Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:02pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    this post needs to be stickied or something
    hey, thanks. but what should i call my idea? the beatdown list? i dunno..

Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    Head shots. A big guy has a much better chance of surviving body shots.
    as a law enforcement officer, i trust your gun fu to be better than mine, and i will remember your advice if the situation arises.

criminals beware: being a lardass will not save you from head-shot-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 11:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'm on the right track then. I hope to see lots of improvement over the course of the next few months, as I am currently a white belt. If all else fails then gun fu it is, desert eagle style.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 12:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, wrestling, judo soon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look i'm 145;bs and i have tapped guys that wieght 320lbs

i can take them down, but i can't old them there

What i do is take an open guard with them not toucing me at all then i use my feet to push on their head, and generally keep as far away as possible, once they tire out a bit they will open up an chance to hit something. don't wiat just hit whatever move you can as hard as you can chokes are good, because they can't use theri size to help them like in a kimura. I usually get them to reach for my head or lappel through my legs at some point. then i hit an armbar.

That being said if they are even resonably good run the hell away and roll with someone else. Don't let them get a hold of you or you are screwed

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 12:42am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A small note: I am big dude. I will tell you, having someone on your chest is unpleasant, period. I don't care for the weight of a guy half my size on my chest, much less someone large. But you get used to it. You get better and more fluid at getting into and out of the positions of grappling and it takes the edge off of it.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 12:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentojo
    That being said if they are even resonably good run the hell away and roll with someone else.
    not fighting just because you know you're gonna lose is a great way to not learn anything and continue sucking.

i'm your size and i rolled with a guy that big yesterday.

we agreed to let me start in cross-side on account of size difference.

i consider it a major success that although he escaped it every single time, after a while he was audibly exerting himself to do so.

if i made it the slightest bit difficult for a guy that big to get out from under me, i've sure as hell accomplished something.

don't deprive yourself of experiences like that.

unless you have injured ribs or something, then run the **** away as you suggested. nobody needs that much weight on them.

or hell, just agree to start the smaller guy on top and work specific techniques or escapes. everybody wins!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 1:22am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Losing at class isn't always losing. If you fight and lose often against bigger people, you will still be better practicied if you have to fight a bigger guy in a competitive or self defense situation.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 1:44am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it depends on the skill and abillity of the large guy. In that Gracie clip, akebono didn't stand a chance. He spent his whole life practicing a sport that ends the moment someone hits the ground. You could see he had no problem taking gracie to the ground then he just sort of stopped working. I feel bad for him. He has been making appearances in all sorts of fight venues and losing. He retired as one of the best in his field and now people pay money to see kickboxers and grapplers whip his ass. I happen to be closer to the akebono side than the gracie side but I have training on the ground and can move pretty good for a guy my size. I have beaten smaller guys and been tapped out by smaller guys. There are only so many ways I can use my size as an advantage, once someone has trained their way around it it's all up to my technique. If I were to make a suggestion for going against that extreme of an opponent, don't use a standard guard. If you are practically doing the splits when he is in your guard, switch to a butterfly guard or a rubber guard. Both of these open up options that work well against us biggens. Training with a larger partner will make you stronger.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 3:28am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxot
    From the more experienced BJJ practitioners, what is the weight difference until BJJ is completely useless? The Gracie's used jiu jitsu in MMA against people who outweighed them by at least 20lbs.

I was rolling with this guy and I only weigh 140lbs. I swear the guy had to be 400lbs. I had him in a full guard and he just leans forward and it's over, nothing I can do and it hurts like hell.

I couldn't breathe and was about to tap out but luckily the timer went off.

Is there any martial arts that gives a good chance against people who are fairly bigger than you?
    I choked out a cop who weighed 100 pounds more than me. It was simply a matter of me knowing more than him, he did something stupid, I took the back and choked him out. If he'd known as much or even a little less than I did, he'd have killed me.

By the by, this was friendly sparring, not a street fight.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 9:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Losing at class isn't always losing. If you fight and lose often against bigger people, you will still be better practicied if you have to fight a bigger guy in a competitive or self defense situation.
    I've generally learned more from 'losing' in class than from 'winning'
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 9:23am

Style: Tapping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    I've generally learned more from 'losing' in class than from 'winning'
    Amen! I've had plenty of "Note to self, do NOT do that again" moments. :happy11:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast