Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 2:41am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    ... I remember that real ninjas can't fly, teleport, or win fights.
    They can't? Damn!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 1:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well after playing, does anyone know where I could learn Marshal Law's double spinning back flip kick? I figure I would be able to win any fight and never worry about countering because my opponent will be eating foot all day long.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 2:23pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to Tekken, my kickboxing has improved a lot, with new combos such as the spinning backfist, lead hand spinning backfist, cross, or the uppercut to the body which lifts my opponent onto my fist, and then I overhand them into the ground while they're stuck on my hand. My standard boxing has also improved a lot, now I lean backward so that my head is almost toughing the ground and throw and "uppercut" in front of myself to counter body-level kicks.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 8:22pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, me too. my whole concept of ground fighting has changed from wrestling to spinning sweeps and the phoenix fist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 9:47pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, i skimmed the first page, apologies if i am being redundant.

I had the same problem, in fact i think most beginners have to go through the stages of learning to punch and then learning to defend and then kind of blending the two... Maybe its not so much that you are afraid to get hit or anything like that but that you can't do two things at once. If you are defending, you are defending and so you do not yet have the ability to attack because you are soo concentrated on blocking, trying to remember what to do.

The solution i think, is time... but there must be ways to help this transition along. I tried to get the ball rolling by really looking to land one punch when the guy is throwing a combo... just one punch... Maybe he has you cornered or against the ropes and hes throwin a few punches, choose a moment and let fly one solid punch... Some will land, some wont but at least you're doing two things at once... You will really have to will yourself into it because your instinct at this point is to defend... as you get comfy with that you will find yourself doing it unconciously just like your attacking and defending is unconcious... but it is a naturrally more difficult thing to do because it is a sitaution with more variables and because of that it is more demanding functionally.

You could also "play brawl". Like 30% power and 70% speed... have you and your partner thqwo punches at each other without defending... nice and controlled but get used to moving your head (not covering up) while you throw your punches and he throws his... you will learn to roll with them and to keep moving... to be honest i havent used this one much but i saw Shogun and WAnderlei do something like this and it seemed like a great drill, if thats in fact what they were doing :) The couple times i did try it, we got undisciplined and started sparring normally... so maybe choose a good partner for this one.

Alex
    Last edited by Tofu; 1/03/2007 9:56pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 9:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrrrdx
    When I spar I have no idea what I get hit with half the time unless its a kick. I would say our sparring is fighting speed but 30% power.
    i sure hope it isnt 30% all the time if you are planning on fighting soon.

one thing that will help is when you take a hit on a glove immediately fire back with that gloves. this can take a while to get used to but if you do it fast enough you are almost guaranteed a hit because the guy is most likely to throw off his other hand and will very likely drop that one slightly. try doing this in class in a sparring drill working up the speed and power.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 12:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    i sure hope it isnt 30% all the time if you are planning on fighting soon.

one thing that will help is when you take a hit on a glove immediately fire back with that gloves. this can take a while to get used to but if you do it fast enough you are almost guaranteed a hit because the guy is most likely to throw off his other hand and will very likely drop that one slightly. try doing this in class in a sparring drill working up the speed and power.
    Well in intermediate classes its 30% because of skill level and such. In the advanced classes its a lot harder. Not hard enough to injure but hard enough to possibly get knocked out if you arent blocking appropriately. I would say like 60% power for heavy sparring.

Tonight I was a little better, and like your advice, as soon as I felt the glove or leg hit me be it a block or land I would fire right back. I would normally catch him as his hands are going back to cover. I did find that I tend to smother myself, most everyone I spar with is much shorter than me so they like to come in to avoid my reach. Once they come in to knee territory or elbow range the begin with the punches and I try to fight from that close distance and not make distance to help me aviod hit, but I also lose most of my power from smothering myself.

I hope to fight in June though, and if all goes well then I hope it can happen.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 4:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as a taller guy i suggest you get really good at the clinch n knee. a lot of gyms dont practice the clinch nearly enough. this is basically why i won the fight in my sig

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 8:08am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As you mentioned in your own post, when you get used to getting hit a little more, you'll be more confident in trying a counter and such.

(THIS IS ASSUMING YOU'RE AN ORTHODOX/RIGHT-HANDED FIGHTER)

There are some boxing counters that you can learn that will be extremely helpful. For instance, your opponent throws a jab at your face. You use your guard hand to "catch it" in the palm of your glove. Immediately, you step forward and throw a stiff jab. Particularly with newer fighters who don't keep their guard up, you can stun them a little and rock them back on their heels if you do it hard enough.

Similar idea to what Alex said - they throw a jab, you catch it in the palm of your rear hand, then you fire back immediately with a CROSS. If they're slow in bringing it back or they drop it, then you have a clear shot.

These two alone are effective and don't have the added complications of slipping, sidestepping, etc. If you have a bud you can work this with focus mitts, have them jab as you counter with your jab or cross.

3-4 months of training is good, with 5x a week. Keep it up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 4:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well on a plus side I went to his beginners class which is just all real basic technique, just how to throw a punch or how to kick class only has 2 students so i am going to start going to that, he said he can work with me there. We work the clinch in the advance class, not as often though. Two weeks ago we had a class dedicated just to neck wrestling and clinch work. I will talk to the instructor though.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast