Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 2:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ vs. Larger weight class

From the more experienced BJJ practitioners, what is the weight difference until BJJ is completely useless? The Gracie's used jiu jitsu in MMA against people who outweighed them by at least 20lbs.

I was rolling with this guy and I only weigh 140lbs. I swear the guy had to be 400lbs. I had him in a full guard and he just leans forward and it's over, nothing I can do and it hurts like hell.

I couldn't breathe and was about to tap out but luckily the timer went off.

Is there any martial arts that gives a good chance against people who are fairly bigger than you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:34am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gun fu works on anybody.

i like to think everyone has an unwritten and mostly unknown "list" of people they can reliably beat down. my list is a hell of a lot shorter than say, fedor emelianenko's.

if everyone were untrained, the list would include everyone smaller and weaker than you.

as you train, you will start adding people your size and as strong as you.

and eventually you will include a few people larger and stronger than you on that list.

however, as other people train, they will remove themselves from or relocate themselves on your list.

if you're trying to make your list include everyone on the planet, you need to acquire massive numbers of nuclear weapons and stop wasting time with this jiu-jitsu ****.

that's how i see it. training gives you an advantage in addition to size and strength, but size and strength are still advantages in themselves. you can be big, strong, and highly skilled at the same time, and that's just the way it is.

on a more positive note, as you learn not to oppose force with force, then you will find that brute force ceases to be as effective against you as it was.

oh, and one of my instructors encourages us to "treat our opponents like furniture" so that we don't waste gas trying to move them into position, but rather move ourselves around them and into position. i'm sure that mentality would help to some degree with a 400 pound opponent.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:38am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=N0_svVIDORQ

Don't be on the bottom.

If you do end up on bottom and the guy is so big that you can't lock your feet, then it's a pretty good indication that you should be playing an open guard. If you use your feet to push on his hips it should keep most of the weight off of you. If he's passed your guard (or you just suck) and he starts smothering you with his upper body, create a frame by sliding the blade of your left forearm into his throat or face, grab your left wrist with your right hand, and post your right elbow against your chest or the mat. It will relieve a lot of the pressure unless he likes jamming his throat into your forearm. Underhooks and getting to your side are your friend as well. The fat man smother opens up a lot of sweeps and the opportunity to take the back via the underhook and getting to your side.

More:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ghlight=larger

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:41am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxot
    Is there any martial arts that gives a good chance against people who are fairly bigger than you?
    I think every martial art claims to do this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:51am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    I think every martial art claims to do this.
    no kidding. coincidentally, the martial arts that work reliably against people your own size are the same martial arts that will work best against people bigger than you.

wild, isn't it?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    gun fu works on anybody.

i like to think everyone has an unwritten and mostly unknown "list" of people they can reliably beat down. my list is a hell of a lot shorter than say, fedor emelianenko's.

if everyone were untrained, the list would include everyone smaller and weaker than you.

as you train, you will start adding people your size and as strong as you.

and eventually you will include a few people larger and stronger than you on that list.

however, as other people train, they will remove themselves from or relocate themselves on your list.

if you're trying to make your list include everyone on the planet, you need to acquire massive numbers of nuclear weapons and stop wasting time with this jiu-jitsu ****.

that's how i see it. training gives you an advantage in addition to size and strength, but size and strength are still advantages in themselves. you can be big, strong, and highly skilled at the same time, and that's just the way it is.

on a more positive note, as you learn not to oppose force with force, then you will find that brute force ceases to be as effective against you as it was.

oh, and one of my instructors encourages us to "treat our opponents like furniture" so that we don't waste gas trying to move them into position, but rather move ourselves around them and into position. i'm sure that mentality would help to some degree with a 400 pound opponent.
    this post needs to be stickied or something

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 6:45am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the more experienced BJJ practitioners, what is the weight difference until BJJ is completely useless? The Gracie's used jiu jitsu in MMA against people who outweighed them by at least 20lbs.
    Well, it looks like 180 lbs vs 480 lbs isn't enough of a difference:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...58887413654428

If you've got the skills, you can negate truly amazing weight differences. Keep training and you'll pick up the tools you need.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 8:51am

Style: Tapping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the more experienced BJJ practitioners, what is the weight difference until BJJ is completely useless? The Gracie's used jiu jitsu in MMA against people who outweighed them by at least 20lbs. I was rolling with this guy and I only weigh 140lbs. I swear the guy had to be 400lbs. I had him in a full guard and he just leans forward and it's over, nothing I can do and it hurts like hell. I couldn't breathe and was about to tap out but luckily the timer went off. Is there any martial arts that gives a good chance against people who are fairly bigger than you?
    Call'im a fat ass and maybe he'll go on a diet. :laughing9 Just joshin'!!

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Don't be on the bottom.
    Damn!! Is *that* what I'm doing wrong?? :new_smile *sigh*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 9:04am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say you are on right track doing BJJ for that. Generally, grappling MAs (BJJ, Judo, etc.) are better suited to take on larger opponents. In striking, smaller person will end up taking hella more damage unless you can outstrike your larger opponent significantly. This is under assumption that when you mean larger, you don't mean just weight wise but also height which affects reach as well.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 9:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gun fu works on anybody.
    Head shots. A big guy has a much better chance of surviving body shots. There was a big nutjob here who took 5 .40 shots to the body. He not only lived, he shat out a bullet at the county jail. They actually called for someone to go collect the bullet for evidentiary purposes...
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast