo reviews in one fell swoop!

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ wins again.
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 9:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And krotty loses again.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cesar, you'll only get better if you train with people better than you.
    After a long time and hard work, you'll be tapping people out, too.

Congrats on finding a good JJ school.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2007 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, anyways, theres something else this school does that I did not know about. Every once in a while my instructor brings MMA gear and we spar under MMA rules! Thats already more striking sparring sessions than I ever did in Krotty. God I love this place.