Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:37am

Style: Bujutsu / Muay Thai / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kid's tell it straight...

Now quite a few months back. We had a family visit us for my son Timothy’s 7th birthday. Their son, Ross, had gone to Kinder with my boy and was telling him as we all sat in the back yard that he had just started taking TKD. He was telling Tim all about it, and Tim was so interested in the topic that he asked if he could see some, to which Ross started kicking him in the thigh. Angry and hurt, Tim just turned around and pushed him down hard. (Tim’s a strong kid) Saying “what did you do that for?”

Ross’s dad turned to me and says “you better do something about your kid before he get’s bullied”

Well, for many weeks, Timothy started bugging me to put him in martial arts. All his school friends are currently training in karate or TKD and I guess after what happened with Ross, he either felt left out or unable to defend himself. I talked to my wife about it, she pointed out that he already trains in soccer and swimming so my another activity meant another place to be driven to and another day where he can’t just be a kid. It was just too much.

My wife says all of a sudden, “So why don’t YOU show him some stuff? You have been doing it long enough…” and it got me thinking that yes she was right. So I took it upon myself to start showing him some basic stuff here and there. Nothing flash, just a basic strong stance, a decent guard and a jab/ cross combo for him to work on the bag, as well as some basic blocks etc. My sister’s husband has been boxing for many years and really loves my kids. With Timothy’s new interest in self defence, my brother-in-law has now found great fun is showing him al sorts of things like shadow boxing and ways to use his guard as a block etc…all in all Tim’s been having a lot of fun.

When my friend Shane (the wolf on here) last came around to go through some ground fighting drills from his MMA gym with me, Timothy sat on the lawn beside us and watched quite seriously, then later I caught him messing about with his 5 year old brother, trying out whatever he had seen. He started asking me a lot of questions about what to do if another boy was to pin him down or try and put him in a headlock etc… I tell him what I can and keep it as basic as I can, and always point out that what he is learning is not for going out to pick fights but for keeping fit and self protection.

So anyway, that’s the background to this story, okay?

Now Little Ross and his family came over again last weekend because my wife had been in hospital. The boys started talking and Ross starts talking about what he is learning at his TKD.
    Timothy says “Oh Cool! I’m doing martial arts too now!”
    The boy asked him what he was learning.
    My son, confused, looked at me and asked “What am I learning Dad?”
    I just shrugged and said “A bit of everything, Tim. I don’t know”
    Tim had a think, looked back and said “Its like boxing and groundfighting”
    Little Ross just started laughing. “You learn ground FARTING!” he said. “You like fighting FARTS...you like FARTING.”
    Timothy got really red in the face and said. “I said ground fighting!”
    ‘The ground doesn’t kick stupid,’ then Ross suddenly Kicks Tim in the thigh. And bloody hard too. But this time, as he kicked, Tim just grabbed him in a clumsy bear hug around the torso, arms captured and all and pushed forward, hooking one leg behind Ross’s knee, sending the poor kid falling backwards with my son crashing right on top of him.

By the time I rushed in to break it up, Timothy had sat up, thrown one half decent punch that had connected and pushed Ross’s face sideways into the grass. The poor kid was howling. His parents were freaking.
    I said “Timothy! Stop it.”
    To which he yelled “he started it. He kicked me first.”

Ross’s dad starts going all crazy “what the fuck’s going on here!” he yells.
    My younger son…at the very wise age of five looks at Ross’s dad and says quite matter-of-factly: “It’s not Tim’s fault. TKD is poo. Ground fighting is better.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:43am

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best story eva.

Your son will be showing everyone that TKD sucks for many years to come. Good job.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the moral of the story, boys and girls, is that Shooto and MMA training beats all.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol. It's amazing how effective you can make a child be when compared to the ability of other kids. Especially bullies who aren't expecting that. I had a few such scenarios repeated back to me by happy parents of kids I did privates with...only without the funny commentary of younger siblings at the end like that.

Good for you man.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    So the moral of the story, boys and girls, is that Shooto and MMA training beats all.
    BINGO!

If you saw the expression on Ross when Tim just rushed in like that...it was just pure shock and he just froze.

Thinking back...I remember a similar feeling the first time I was pulled into to that Muay Thai style clinch (where they pull your head to their chest). Its that moment when your opponent stops following the nomal series of events, what we believe to be the natural order of fighting - move around, punch, kick, block move around - and come at you without hesitation...its the shock factor of it that gets you people I think.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:59am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your kid sounds like hes gonna be the fucking winner when hes older.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 1:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    your kid sounds like hes gonna be the fucking winner when hes older.
    Yeah his three main attributes are 1) that he is solid and very strong for his age 2) he is fit (from swimming and soccer) and 3) he listens.

I'll see if I can get my hands on some footage of Tim doing his Jab/Cross combo on the bag or grappling with his brother. Most people hear my wife tell stories of Tim doing that stuff and say "oh how cute" until they actually see him do it. Then just go "is he really only 7?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 1:58am

Style: S.H.I.T. MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tanto, i almost died within the last 24 hours (really) i'm glad i didnt or otherwise i would have missed this grand story. two thumbs up!

however, if it didn't happen on video, it didn't happen. get me some kiddie gong sau!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 7:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch989

however, if it didn't happen on video, it didn't happen. get me some kiddie gong sau!!
    Damn straight! And I came home from work tonight to find my boys messing about on the bag in the garage and captured some of it on my phone's camera.

My boys rolling

Alas there is no sound, but you can see Tim my seven year old doing some bag work (Sure he needs to keep his guard up, stop leaning forward and bend his knees more but hell...not bad I say for a 7 year old! ****, I've seen guys look a lot worse than that at 27 years old) and then some footage of both my boys grappling.

You will notice a couple of things, one that both are keenly aware that they are rolling on concrete covered only by a thin matt and so Timothy is very gentle with his handling of his brother as he understands that Dean is a lot smaller. I make a big effort to make them understand that safety comes first, training later.

But having said that, you will also see that Tim still does realise moments when there is an oportunity to punch or strike and he subconsciously indicates it with light taps or mock-punching. He also has developed an uderstanding of leaning in close to minimise distance when in mount (as you will see in the end)

I also like the fact that Tim understands the need to boost someone's confidence when they are trying to learn something, and you will note when Dean tries for a rear choke, Tim kind of just waits for him to put it on then makes a very obvious and animated tap-out. (he then turned to me and said very loudly "wow dad, did you see how STRONG Dean is!!!") Dean looked like he was ready to explode he was so swelled with pride.

Anyway...that's enough of me showing off my boys! It just goes to show that sometimes if you give them a handful of basics as well as an understanding of training safe, and just let them work on them, slowly grasping the concepts at first to eventually polish and improve on them, it will be a great foundation to make them awesome fighters one day when they mature...

And to anyone out there that says resistance training is dangerous...well if a 5 and 7 year old can do it with the understanding of training safely, then there is no excuse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 7:48am

Style: Ex-wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blimey, 7 and 5 year olds. very nice! i'm 21, i did 6 months of wing chun before i saw the light and i'm pretty sure your 7 year old could beat the **** out of me. i reckon i could take dean the whole 12 rounds though, and maybe win on a split decision. but then again, i did wing chun so i might accidentally punch myself in the face and knock myself out.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast