221920 Bullies, 3926 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 1:48pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to my first TD in a couple of months, and then another later in the year. My views on it are the same as in life: Don't be a ****!

If my nose gets broken whilst in the course of sparring I'm not going to be ecstatically happy but I'm not going to do anything to the person who did it. It's part of the risk you assume by practicing a MA, if you're not willing to accept that you shouldn't getting on the mat, any mat.

If, however, someone gets pissed at having to tap to me, leaves the mat and comes back with a big stick and breaks my nose, I'll be bringing the full force of legal fu to bear.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 1:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would hope that martial arts (or whatever you like to call them) are practiced in a atmosphere of presumed risk.

this doesn't even begin to cover the potential for trouble if two people don't have the same idea about what "medium" or "hard" or "full contact" sparring actually is...
    I understand the potential, but that is why we, as adults, should be able to say, "Hey, back it down a little bit. You're going a little hard for me right now." If you can't say that because you're afraid your dick might shrink, you deserve to be punched harder than you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:03pm

Style: bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdave
    "Oh Noes!!!! I've been kidnapped and forced to compete in t3h und3rgr0und kum1t3!!!! Worse yet, they compelled me to sign a waiver!!!!"
    Hahaha, that's good I only brought it up cos a friend had told me a document is inadmissable in court if it doesn't have a witness co-sign said document dunno if that's true though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have there been any incidents of unwanted, and unwarranted aggression at a throwdown?
    Ignoring tap-outs, things like that?

Some dicks just like to hurt people, and I could forsee a situation where some big jerk who never got hugs from dad going too far and really hurting somebody. That could come back on the promoter/venue owner...

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been to three...and I have been embarrased 3 times...Throwdowns™ lowered my self-asteem...I have called an attorney and papers are being filed now!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 3:59pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera26
    Some dicks just like to hurt people, and I could forsee a situation where some big jerk who never got hugs from dad going too far and really hurting somebody. That could come back on the promoter/venue owner...

Yeah, but that can happen in any gym or classroom when you spar, it just kind of comes with the territory.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the Oxford Throwdown in the UK we didn't use waivers. None of us were lawyers to my knowledge. We just assumed it would be ok if nobody was a dick, and if somebody was a dick they'd be in the minority and there'd be enough capable people watching to break things up. Just like you don't need to sign a waiver to play rugby.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 5:02pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by markcos262
    Hahaha, that's good I only brought it up cos a friend had told me a document is inadmissable in court if it doesn't have a witness co-sign said document dunno if that's true though.
    Your friend is a lawyer I presume?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 5:06pm

Style: Bujutsu / Muay Thai / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At our Melbourne throwdown, Mut Sao made it quite clear that anyone acting like an asshole would have to get up and go. It was Mut Sao's dojo...it was his rules, and his instructor was their to participate so as it was his premises, it was easy to enforce. People were quite clear of that from the discussions on here first.

Also, we had all agreed that each sparring match would only go as fast and as hard as the participants would take it. In other words, if two guys were sparring and there had been the chance that one was really green, then the other more experienced fighter would then use his wsdom to lighten up a touch. This didn't need to happen in the end, but it was the mindset we had set our throwdown around.

I Liked the fact that at our throwdown we started off with some straightforward BJJ style grappling with no strikes. It was a good ice-breaker - a way for each person to get to know the way the other guy plays and also to take away any built up nerves/anxiety that could result in a guy making himself look like a hero/cockhead.

Johnny S also made a good suggestion about having people from different styles talk a little about their system and what they like about it. Maybe even show one or two things. Its another good way for people to really see what each style has to offer.

Just some food for thought.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 5:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Tanto

Johnny S also made a good suggestion about having people from different styles talk a little about their system and what they like about it.
    Jumping up the ceiling and ninja staring you in freaking sweet!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast