Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 10:10am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    A small note: I am big dude. I will tell you, having someone on your chest is unpleasant, period. I don't care for the weight of a guy half my size on my chest, much less someone large. But you get used to it. You get better and more fluid at getting into and out of the positions of grappling and it takes the edge off of it.
    I started yesterday with a training partner that is my size, he's 260lbs. I've been expecting to train with my size or bigger sooner or later, so I've been doing the following to help with my breathing.

I bought a leather everlast medicine ball. With it on the floor, I hover above it in pushup position, and lower my solar plexus onto it, my toes are still flexed. Once my balance and weight is on it properly, I'll remove my hands holding me up and place them behind my back. Now all my weight is on my solar plexus.

This is a perfect way for you to learn how to breathe while your chest is compressed.

Good luck!

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 10:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a card carrying member of LMOA (Little Men of America), I'm not a big fan of grounding with you big bastards. We have a guy who's a solid 6'9" - that's me, plus 13 inches, by the way (vertical, not horiztonal) and you don't want to know the weight difference. I have agility working for me, but gravity difinitely works against me!
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 10:31am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxot
    From the more experienced BJJ practitioners, what is the weight difference until BJJ is completely useless? The Gracie's used jiu jitsu in MMA against people who outweighed them by at least 20lbs.
    I generally don't have a problem with someone who is 50 pounds heavier than I am and is around my skill level. For blues and whites the weight advantage is fairly negligible until the difference is more than 100 pounds (unless they're really strong). I usually walk around at 175-80.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 10:54am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxot
    I guess I'm on the right track then. I hope to see lots of improvement over the course of the next few months, as I am currently a white belt. If all else fails then gun fu it is, desert eagle style.
    1. Your body type has its own specific advantages that you need to learn how to use. For example, I'm a skinny fucker. I'm 6'1" and normally about 150-155 lbs, and also pretty damn flexible. A lot of big guys have a lot of trouble holding me down because I use my flexibility to stay slippery, and my long, skinny legs to hook legs and stuff and get back to half guard. Don't even get me started on triangles :-). The point is, if you're smaller than them that gives you some advantages; you just can't muscle through them all the time.

2. Don't carry a Desert Eagle. You shouldn't even joke about that. Retardest carry weapon ever.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    1. Your body type has its own specific advantages that you need to learn how to use. For example, I'm a skinny fucker. I'm 6'1" and normally about 150-155 lbs, and also pretty damn flexible. A lot of big guys have a lot of trouble holding me down because I use my flexibility to stay slippery, and my long, skinny legs to hook legs and stuff and get back to half guard. Don't even get me started on triangles :-). The point is, if you're smaller than them that gives you some advantages; you just can't muscle through them all the time.

2. Don't carry a Desert Eagle. You shouldn't even joke about that. Retardest carry weapon ever.
    Love that avitar.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 11:47am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Love that avitar.
    Can't go wrong with Sinfest.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 1:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't carry a Desert Eagle. You shouldn't even joke about that. Retardest carry weapon ever.
    Seconded.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123