Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 12:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trouble Countering

Well I have been training since September. I go 5 times a week 2 days are sparring classes the others are conditioning/pad work/heavy bag/partner drills/and lots of focus on technique again with partners.

I have been sparring for about a month now and I have defense down pretty well to where I can block punches, check kicks and all that. Offense I feel confident and I can land plenty of shots (depending on the level of my partner). Here comes my problem, with offense I can move around while keeping good footwork keeping loose.

When being attacked I can keep my eyes on my opponent but when it comes to a counter the ONLY times I can counter is either the instant before an attack or right when he is finished with his attack. I tend to always half commit to the attack, ill go in but then as I see another attack coming back to covering up. Now I am not afraid to get hit, more than I am just not used to it (I have never been in a fight in my life, or been hit before this). Every once and a while I can sneak in a good jab, hook, or kick. But when I try to counter my footwork goes out the door because I am more of a me bracing myself over my trying to set something up. I know I am gonna get hit when I try to counter as well, so I do get hit so its not liek I am afraid.

My instructor says he has confidence in me and I just need to spar more to get used to it and he thinks my first official fight could be in June.

Are there any drills or tips that could give me some assistance? Or is the only solution just spar spar spar. (Sorry for the long ass post, I was just trying to be detailed)

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 12:13am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously keep talking with your instructor and working hard. Buidling skill takes time.

One thing I'd suggest is that instead of sparring, to spend some time "timing".

"Timing" is sparring a 25%-50% speed and power. At my school we use timing to train and sparring to test ourselves.

On a scale from 1-10, with 10 being an actual fight, timing is a 4-6 while sparring might be 7-9.

Often when I get hit in sparring, I don't know what I got hit with, let alone what I could have done to prevent it. The lower speed of timing allows you to realize what you did wrong and and make corrections.

If you're not getting hit at all, you're going to slow and take it up a notch. Continue to raise the intesity level until you're getting hit, but stop before you don't know with what or why.

You can go back and both between timing and sparring. Like I said, timing to build skills, sparring to test them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 12:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh okay, thanks for that help!

When I spar I have no idea what I get hit with half the time unless its a kick. I would say our sparring is fighting speed but 30% power.

I will talk to my instructor about timing, the closest thing I have done to that is premeditated combos. But at a slow pace, say 20%-30% speed. I will just have my partner speed things up and not worry about him hitting me.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 11:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It takes time. You are still fairly new man don't be hard on yourself.

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 10:48am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrrrdx
    Well I have been training since September. I go 5 times a week 2 days are sparring classes the others are conditioning/pad work/heavy bag/partner drills/and lots of focus on technique again with partners.

I have been sparring for about a month now and I have defense down pretty well to where I can block punches, check kicks and all that. Offense I feel confident and I can land plenty of shots (depending on the level of my partner). Here comes my problem, with offense I can move around while keeping good footwork keeping loose.

When being attacked I can keep my eyes on my opponent but when it comes to a counter the ONLY times I can counter is either the instant before an attack or right when he is finished with his attack. I tend to always half commit to the attack, ill go in but then as I see another attack coming back to covering up. Now I am not afraid to get hit, more than I am just not used to it (I have never been in a fight in my life, or been hit before this). Every once and a while I can sneak in a good jab, hook, or kick. But when I try to counter my footwork goes out the door because I am more of a me bracing myself over my trying to set something up. I know I am gonna get hit when I try to counter as well, so I do get hit so its not liek I am afraid.

My instructor says he has confidence in me and I just need to spar more to get used to it and he thinks my first official fight could be in June.

Are there any drills or tips that could give me some assistance? Or is the only solution just spar spar spar. (Sorry for the long ass post, I was just trying to be detailed)
    I was having the same problems, and my coach's answer is to move sideways and counter-attack a different level.

For e.g. he's coming in hard with punches. You can cover up your hands, and start kicking his legs. You can go for either outside leg kicks or insider leg kicks, depending on which is nearer. So you always have 4 targets to choose from. You always go for inner leg if it's available, then outer leg, inner leg does more damage and is harder to condition. While kicking, keep moving off by pivoting on your front leg and drawing the other leg backwards wherever possible, and try to pivot in 90 degrees (sabaki movement).

It doesn't work so well if you're going easy, but if you kick his legs hard a few times, he'll be wary of charging in. Those leg kicks hurt like hell, especially the inner leg kicks. Land with your shin. You must make your opponent feel some pain for him to stop wanting to keep attacking.

A drill we practice is one side attacks and the other side only blocks, and counterattacks with leg kicks only. After awhile, you get the hang of it. Quite quickly actually.

Countering kicks should not be so difficult. We do the basic muay thai drill - check kick, land, and rear leg immediately counters with a kick back. Do it repeatedly hundreds of times with a partner, then on a heavy bag, until it becomes a reflex. Then do it for a rear-leg check kick, front leg return, or rear-leg check kick, switch, prev. front leg return.

You should also go step by step for sparring.

The first stage of sparring is like this -

- One opponent throws an attack (1, 2, 3), you block (1, 2, 3) and when he stops throwing, you return fire (1,2,3). It doesn't always have to be 3, it can be 2, 4 or 5. If you're doing MMA, keep combinations to 3 or below.

Only after you've become very comfortable with this do you move up to the next step. This is where you attempt to break the other person's rhythm mid-stride and break his attack, by counterattacking before he's done.

E.g.

- he goes to throw a jab cross lowkick. You block the jab and once you feel contact on your arms, you return fire, not waiting for him to finish.

Normally for punches, you return the same hand as his attack. For e.g. he attacks with a left jab, you'll return with a left jab, your hand "following" his back after his attack.

I'm no expert, but this has been my experience in my journey of discovery. Hope it is of some help.
    Last edited by PPlate; 1/02/2007 10:52am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice! I will try some of that at sparring tonight. I guess one plus is I have a long reach being as I am 6'2" but my big mistake being new to the whole thing is getting frustrated and I end up moving out of my range and into my opponents. I also think I will work with a student who has been training for a few years to try to help me out on the fly.

As far as being hard on myself, im not overly harsh, I find my weaknesses and I try as hard as I can to overcome them. Its just so much harder with MT then the sports I did such as track and cross country lol.

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 8:32pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Play more Tekken.

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On second thought listen to everybody else.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 9:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, your advice was better.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    1/03/2007 12:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After playing Tekken I get this strange urge to train Ninjitsu like Yoshimitsu then I remember that real ninjas can't fly, teleport, or win fights.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast